      1999

                  (Not) Everything
                  you ever wanted
                  to know about SSNs

                  © 1999 Claire Wolfe

                  Last week's column

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_cwolfe/19990812_xccwo_keeping_ba.shtml
                  about babies without
                  Social Security numbers drew a ton of mail.
                  Usually, that's good. This time it was a mixed
                  bag. I heard from gutsy people refusing to
                  cooperate with government child-tracking
                  schemes. I heard from people with helpful
                  info. But I also heard from lots who either
                  didn't get or didn't like what "Lawyer X" and I
                  had to say. This week I want to deal with some
                  of their objections.

                  "How will baby drive, get credit or buy a
                  house without a government number?"

                  Last week's column argued, "Give baby a
                  chance to choose whether or not he wants a
                  number. He can't do that when he's an hour
                  old."

                  I didn't take a stand against all government
                  citizen-numbering (though, in fact, I do and
                  will). I just said that the decision to bear a
                  tracking number has far-reaching
                  consequences for freedom and privacy, and
                  that an individual is entitled to make that
                  decision for himself, not to have it imposed
                  upon him at birth.

                  Yep, years from now -- when it comes time to
                  drive or go to college -- grown-up baby will
                  have some tough decisions to make. Of course,
                  baby might face a more hopeful future if
                  enough people -- today -- tell the government
                  (and its Little Brother corporations) to take a
                  leap into the abyss with their control schemes.

                  "But how will I get my tax deduction if I
                  don't number the baby?"

                  The government wants more of your freedom.
                  If you don't give in, it'll extract more of your
                  money. And if you do give in, it'll know it can
                  take even more money or freedom from you
                  next time. Are these the kinds of choices you
                  want to continue to be pressured to make? Or
                  do you want to say a resounding NO to such
                  blackmail?

                  There is an alternate government number you
                  might be able to wheedle for your baby in
                  order to write him off. Ask the IRS about it.
                  You can always make deals -- if that's the kind
                  of world you want.

                  "But you have to use an SS number.
                  Otherwise, you can't live a normal life!"

                  This objection -- repeated by more
                  correspondents than I care to think about --
                  depressed me for days. Of course it's true.
                  Absolutely, totally, completely true. If you
                  don't have -- or if you refuse to use -- an SS
                  number for ordinary activities like driving,
                  connecting utilities, purchasing firearms,
                  renting videos, etc. -- you'll find yourself
                  leading a curtailed life or constantly fighting
                  with bureaucrats, store clerks and company
                  officials.

                  But can't you see? That's exactly why it's so
                  crucial to fight this universal numbering
                  business as fiercely as if you were a rabid
                  Tasmanian devil!

                  The abuse of SS numbers has been growing
                  since the first SS legislation was spawned. But
                  only since 1996 have the worst abuses been
                  codified into law. You -- and your children --
                  are slowly being squeezed into a position of
                  absolute submission to authority -- with your
                  SS number as the lever. It's being used to
                  control your access to everything from credit to
                  health care to work to investments to
                  education to insurance to housing to travel --
                  and eventually, to food. Free people do not
                  tolerate such control over their lives. It must be
                  halted -- and reversed.

                  "You didn't tell me how I can get a credit
                  card or health insurance without a
                  number."

                  Right. First of all, it was a 1,500-word column
                  about babies. You darn betcha I didn't solve
                  the entire SS problem in that limited space. I
                  couldn't solve it in a book -- though in fact, I
                  have written one on the subject.

                  Anyone who imagines 1) that regaining
                  freedom is going to be an easy little thing or 2)
                  that any writer, adviser, expert, consultant,
                  guru -- or politician -- is going to give them all
                  the answers -- all wrapped up in a nice, tidy
                  package -- is dreaming.

                  I'll do what I can to supply leads and info on
                  various ways to live free. I hope to have much,
                  much more on this topic, over time. But
                  actually getting free takes dedication, research
                  and risk -- on the part of each and every person
                  who seriously wants freedom. The only
                  question is: Do you consider freedom
                  important enough to make the effort?

                  As former slave Frederick Douglass observed:
                  "Those who profess to favor freedom yet
                  deprecate agitation are men who want the
                  crops without plowing up the ground. They
                  want rain without thunder. They want the
                  ocean without the awful roar of its many
                  waters. ... Power concedes nothing without
                  demand. It never has and never will. ... The
                  limits of tyrants are prescribed by the
                  endurance of those whom they oppose."

                  "I just don't like your method of
                  resisting."

                  One acquaintance wrote:

                       I don't see the merits that you do of
                       separating oneself from the
                       advantages of mass society just
                       because some idiots are in charge
                       and are making a pest of
                       themselves.

                       My orientation has always been to
                       either "get out" entirely (through,
                       e.g., establishing several alternative
                       identities along with passports for
                       each) or to simply ignore the
                       bastards whenever possible,
                       comply meekly like a good little
                       sheepie when you can't avoid them,
                       and throw grit in the gears over
                       one's shoulder.

                  And to this I say, "Great!" "Gopherit!" "Hooray
                  for you!"

                  I've written frequently that the rowdy,
                  unpredictable power of the individual --
                  millions of individuals -- is the most potent
                  weapon against tyranny. You do whatever
                  works for you. Just as one car, one color, one
                  book isn't the one for everyone, neither is their
                  only one road to freedom. We can confuse the
                  heck out of the control-freaking creeps by
                  following our individual inclinations and
                  opportunities.

                  I have just one fear about freedom lovers who
                  choose apparent submission -- with heartfelt
                  beliefs that they'll monkeywrench the tyranny
                  works along the way. And that is that, too
                  often, they're fooling themselves. They suck up
                  the benefits, accept the easy life -- and never
                  take a real, effective step for freedom. Oh, but
                  they will someday. Sure, someday. ...

                  But heck, however you can screw up a tyrant's
                  plans -- why not? Toss that monkeywrench.
                  Misspell your name a dozen times in that
                  database. Sue the SOBs. Whatever moves you.
                  Just don't submit.

                  But I still say your child has the right to make
                  her own choices -- when she's old enough.

                  Finally: a tribute and a sigh

                  Consequences? There are so many -- and so
                  many heroes who endure them for freedom's
                  sake.

                  Here's the story of one young man, Trey Felton
                  -- 18-year-old Eagle Scout and 4H clubber -- a
                  sociable kid from a family that "doesn't stand
                  out from the crowd." He has no citizen number
                  because of his religious objections. His mother
                  wrote to explain just one of his struggles.

                  First, Trey was hired by Burger King -- after
                  being up-front about not having an SS number.
                  A month later (after he pointed out that they
                  shouldn't be withholding SS taxes) the
                  franchise owner -- whom he had never even
                  met -- came in and fired him.

                  Then he was hired by a major department store
                  -- again, being up-front about not being in the
                  SS system. He worked for one day, then was
                  told to get a number. His mother says, "He has
                  since furnished them with written
                  documentation explaining there is no law that
                  requires him to get a ssn against his religious
                  convictions, a complete breakdown of the IRC
                  which explains the proper procedure for an
                  employer to follow in such a situation in order
                  to avoid penalties, etc., from the IRS, and a
                  copy of an EEOC ruling which supports his
                  position."

                  An attorney for the store -- attempting to
                  utilize a loophole in the (non-binding) EEOC
                  ruling -- pointed out that business aren't
                  "required to accommodate the employee
                  without a ssn if it would place undue hardship
                  on the company." The attorney then claimed
                  that reprogramming the store's human
                  resource software to list Trey without an SS
                  number would be cost prohibitive.

                  Trey's mother continues: "I have an extensive
                  background with computers and software. I
                  made a call to the software company and
                  spoke with a person in the know there who
                  said it could be done in any of four simple
                  ways without any expense at all."

                  The family and the department store are still
                  trying to work things out. But when this
                  worried mother -- seeing the possibility of a
                  religious discrimination suit on the horizon --
                  e-mailed WorldNetDaily's own
                  vendor-partner, Pre-Paid Legal Services
                  Pre-Paid's rep, Faith Thomas told her bluntly:

                       [A] SS# is required for membership.
                       The SS# is used as a membership
                       number.

                  and again -- after full discussion of the family's
                  religious opposition to numbering:

                       If you want this service ... then give
                       a SS#. If not I wish you the best.

                  Pre-Paid Legal has the right to set whatever
                  membership policies it wishes. But when a
                  company can confidently expect that an
                  audience filled with conservative Christians
                  and libertarians will humbly submit their
                  federally issued tracking numbers as a
                  condition of doing business, we have indeed
                  come far down the road to universal
                  submission.

                                      © 1999 WorldNetDaily.com, Inc.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_cwolfe/19990812_xccwo_keeping_ba.shtml