-Caveat Lector-

*** Mob hit man admits to killings

BOSTON (AP) - A mob hit man who told federal prosecutors he killed 20
people in gangland shootings pleaded guilty Thursday to 10 murders
and to racketeering and extortion charges. John Martorano, 58, agreed
to the plea worked out with federal prosecutors that calls for a
12-1/2-year sentence in exchange for testifying against his cohorts
in a major mob trial. As U.S. District Court Judge Mark Wolf read the
78 charges against him and asked if he understood them, Martorano
repeatedly replied, "Yes, your honor." The deal still needed approval
from Wolf, who has expressed concerns about the arrangement. In a
recent ruling, Wolf noted that Martorano turned informant only after
learning that codefendants in a racketeering case were FBI informants
for decades. The judge was concerned that the way the information was
gathered was tainted. See
http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561410569-419
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Does the death penalty deter murder?  Suppose I come home early one
day and find my Significant Other in bed with another.  Instead of
saying, "Move over and pass the Vaseline," I go red with rage, grab
the shotgun out of my truck and blow'em away.  That's Murder One,
two counts - a long slow ride to death row, especially if one or
both of'em are white and I'm not.  Did the death penalty deter me?

But suppose I'm John The Shark, and I work for Tony The Tiger, and
my job is killing people, mostly "business" competitors of Tony's.
And I get caught somewhere along the line, but I cut a deal with
the prosecutors: give me a light sentence and I'll give you Tony,
testify about the hits he ordered.  Better yet, give me a couple
million bucks and a new identity, and I'll talk all about Tony and
his associates: their drug-running, their murders, the unions they
run, the cash they laundered, some of the cops & politicians they
bribed [not all of'em - wouldn't be prudent, eh?], that kind of
stuff.  And I'm off to a new life.  Did the death penalty deter me?

Or suppose I'm dealing crack/smack/whatever down in the projects
cause there's no other way where I live to make money, and I know
it's a high-risk business where competitors will kill me without
thinking about it, so I have to be ready to kill them just the
same.  And I know that I have almost zero chance of being free and
alive for many more years 'cause that's what this life is like, so
if I'm threatened, I'll kill fast.  Does the death penalty deter me?

Death penalties don't deter rational cold-blooded killers and don't
deter irrational hot-blooded killers.  Death penalties only deter
people who aren't likely to commit murder [the intentional killing
of a human with malice aforethought] anyway - and they'd be deterred
just as well with the prospect of life without parole, eh?

I mean, you may REALLY want to off [insert name of politician] but
they're really not worth a long vacation, are they?  So you let the
bastard live - NOT because you'd be iced in revenge, BUT because
your time is worth more to you than is their slimy ass.

Anyway, a really horrendous sadistic mass-murderer doesn't deserve
to be executed quickly, cleanly, painlessly.  Wire up their pain
centers to a pulsating voltage and zap'em into endless misery, eh?
Or force'em to listen to perpetual Congressional hearings.  Torture...

* http://skepticon.da.ru * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736 *
*
*** SkeptiChat: sliding down the razor-blade of life ***
now featuring SkeptiNews: All The News That's Fit To Question
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]