-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 991110a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* No software monopolists were cloned during production of this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Do Your Own Mars Exploring! http://ida.wr.usgs.gov/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# HEADS UP! THE LEONIDS ARE COMING! (NASA) The upcoming Leonid meteor shower
  (Nov. 17-18) is predicted to be the biggest in decades and perhaps for the
  next century. While we are safe on the ground, satellite operators are
  concerned that even small impacts could short-circuit satellites. NASA
  will coordinate a team that helps track changes in the shower that could
  be a storm. http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast10nov99_1.htm

: Are you ready for a meteor storm? Are y'r sats shielded? Will the orbiting
  commo infrastucture be decimated?? D'yahave backups: smoke signals, flags,
  heliographs? Will holes be punched in the sky? Is this The End already??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Baptists vote 'no' on wifely submission. EL PASO (AP) - Texas' Southern
  Baptists rejected the sect's call for gals to "submit graciously" to their
  husbands/masters. "The Bible doesn't teach that the husband is the general
  and the wife is a private, but yet that's how it gets interpreted;" see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562002387-834
# Also: Baptists vote to take Confederate flag down, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562004468-70e

: Are you graciously submissive, archly uppity, overbearingly domineering?
Do you agree with biblical texts supporting slavery, genocide, kid-bashing?
Does your belief system establish interpersonal hierarchies? D'ya revolt??

@ Wealth on a small scale: there's a species of fly, says Stephen Jay Gould,
  in which the male presents his lady with a gift of food wrapped in silk:
  http://www.forbes.com/forbes/99/1011/6409090a.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Problems>Solutions>Innovations: BRINGING CONTROLLED REMOTE VIEWING TO YOU.
  Welcome to Problems>Solutions>Innovations (P>S>I). Here at P>S>I we strive
  to bring you the most up-to-date information regarding Controlled Remote
  Viewing (CRV). Whether you are well-versed in CRV or you are a beginner,
  you will find what you need here. http://www.crviewer.com/index2.html

: How remotely do you view? Do you see many buffalo from far away? Do alien
scenes flash into your consciousness? Do you know what I'm wearing now??

# Hubble spies a doomed star. (BBC) A detailed image of a stellar nursery
  taken by the Hubble Space telescope shows a young but doomed star. Tsk.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_512000/512582.stm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# New atlas asks: Is the world the wrong way up? LONDON (Reuters) - Is the
  world the wrong way up? A new atlas just published in Britain questions
  the conventional logic that the north, and consequently Europe and the
  United States, are undisputed king of the world. Stand on your head:
  http://www.cnn.com/books/news/9911/08/bc.millennium.map.reut/index.html

: Do you need new perspectives? Does your alien implant change your view-
point? Can you see reality with fly-o-vision? Do your maps need re-drawing?

@ A repository <http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/users/mount/maps.html> of
  science maps! That is, if you aren't more interested in old maps and the
  history of cartography. <http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/sum.html> Mapping needs
  still unfulfilled? Check the WWWVL's guide to online and commercial maps
 <http://geog.gmu.edu/projects/maps/cartogrefs.html> and the Oddens archive.
 <http://oddens.geog.uu.nl/> & see http://memepool.com/Subject/Cartography/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Voices didn't drive Kinkel. EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - One by one, Kip Kinkel's
  victims rose in court and told him they thought he was lying when he
  claimed that voices in his head made him open fire inside his high school
  cafeteria. "I'm not falling for this poor, mentally sick rich boy" crap:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562006269-6e3

: Are the voices in your head unreliable? Do they back you up when you need
them? Do your invisible friends lead you astray? Are they naughty? Are you?

@ Would 100 monkeys in front of 100 typewriters for 100 years eventually
  type a Shakespearean sonnet? The Search for Intelligent Monkeys on the
  Internet <http://www.100monkeys.org/> hopes to find out.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bruce H.G.Calder's THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 10 November 1938 -Germany- Starting
yesterday, November 9, and continuing thru the night, a public demonstration
against the assassination of a Paris embassy official by a Jewish refugee
takes place. This shooting provides the excuse to incite Germans to "rise in
bloody vengeance against the Jews." This "spontaneous" demo is organized by
the SS and is the worst pogrom during the Third Reich. Dr. Josef Goebbels,
the Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda claims that violence is
a spontaneous reaction. Simultaneously throughout Germany attacks begin. In
Berlin, fashionably dressed women clap & scream with laughter (some holding
up their babies) while watching Jews being beaten by youths with lead pipes.
Jewish homes, over 7000 shops and almost 1000 synagogues are burned. An
unknown number of Jews are murdered and 20,000+ are arrested and sent to
concentration camps. To prevent the bankruptcy of insurance companies, the
government promises to confiscate any money Jews will receive and return it
back to the insurers. Because of the huge number of windows broken by the
Nazi gangs, this even becomes known as Kristallnacht. It is said that
Goering is not pleased when he learns that most of the replacement glass
will have to be imported and paid for in scarce foreign currency. "They
should have killed more Jews and broken less glass," he says.

@ Kristallnacht - A teacher's guide to the Holocaust
  http://fcit.coedu.usf.edu/holocaust/gallery/Kris.htm
@ Kristallnacht
  http://kings.k12.ca.us/huhsd/huhse/projects/js4/krist.htm
@ Kristallnacht - The History Place
  http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/holocaust/h-knacht.htm
@ History of the Jewish Community of Augsburg
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cervone/history.htm
@ Holocaust Links
  http://www2.ebicom.net/~kara/holo.html

: What's your favorite pogrom? For what do you blame Jews? Are you project-
ing? Are Jews really Jews, or Khazars? Are you really human, or Reptilioid?

@ Jews think any Jew who's more religious than they are is crazy, writes
  Philip Weiss. Give up Saturday? Pray with phylacteries, leather straps
  and all? http://www.observer.com/cgi-win/homepage.exe?nyo1/pw110899
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

  "There are already a few who think a world without men would be the best
   future for the species. Others wouldn't mind a touch of biochemical
   engineering to smooth nature's rough edges. I know, because I've met
   them, and their evidence is impressive. Some might say that anti-male
   technology is an intriguing fantasy but hardly anything to add to the
   overburdened list of worries for contemporary earthlings. On the other
   hand, this late into the twentieth century, it is hard to believe that
   anybody can wholly ignore the radical proposals of some tiny splinter
   political group -- especially when those proposals strike deep chords
   in our nature and play upon our most explosive emotions."
   --H.Rheingold, BRAVE NEW MALE, in EXCURSIONS TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE MIND

* http://sonic.net/~ric UPDATED * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *
* THE OFFICIAL MAILING LIST OF THE *SEVENTY*SEVENTH* MILLENNIUM!!