-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rich Winkel)
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Indon, begging for funds, expresses "deep regret" over E Timor
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:28:10 -0500 (CDT)

/** reg.easttimor: 3453.0 **/
** Topic: Indon, begging for funds, expresses "deep regret" over E Timor
death **
** Written  6:36 PM  Sep 28, 1999 by [EMAIL PROTECTED] in cdp:reg.easttimor **
deaths

Indonesia expresses "deep regret" over East Timor deaths

WASHINGTON, Sept 28 (AFP) - Indonesia on Tuesday expressed its "deep regret"
for loss of life in East Timor and reaffirmed a pledge to respect a
pro-independence referendum there.

"I would like to express the deep regret of the people of Indonesia for the
loss of life caused by events in East Timor," Minister of State for finance
Boediono (eds: one name) told ministers and central bank governors at the
annual meetings of the IMF and World Bank.

"Let me reaffirm that the government of Indonesia is committed to taking the
steps necessary to enable the fulfillment of the newly-expressed will of the
majority of East Timorese to seek a new destiny outside Indonesia."

Boediono also said that Indonesia's economic restructuring had been
"paralysed" by a banking scandal but that "given half a chance" the economic
recovery could get back on track.

The IMF is currently holding back funds to cash-strapped Indonesia, but
managing director Michel Camdessus said earlier Tuesday that "we stand ready
to resume our assistance as soon as the shadows hanging over the programme
are lifted."

The finance minister of Portugal, East Timor's former colonial power, issued
an impassioned plea Tuesday for the international community to "take firm
action to restore peace, provide emergency aid and contribute to the
reconstruction needs of this devastated territory and people."

If this was not forthcoming in the wake of the "genocide" in East Timor,
"words like democracy, human rights, law and order, social and economic
development, would become quite empty," Antonio de Sousa Franco told the
IMF/World Bank meeting.

Camdessus said last week that resumption of aid depended on developments in
East Timor and resolution of the Bank Bali scandal.

The scandal centers on the payment of an 80 million dollar commission by the
bank to a company owned by a ruling Golkar party executive.

The bank paid the commission to recover money owed by three banks that had
been closed down by the government.

Boediono said that the Indonesian economy is now "in far better shape" than
it was a year ago, but "uncertainties remain" because of the bank scandal,
the East Timor situation and "rising political temperature" ahead of
presidential elections in November.

He said the government regarded the bank scandal as a "very serious matter"
that would be resolved in a complete and transparent manner "which will meet
the public's expectations."

After the presidential elections Boediono said he hoped Indonesia's
restructuring and economic recovery would "regain momentum."

Camdessus said that the IMF "expect(s) to continue working with the next
government of Indonesia to do our part in helping the country achieve its
great potential," and "look forward to contributing, when the day comes, to
the rebuilding and sustainable development of East Timor."

The international community is already looking ahead to the reconstruction
of
East Timor once peace has been restored, and potential donors will meet
informally here on Wednesday with East Timor independence leaders Xanana
Gusmao and Jose Ramos Horta to discuss likely future aid needs and
priorities, World Bank officials said.

The meeting will be attended by representatives of Asian countries,
industrial nations and international financial institutions.

** End of text from cdp:reg.easttimor **

This material came from the Institute for Global Communications (IGC), a
non-profit, unionized, politically progressive Internet services provider.
For more information, send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (you will get
back an automatic reply), or visit their web site at http://www.igc.org/ .
IGC is a project of the Tides Center, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
-- Mark Twain