-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.informinc.co.uk/LM/LM125/LM125_Edit.html

{{<Begin>}}
  10/31/99
  6:05 PM BST

Mick Hume
Editor
One-party state? Don't talk libertarian nonsense
When Tony Blair ended his messianic speech to the New Labour conference with
that punchline about 'And now, at last, party and nation joined in the same
cause', it made some commentators a little nervous about echoes of one-party
politics from the past.
In an acutely observed piece in the Times, Matthew Parris declared himself
uneasy about the speech's 'Tomorrow belongs to me leitmotif of a new order of
things', adding that 'Mr Blair's conflation of party with nation' had 'made my
flesh creep'. In Scotland on Sunday, Gerald Warner even suggested that Blair's
rhetorical flourish had conjured up the spectre of the Nazi propagandist Leni
Riefenstahl: 'One Nation, One State, One Leader! Sieg Heil!'
There is indeed something deeply creepy about this prime minister. And, while
Blair is no more a Nazi than he is a Communist, Britain under New Labour is
assuredly a one-party state. It is a one-party state, however, with a
difference. Opposition forces have not been banned by government diktat, nor
defeated in a civil war, nor crushed in a coup. Instead, most of them have been
quietly and politely incorporated into the New Labour project.
A little over 10 years ago, when old Labour was in total disarray and all meaningful
debate took place within the ranks of the Conservative Party, one could talk about
Margaret Thatcher's government having established a o
ne-party regime. Thatcher's domineering style was to polarise issues and trash all
opponents, as she handbagged her way through the 1980s, famously demanding to know of
everybody, 'Is he One of Us?', and giving short shri
ft to the many who failed that test.
Blair, by contrast, preaches the doctrine of 'inclusiveness'. He has self-consciously
defined himself as the man in the middle of British politics, and invited all
politicians of the centre to join the creeping New Labour
 consensus. Exclusion orders will be served only on those few deemed to be one of
'them' - the hardcore minority 'forces of conservatism' against whom Blair aimed his
fire in that Bournemouth address.
The Liberal Democrats have effectively become a kind of soft left wing of New Labour,
providing not so much an opposition in the House as an in-house opposition. Leading
Tories, too, have been seen waving from atop the Bl
air crusade bus. The launch of the 'Britain in Europe' campaign in October had
heavyweight Conservatives such as the former cabinet ministers Michael Heseltine,
Kenneth Clarke and Chris Patten lining up behind the prime m
inister.
It is not only opposition politicians who have been brought into the Blair fold. From
industry to the media and from entertainment to the universities, few corners of
British society have been left untouched by New Labour
's recruitment campaign. Every influential body has moved within Blair's orbit, to the
point where even those who are not entirely seduced want to be involved. One
remarkable result is that there is no longer any serious
anti-Labour lobby within the British business community.
Where previous Labour leaders might have sought to ingratiate themselves with the old
establishment, the New Labour government (while not above a bit of toadying to the
royals) has set about forging a new elite bearing it
s own stamp. As James Heartfield demonstrates in detail elsewhere in this issue of LM,
this process of transition within the political class may not yet be complete, but it
has quickly entrenched New Labour's people in po
wer as the agents of one-party rule.
Two and a half years after Blair's electoral success, it is now clear that New Labour
is the natural party of government for the end of the 1990s. It is equally clear,
however, that Blair's party is not really the conscio
us architect of its own success. It has had no grand political masterplan to
implement. Rather, New Labour draws its strength from the way that it reflects
political and cultural changes which have occurred in Britain sin
ce the 1980s. Where Blair's people have tried to innovate policy initiatives, as with
the Millennium Dome or the new Scottish and Welsh assemblies, they have met with a
response that is lukewarm at best. But where they ha
ve surfed and assimilated existing trends in society, rebranding them as their own,
they have been much better able to establish their authority.
'The class war is over', Blair announced at the Bournemouth conference. If he meant
that the old political battle between right and left has ended, few would argue. What
is less clear is who won that contest. As one Ameri
can commentator recently observed, the left lost the economic war, but the right lost
the culture war. As a consequence we are left with a world in which everybody accepts
(albeit without much enthusiasm) that there is no
 alternative to the capitalist market. Yet at the same time, few are prepared to
champion the values of Enlightenment thinking and individual freedom that capitalism
has traditionally claimed as its own. The resulting pec
uliar compromise has proved to be New Labour's home ground.
Now that nobody will contest the market system, economics has been reduced to a
technical matter of fiddling with regulations. This is a job for which Gordon Brown
and the rest of New Labour's boring bean-counters are wel
l suited. As Blair boasted in Bournemouth, we've 'never had it so prudent'. His
government is even better suited than the Tories were to pursuing some economic
policies associated with the Thatcherite 1980s, such as the e
ndless attempts to reform the funding of the health, welfare and education systems.
Where Tory traditionalists might have balked at too much confrontation with the
professions, New Labour's control freaks are never happie
r than when ceaselessly searching for a more technocratic style of government.
New Labour also provides the perfect language for today's culture of lower
expectations. As the party of the therapeutic state, it best articulates the debased
politics of emotionalism and sentimentality, as symbolised by
 Blair's constant use of children as a human shield in his Bournemouth speech. And in
the spheres of art and education, the new cultural elite's doctrine of 'inclusion' and
non-judgemental diversity has smoothed the way f
or the rise of relativism and retreat from standards of excellence.
For more than a century, the Conservatives were the dominant party of British
politics. Not only are they now unelectable, but there seems no reason for them to
exist outside of the all-encompassing blancmange of Mr Blair
's political centre. The Tory conference in Blackpool did not really, as many claimed,
signal a lurch to the right. Rather it was symptomatic of a party lurching all over
the place in search of something to stand for. The
 process has produced some eccentric policies. It would be easy to think, for example,
that the Tories now favour both keeping the hereditary peers and electing the second
chamber. And one might just as easily conclude th
at the party is for or against GM foods, depending on whether one listened to the
shadow trade and industry secretary or the shadow environment team.
Yet perhaps the rump of William Hague's Tory Party does still have one role. It is a
similar part to that played by the American Communist Party in the 1950s - as a fringe
group whose importance is deliberately inflated b
y its mainstream opponents, in order to give those in power something to define
themselves against. As Blair searches for a 'moral purpose' to substitute for a
political vision, he needs to identify dragons for New Labour
 to vanquish. That is the role he has allotted to the evil 'forces of conservatism'.
And many of Hague's Tories seem willing to play the part. Their obsession with Europe
is less about the details of monetary policy than
the feeling that Europe is something to do with the future, while they are more
comfortable with the past. That way lies the path to becoming a party of British
aborigines, existing only to uphold the ancient rituals and
rights of a displaced minority.
Whether or not we care about the fate of the Tories, there are obvious dangers in the
emergence of the one-party state. New Labour's authority in society is broad, but it
is shallow, not being based on real political comm
itment. The insecure new elite often acts like a thin-skinned authoritarian.
In Bournemouth, when Blair divided the world between those who follow him - the
'progressive forces' - and everybody else - the 'forces of conservatism' - it sounded
like a divide between good and evil. And when he told u
s that New Labour had not doctrines but 'eternal values', it sounded less like a
political party than the guardian of the Holy Grail. Such a moralistic outlook will
brook no criticism, as those who have tried to argue wit
h Blair's leadership have found on issues ranging from Kosovo to the countryside.
New Labour's true colours shone through in the passage of Blair's speech that dealt
with civil liberties. The arguments for freedom from state control were simply waved
aside as 'libertarian nonsense'. The civil liberty h
e believes in, the prime minister told us, is the freedom to live in a civil
society free from the scourge of drugs. Then he announced a new law and order
crackdown and DNA testing for all offenders. The implication was that any
measure is legitimate if it is done in the name of keeping the streets clean
and our children safe. That amounts to a blank cheque for the authorities to do
as they see fit, while damning anybody who complains as an enemy of civilised
society. The only liberty Blair's approach upholds is the freedom of the state
to intrude into ever-more areas of everyday life.
The irony of Blair's pitch is that New Labour represents the truly powerful
force of social conservatism today. He banged on in Bournemouth about seeking
the 'liberation of human potential'. Yet on everything from tying up scientists
in red tape to urging economic restraint, from curtailing personal freedoms to
dictating how people bring up their children, his government is doing the very
opposite in practice.
Some might think that the precondition for any genuine attempt to liberate the
human potential would be to give people the freedom to think and act, not as
part of a consensus-obsessed party-nation, but as autonomous individuals. They
might even assume that kind of freedom to be the only basis for any meaningful
collective initiative. But that, as we now know, is libertarian nonsense.
If this magazine is bankrupted by the ITN libel case in the next few months,
perhaps somebody should bring out one with a more meaningful title. Like 'LN'.

@http://www.informinc.co.uk/ITN-vs-LM/story/whole_story.html
> The February 1997 issue of LM magazine ran a story which raised embarrassing
> questions about ITN's award-winning pictures from a Bosnian Serb-run camp. ITN
> tried to have every copy of the magazine, which contained the article The
> Picture that Fooled the World by German journalist Thomas Deichmann, pulped. LM
> has refused to back down and ITN have sued the magazine's editor and publishers
> for libel. Read why the magazine is refusing to give in to ITN's libel writs and
> gagging orders in an open letter from Mick Hume, editor of LM. This site tells
> the whole story ITN does not want you to read, and explains what has happened so
> far in the libel case. Join us to defend press freedom and free speech against
> this unprecedented attack by a media giant.

}}}  Excerpt from http://www.informinc.co.uk/ITN-vs-LM/story/LM97_Bosnia.html

The whole story:
The original article
'The picture that fooled the world'

Photo: ITN archive
This image of an emaciated Muslim caged behind Serb barbed wire, filmed by a
British news team, became a worldwide symbol of the war in Bosnia. But the
picture is not quite what it seems. German journalist Thomas Deichmann reveals
the full story
The picture reproduced on these pages is of Fikret Alic, a Bosnian Muslim,
emaciated and stripped to the waist, apparently imprisoned behind a barbed wire
fence in a Bosnian Serb camp at Trnopolje. It was taken from a videotape shot
on 5 August 1992 by an award-winning British television team, led by Penny
Marshall (ITN) with her cameraman Jeremy Irvin, accompanied by Ian Williams
(Channel 4) and the reporter Ed Vulliamy from the Guardian newspaper.
For many, this picture has become a symbol of the horrors of the Bosnian war -
'Belsen '92' as one British newspaper headline captioned the photograph (Daily
Mirror, 7 August 1992). But that image is misleading.
 The fact is that Fikret Alic and his fellow Bosnian Muslims were not
imprisoned behind a barbed wire fence. There was no barbed wire fence
surrounding Trnopolje camp. It was not a prison, and certainly not a
'concentration camp', but a collection centre for refugees, many of whom went
there seeking safety and could leave again if they wished.

The barbed wire in the picture is not around the Bosnian Muslims; it is around
the cameraman and the journalists. It formed part of a broken-down barbed wire
fence encircling a small compound that was next to Trnopolje camp. The British
news team filmed from inside this compound, shooting pictures of the refugees
and the camp through the compound fence. In the eyes of many who saw them, the
resulting pictures left the false impression that the Bosnian Muslims were
caged behind barbed wire.

}}}End Excerpt

Reproduced from LM issue 125, November 1999

http://www.informinc.co.uk/LM/LM125/LM125_Edit.html
Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

{{<End>}}

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.