-Caveat Lector-

Wild turkeys are anything but fat. They are big, canny, strong, aggressive
birds, superbly camouflaged...a far cry from the inbred, stupid, overfat
domestic variety. Franklin knew what he was talking about. Eagles are
carrion-eaters and cowards, often stealing prey from other birds--hardly a
fit image for a young revolutionary country. Why are eagles associated with
war and conquest? Simple: as carrion eaters, they are to be found in large
numbers, along with vultures, crows, ravens, and similar birds, on
battlefields, feasting on the remains. Early warriors came to the conclusion
that they came to carry away the souls of the dead, and so began to worship
them as totems. "Where the body is found, there will the eagles be
gathered." I'd much rather have Franklin's model for the Great Seal: on the
obverse, a turkey; on the reverse, a picture of the Boston Tea Party, with
the motto "Rebellion to tyranny is obedience to God."