The Scoop - http://www.bobharris.com/

New subscribers: thanks for joining. Yep, the column is free, and you’re
encouraged  to forward it to friends. That’s how our readership grows.

Gratuitous plug: Steal This Book And Get Life Without Parole is now
available; check  out http://www.bobharris.com/book.htm.

bh

THE SCOOP for November 1, 1999
 ___________________________

Susan Faludi's *Stiffed*
A Cool New Way To Enjoy Death Race 2000
© 1999 Bob Harris
http://www.bobharris.com
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

* * = italics

Susan Faludi's new book, *Stiffed: The Betrayal Of The American Man,* says
(if it's possible to paraphrase a 600-page book, which it isn't, but what
the heck) that many American men are suffering from an identity crisis
caused largely by the breakdown of an implied social contract, one that is
probably inevitable in a consumer culture.

Traditionally, if an average Joe plays by the rules -- if he works hard,
provides for his family, remains loyal, etc. -- he's supposed to be
rewarded with a career, a house, and respect.  Instead, as our society
comes to devalue the social merit of work and actions of its members (of
both genders), emphasizing wealth as an end instead of a means, modern
manhood has (like everything else) become commodified -- based not on
social worth, but on looks, riches, fame, and so on -- to the point that
many American men from all walks for life find themselves not only unsure
of their position, but (since one's own culture is as pervasive as the
air, and therefore as hard to scrutinize objectively) often unable even to
understand precisely why.

Cool thesis.  Doesn't apply to everybody, but I bet everybody reading this
knows guys she's talking about.

Especially if you look at the presidential race.

What do American candidates call themselves in order to demonstrate their
leadership abilities?

Hard on drugs,
Hard on crime, and
Hard on defense,

while opponents are:

Soft on social programs.

(By this measure, the GOP convention resembles nothing so much as a
primitive fertility cult.  Why bother with George W. Bush?  Just roll out
a 12-foot phallus, light the tiki torches, and let the carnival begin!)

And who, again, are the candidates of reform, the individuals Americans
are looking to in hopes of restoring a sense of individual power?

Warren Beatty,
Donald Trump,
Pat Buchanan, and
Jesse Ventura,

none of whose positions on most actual issues are particularly important
to their perceived leadership ability.

Instead, all four are eligible merely because of existing fame and wealth,
the precise commodities Faludi notes are deficient in America's self-image
of its manhood.

As to physical looks, all four are obsessive about their appearance, three
of them successfully.  And all four perpetuate their fame by consciously
choosing to behave as walking caricatures of various (and sometimes
conflicting) traditional images of manhood: sexual prowess, religious
faith, fame, wealth, strength, militarism, etc.

*Stiffed* suggests that understanding the commodification of genders in a
consumer culture is an important step on the road toward a more equitable
society.

It's also a pretty damned amusing way to watch the elections.

___________________________

Is Harry Potter a secret minion of Satan?

By now you've heard of J.K. Rowlings' best-selling series of books about a
nerdy boy with glasses who discovers that he's actually the heir to a
world of power.  Sort of like a children's book about Steve Forbes.

These exercises in wish-fulfillment are wildly successful, which is no big
surprise.  The story line is basically Total Geek Makes Good, which you
find in everything from Star Wars to Cinderella.  (Total Geek Makes Good
might also be a good name for this column, come to think of it.)

Except some folks are worried that since Harry Potter uses magic, the
books are a satanic influence.

Oh, sure.  Just like *Jack And The Beanstalk,* *Hansel & Gretel,* and *The
Wizard Of Oz* can destroy a child's mind.  Most people don't know this,
but Judy Garland and Ray Bolger were secretly working for Anton LaVey.

Or consider *The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe;* *Bell, Book, and
Candle;* and *Manny, Moe, and Jack* (the C.S. Lewis guide to car repair).
These could drive a kid straight to Satan.  I read *Grimm's Fairy Tales*
when I was in first grade, and I was in junior high before the Cult
Awareness Network straightened me out.

Right this minute as I write this I've got the TV on a rerun of
*Bewitched.*  And I'm sacrificing a goat to my horned master.

The only thing people who fear Harry Potter have to worry about is a whole
generation of kids who know how to read.

That could seriously mess up their recruiting efforts.

___________________________

Cool science news: white or black, segregation might just drive you to an
early grave, even if you ride there in a limo.

It doesn't take much to see how lousy racial segregation is for the folks
on the receiving end.  But a new study conducted at Berkeley and the
University of Michigan says that living in a highly segregated city is
linked to increased death rates among people of all races.

The study found that the most segregated cities are Atlanta, Cleveland,
Detroit, and Chicago -- apparently there's a link between segregation and
bad football -- and the least segregated are Sacramento, Long Beach,
Virginia Beach, and Tacoma.

Turns out there's a direct relationship between segregation and death
rates among everybody -- not just poor people, not just minorities, but
everybody, all races and classes -- and that's for deaths from all causes.

They're not exactly sure what the reason is.  They have some theories and
they'll keep studying.

But for now, when a minority family moves in, it's not "there goes the
neighborhood."  It's "here comes an extra year of life expectancy."

to  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

___________________________

Bob’s Big Plug-O-Rama™ (updated 11/1/99):

Steal This Book And Get Life Without Parole is widely available and can be
ordered  directly from http://www.commoncouragepress.com/steal.html at 25%
off retail.  The  book includes cartoons by Tom Tomorrow and a foreword by
Paul Krassner.  You can  read some ridiculously kind reviews at
http://www.bobharris.com/book.htm.

Working Assets Long Distance has included the book on their recommended
reading list for October.  This is way exciting.

I was honored to contribute the narration to the audio version of Noam
Chomsky’s  book on the Balkan War, The New Military Humanism: Lessons From
Kosovo.  This,  too, is best obtained directly from Common Courage.

Http://www.bobharris.com now includes streaming stand-up comedy clips,
radio  commentaries, and lots of other stuff like early writing samples
from National  Lampoon, my first published cartoons, and other such
whatnot.

The Firesign Theatre's new CD, "Boom Dot Bust," is now available.  I
mention this because I'm a huge fan, and Phil Proctor, one of the nicest
guys I know, invited me in for one of Firesign's recording sessions.  As a
result, for several seconds on the CD I am barely audible as an extra,
cooing in falsetto as an audience member of the cable access "Glue-It
Yourself Show."  This is one of the high points of my life.

Syndication of "This Is Bob Harris," the daily radio feature, is rolling
along: over 75  stations and counting. Call your favorite station and ask
for the feature. They pay  attention, honest.

The radio stuff is now also rebroadcast four times daily in over 140
countries by  Armed Forces Radio, for which I am paid precisely zilch.
But then, the Pentagon  doesn't have any money.  (A toilet seat they pay
$500.  Me, squat.)

You can also hear an audio version of my commentaries at Soapbox,
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/soapbox/monday.html.

Some past columns are reprinted in the current print editions of the
Humanist magazine  and the Funny Times.  The email version of this column
now has subscribers in 46  countries.  Welcome Belize!

Finally, Mother Jones online (http://www.motherjones.com) also often
carries The  Scoop. I am honored to be associated with these people.
They’re swell.