-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

VOICE OF THE GRUNT, 1999-10-06-B
ARTICLE 5
IT SURE ISN'T MY FATHER'S ARMY ANYMORE
By An American Veteran

Let me begin by emphasizing that I am convinced that there is no finer
creature on the face of the earth than the American GI. As Stephen Ambrose
relates in several of his works, no other soldier has brought hope as has
that American, while many others have brought fear and terror. At the same
time, when properly trained, led, and motivated, no other soldier has
generated more fear in the hearts of freedom's enemies than he has.

At one point, I was very serious about coming back in to the active Army,
but I am convinced that I would be very unwelcome in the current diversity
cult which runs the show. Many would misunderstand what I am saying and
react the way in which they have been conditioned to for quite some time by
the current thought police... my opinion no longer counts.

Having been screamed at during PT because I had a reflective strip on
instead of a vest (and I was PTing in civilian attire, by myself), I find
some of the following stuff really ridiculous…..

I have on several occasions directed soldiers to leave various public
establishments due to their attire, such as a young female soldier dressed
in a matter to make an Olangapo prostitute blush (I later saw this same
soldier in maternity BDUs, a few months later, minus wedding ring. What a
surprise). Later, I requested, and escorted, a young lad out of Burger King
due to an obscene T-shirt he apparently thought was appropriate to wear in
a place where I bring my family.

On my way to work this evening, as I walked past the small shelter near the
MP barracks and the 7 day store, my ears were assaulted by the strains of
"motherf*&%^$ing this, motherf(*&^ing that" blaring from some soldier's
boom box. The troops there were apparently appropriately attired to attend
a Gangster-American Pride Month activity that I was not informed of.

I am most seriously concerned that I never seem to see any NCOs or officers
who have the knowledge or the fortitude to call people on various obvious
breaches of conduct and attire, and frankly, disgracing the institution in
which so many of us have proudly served. Having spent almost 8 years of 16
in the same uniform in which several of my relatives bled and died, I am
disgusted. And I am really tired of it. So are the local Korean nationals.

The Marines have some idea of making a permanent transformation during
their recruit training. This is somewhat evident in the fact that when I
have spent time with Marines, I have never noticed this aforementioned type
of conduct. It is apparent to me that no such transformation ever occurs in
the contemporary US Army, and I find this absolutely tragic. They bring the
block with them to the Army, and all its inherent problems. These young
soldiers, when corrected, are shocked and sometimes angry, as if someone is
messing with some inalienable right for them to be a clown. They don't get
it because their leadership doesn't explain and enforce standards. Oh sure,
they all wear their web gear in the same fashion, and other stuff like
that- but the WHY isn't there. They do things because someone with a stick
over their head tells them to. Does common sense and courtesy have to be on
some idiot ARTEP/CTT checklist?

Doesn't matter what your MOS, sex, race or educational background is. Being
a soldier is a proud job, practically sanctified by the deeds and
sacrifices of our Alvin Yorks, Milton Olives, Rodger Youngs, Audie Murphys,
and Joshua Chamberlains.

Looking around this place, I can see why we have soldiers claiming they are
homos to get out, while other soldiers who are obviously and blatantly
gay/lesbian are staying in.

I had to ask myself: Would it be worth it to spend 6 months in Bosnia or
Kuwait away from my family in such a "diverse" environment? No way... I
want the guy to my left and right to be disciplined and skilled, and to be
a soldier, a lot like me so I don't become a dead guy... diversity is
inconsequential. Neither good, nor bad. We had a great Army before we were
"diverse" and we have a great one now.

Come to think of it, it would be really nice if in addition to all the
cultural heritage months (which I personally enjoy) to have a Signal Corps
Week, or a Cavalry Week, etc. to explore the heroes and heritage we all
share as SOLDIERS regardless of our previous backgrounds. Imagine having
hardtack and coffee for breakfast one day at the mess hall (oh boy!- and
having a company of troops at dental sick call the next!), watching the Ft
Hood Mounted Color Guard perform Retreat ceremonies... We have a wealth of
history and tradition in our Army. Damn right it's important. It is who we
are as a culture, as a family, as a brotherhood.

It sure isn't my father's Army, just like LTG Kennedy said. My father's my
saved the world in WWII.
ARTICLE 6
*******Medal Of Honor*******
BAKER, JOHN F., JR.

Rank and organization: SGT. (then PFC.), USA, Co. A, 2d Bn., 27th Inf.,
25th Inf. Div.
Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, 5 November 1966.

Entered service at: Moline, Ill.
Born: 30 October 1945, Davenport, lowa.

Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life
above and beyond the call of duty. En route to assist another unit that was
engaged with the enemy, Company A came under intense enemy fire and the
lead man was killed instantly. Sgt. Baker immediately moved to the head of
the column and together with another soldier knocked out 2 enemy bunkers.
When his comrade was mortally wounded, Sgt. Baker, spotting 4 Viet Cong
snipers, killed all of them, evacuated the fallen soldier and returned to
lead repeated assaults against the enemy positions, killing several more
Viet Cong. Moving to attack 2 additional enemy bunkers, he and another
soldier drew intense enemy fire and Sgt. Baker was blown from his feet by
an enemy grenade. He quickly recovered and single-handedly destroyed 1
bunker before the other soldier was wounded. Seizing his fallen comrade's
machinegun, Sgt. Baker charged through the deadly fusillade to silence the
other bunker. He evacuated his comrade, replenished his ammunition and
returned to the forefront to brave the enemy fire and continue the fight.
When the forward element was ordered to withdraw, he carried 1 wounded man
to the rear. As he returned to evacuate another soldier, he was taken under
fire by snipers, but raced beyond the friendly troops to attack and kill
the snipers. After evacuating the wounded man, he returned to cover the
deployment of the unit. His ammunition now exhausted, he dragged 2 more of
his fallen comrades to the rear. Sgt. Baker's selfless heroism, indomitable
fighting spirit, and extraordinary gallantry were directly responsible for
saving the lives of several of his comrades, and inflicting serious damage
on the enemy. His acts were in keeping with the highest traditions of the
U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his
country.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VOICE OF THE GRUNT Volunteers:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David H. Hackworth, Taker of Names and Spiritual Leader
Robert L. McMahon, Editor and Chief bottle-washer
Kate Aspy, Contributing Editor and Oracle
Barry "Woody" Groton, Assistant Editor and Medicine Man
Ed "Edgar" Schneider, Copy Editor, Man of Letters and gentleman:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Larry Tahler, WebMaster Guru and Crack-shot
Judy Bowyer Martin, ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) Administration and Brains of the
Outfit
Kyle Elliott, Book List Editor and Most Over-worked
*********, MOH Editor and NCOIC
EDITOR'S NOTE:
As a rule of thumb, please try to keep article for possible publication to
700 words or less. We do make exceptions and will not turn away an 800 to
900 word piece, but please make every editing effort not to exceed these
guidelines.

If you believe you have a story that is longer than 700 words we will
consider running it in parts. Keep the piece focused on the story you want
to express, not impress upon the reader.

Submit in OPEN format as we've learned by bad experience that we cannot
download any
file attachments because of things that unknowingly are passed in them.
Thanks to
everyone for keeping the communication lines open and the ideas
flowing.

Semper Fi,
Bob McMahon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.freeyellow.com:8080/members7/rlmcmahon
HACK'S DEFENDING AMERICA COLUMN:
Many readers have asked for guidance/help/ideas for getting Hack's column
in their local newspapers. See http://www.hackworth.com --- NEWSPAPERS for
a few suggestions.

Much appreciate your effort. What we're into is getting the word to as many
citizens as possible about what is causing our military machine to sputter
like an M-4 Sherman tank.

Thanks,
Bob McMahon
ARCHIVED DEFENDING AMERICA COLUMNS:
You can now find copies of Hack's previous columns at:
http://www.hackworth.com
These are found in the Defending America Section, under Archived Copies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GLOSSARY OF MILITARY ACRONYMS:
We've had numerous requests from troops in different branches of the
military to establish this link so that we will all know how "all you
others" talk that talk. Please see below:
http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/doddict/acronym_index.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CONGRESSIONAL E-MAIL ADDRESSES

Congressional e-mail addresses can be found by going to (www.hackworth.com)
and accessing Congressional e-mails at the bottom of the first page.
********************ORDERING BOOKS*************************
    We still have Trade copies of About Face. These are exactly the same as
the hardback, except they have a soft cover. Cost for an autographed copy:
$26.00 (including handling and postage).

    If you are interested in ordering Hack's books (About Face*, Hazardous
Duty**, or The Vietnam Primer), check out the instructions at our web page:
http://www.hackworth.com.

    It takes about 3 weeks to process the book orders. Your patience is
appreciated. Please mark on outside if envelope "Book Order" and make check
out to:

    Twin Eagles Ink
    PO Box 5210
    Greenwich, CT  06831

*About Face available in trade copy.
**Hazardous Duty available in hardback.

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,