-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 991015b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: Most millennialists survived production of this bulletin. The poor sods.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Virgin With Dung: http://www.oasinet.com/postmedia/art/ofili.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# PREPARING FOR BIOTERRORISM - MENTALLY & PHYSICALLY. Bioterrorism can have
  a devastating effect on both physical and mental health, says a prominent
  psychiatrist, who suggests any response plan include a mental health com-
  ponent. http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=19262

# Another big SF quake feared. (AP) - There is a 70% chance that a large
  earthquake will shake the San Francisco Bay area in the next 30 years.
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561630534-b45

: Are you more terrorized by biowar, geowar, nukewar, random acts of planet-
ary violence, religious/political/economic/artistic proselytizers, ETs, me?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Scientists ponder life on Jupiter. PADUA, Italy (AP) - Hundreds of cosmic
  scientists mobbed Galileo's homeland, hoping to learn from a spacecraft
  named Galileo whether a heavenly body the Renaissance astronomer found 4
  centuries ago might support life. The NASA Galileo probe, winding down a
  2-year, $30 million probe of Jupiter, recently made its closest-ever flyby
  of the Jovian moons, passing within 380 miles of Io, Jupiter's innermost
  large moon. But many scientists here are more interested in Jupiter's 4th
  largest moon, Europa, spotted by Galileo in 1610. In the world of planet-
  ary science, and the search for life beyond Earth, Europa is hot. Hubba
  hubba: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561631055-380

: Is Jovian life Jovial? Is Europan life European? Is Io life Ionian? Are
you hot for Europeans? Should I stop playing these silly name games? Why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Researchers Map Molecule That Repairs Sun & Cigarette Damage. The crystal
  structure of an enzyme that hunts down DNA damage caused by sunlight and
  cigarettes, then snaps it up like a Venus' flytrap, is described:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/10/991014075631.htm

# Green Tea Shows Antioxidant Benefits In Human Plasma. Substances in green
  tea known as catechins can increase the antioxidant capacity of human
  plasma, which could help reduce cardiovascular disease risk, say Japanese
  researchers: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/10/991014075533.htm

: Are you damaged? Does green tea repair you? Do you smoke tobacco & drink
green tea, or vice versa? Have'ya oxidized much lately? Are you crystalline?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ BARE YOUR SOLES: CELEBRATE FEET. Thinking alt.barefoot might be some kind
  of hippifest of dirty toes & callused heels, I was surprised that it is in
  fact a newsgroup of photos of toes painted or not, feet arched or flexed.
  Just feet. Oh yes, and toes. More & more toes. One pair of feet grips a
  banana in one shot, a telephone in another. Bare feet mostly, so if it's a
  shoe fetish you've got, keep on walkin'. (Nina Gregory) news:alt.barefoot

: Should everyone go barefoot? Is that how you can tell humans from aliens?
Should we all go naked, so there's no question as to one's species status??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# ALLERGIC TO EXERCISE? A FOOD MIGHT BE TO BLAME. The classic couch potato's
  excuse - an allergy to exercise - might have it's basis in a latent food
  allergy. Lay off the offending food, and enjoy your workout! Flex those
  pecs: http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=18757

# Doctor defends heroin detox procedure - linked to 6 deaths - just trying
  to help: http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561634772-4d1

: Are you allergic to exercises, foods, opiates, detox procedures? Is life
hazardous to your health? Do alien implants protect you from these hazards?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Millennium-a-Rama:

# Y2K - BEWARE COMPLACENCY ON Y2K COMPLIANCE
  http://www.ncpa.org/oped/dupont/dupont99.html
# Y2K - more on Year 2000 (Y2K) Computer Bug:
  http://www.ncpa.org/pd/economy/econ13.html
# Y2K - Millennium resolution on Brit TV - call for world peace:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561629837-7b6

# ON THE CUSP OF THE MILLENNIUM -- MARTYRS, PRAYER WARS AND UFO VISITATIONS.
  Has it begun? 1000 years ago, claimed Burgundian monk Ralph Glaber, inhab-
  itants throughout Europe packed churches in terror, stopped planting their
  crops & prepared for the end of the world. Groups of pilgrims roamed the
  countryside warning of impending Armageddon. Apocalyptic movements arose,
  some even taking up arms to establish a "New Jerusalem," a paradise on
  Earth to pave the way for the Second Coming of Jesus. It was all a manif-
  estation of the fervent religious belief - and social hysteria - linked to
  the calendric roll-over which led to a new millennium. It had been 1000
  years since the birth of Jesus Christ, and for many, the Messiah was about
  to return and fulfill the prophecies of Daniel, Revelation and the other
  apocalyptic texts of the Bible. But did all of this really happen? Can we
  expect something like this as we linger at the end of our century, on the
  cusp of a new millennium? http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/mill1.htm

: How many illiterate/innumerate Euro-peasants around CE 1000 could even say
'millennium'? How many had calendars? How many calendars were in use then?
How many calendars have already had years 2000, 4000, 6000? Did things stop?

# Countdown to the Millennium:  Last Tango on Planet Earth?
  http://www.americanatheist.org/win96-7/T2/countdown.html
# Was There Millennial Madness In Year 999? Debate Heats Up:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics5/999debate.htm

# Prophecy Failed: From The Great Disappointment to Apocalypse Ranch:
  http://www.americanatheist.org/win96-7/T2/prophesyfail.html
# Millennium Foolishness - focusing a psychiatric eye on the millennialist
  psyche: http://www.americanatheist.org/win96-7/T2/foolishness.html

# Social Psychopathology of End-Times Faith - Thirst for
  vengeance, conspiracy theorizing, and postmodern conflicts:
  http://www.americanatheist.org/win96-7/T2/socialpathology.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

  "I'm proud to be a Yippie from Pomona
   Place where even squares can learn to ball
   We all burn Old Glory down at the courthouse
   And clear windowpane's the biggest trip of all"
   http://www.sonic.net/~ric/music/mysongs1.htm#yipp

* http://sonic.net/~ric UPDATED * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *