-Caveat Lector-

As you know, the Van Allen radiation belts are doughnut-shaped regions
encircling Earth and containing high-energy electrons and ions trapped
in the Earth's magnetic field. Explorer I, launched by NASA in 1958,
discovered these two regions of intense radiation surrounding the Earth.
They are referred to as the inner and outer Van Allen radiation belts, after
James Van Allen who designed Explorer I. The inner region is centered
at about 3000 km above Earth and has a thickness of about 5000 km. The outer
region is centered at about 15,000 -- 20,000 km above the surface
of the Earth and has a thickness of 6,000 -- 10,000 km.

Typically, manned space flight (such as the Shuttle) stays well below the
altitude of the van Allen radiation belts. Safe flight can occur below
altitudes of 400 km or so.

SO ...what do we do when we have to fly through the radiation belts -- like
when we went to the Moon or send probes to other planets?

In the 1960s, NASA asked Oak Ridge National Laboratory to predict how
astronauts and other materials would be affected by exposure to both
the Earth's Van Allen radiation belts and the Sun's radiation. Oak Ridge
biologists sent bacteria and blood samples into space and exposed small
animals to radiation. They concluded that proper shielding would be key to
successful flight not only for living organisms, but for electronic
instrumentation as well. To develop shielding for the Apollo crews, Oak
Ridge researchers recycled the Lab's Tower Shielding Facility, which had
hoisted shielding experiments aloft for the 1950's nuclear-plane project.

Regards,
Laura Whitlock
for Ask a High-Energy Astronomer

--

> The moon  is almost 300,000 miles above the  earth's surface. Two Van Allen
> belts  located 300  and  2,000 miles  above  earth protect  us from  deadly
> radiation. The tremendous solar and cosmic radiation encountered in the Van
> Allen  Belt, temperature  control and  other problems connected  with space
> travel  prevent living  organisms  leaving our  atmosphere. NASA  faked the
> Apollo moon  landings. No man has been higher  than 300 miles above Earth's
> surface, orbited  or landed on the moon.  Certainly not with any technology
> Americans claim to have  used. (This is interesting, and you had better pay
> attention. Is this absolutely true? Probably. - David)
>
> If you doubt this,  explain how the astronauts walked on the moon's surface
> enclosed in a space  suit in full sunlight absorbing a constant 265 degrees
> F. NASA  tell us  the moon has  no atmosphere and that  the astronauts were
> surrounded by the vacuum  of space. In this case they couldn't have walked,
> and the  footprints which  were photographed could  not form on  the moon's
> surface where gravity is so weak and the atmosphere so thin.
>
> Most, if  not all,  of the photos,  films and videotape of  the Apollo Moon
> Missions are  easily proven false. Their  psychological effect, however, is
> very  real, and  intended to establish  in people's  minds that if  man can
> travel to  the moon, alien creatures can reach  our earth. The moon landing
> was a  psy-op by those lovely people who brought  us Pearl Harbor, the fire
> bombing  of  civilians  in   Dresden,  atomic  bombing  of  Japan,  Nazism,
> Communism,  the  Federal  Reserve,  IMF,  UN, and  that  little-known  real
> holocaust of  over two million German  soldiers murdered by American Jewish
> "revenge" (for what?) regiments in the two years AFTER World War II. (David
> Irving, NUREMBERG: The Last  Battle, Focal Point Publications, London 1996;
> James Bacque, Crimes and Mercies: The Fate of German Civilians Under Allied
> Occupation, 1944-1950,  Warner Books). (I have  spoken previously about the
> death of  a million or more German POWs after World  War II while under the
> care of Eisenhower. - David)
> [snip]

-Ketan Michael Vakil
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://kmvplace.simplenet.com/new
Ph : 518.276.7573  |  Fx :  413.228.6214
IM : KetanMV  |  KetanMVPowerbook  |  ICQ : 5047694

- "The future is no place to place your better days"
-" Evil Pokemon Slave Trade must come to an end!"