<http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=tejas_web&m=1>

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 17:45:33 -0500 To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> From:
"Grant H. Potts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: The Real Story
from Seattle - 12/1/99 (fwd) Mime-Version: 1.0 Reply-To:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This came across my desk. It was written by someone who is out in the
streets with my friends from Athens, Ohio, and gives a first-hand
account of what was going on from a protester's perspective. I don't
think I need to point out it's a slightly different view from what we
are getting from major medial channels.

Forwarded w/ permission.

BTW, I'm Grant Potts from Univ. of Penn. I'll post an introduction
sometime soon between monitoring friends in seattle and trying to
finish off this semester.

Never Thirst, Grant

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 13:59:40
EST From: Free Student Press Project <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: The
Real Story from Seattle - 12/1/99

Hey Amada - if you can get this story out to the A-NEWS or other media,
please do.

I got on a Greyhound bus in Pittsburgh at 3:00am, the morning after
Thanksgiving, and traveled 2 and a half days to Seattle to join the
protests against the World Trade Organization. I arrived to see tens of
thousands of activists from the widest range of causes IÌve ever seen
in one place, united around a common concern -- their desire to have a
say in the decisions that affect their lives, otherwise known as
democracy. I wonÌt go into the WTO in great detail. The information is
out there.

You can find for yourself that in the last 4 years the WTO
has been in existence it has ruled against every evironmental and human
health and saftey regulation that has come before it and, through
economic leverage, has compelled countries to repeal these Ïbarriers to
free trade.Ó Such barriers in this country have been the sections of
the Clean Air Act and the Endagered Species Act. But I wonÌt go into
that further, instead I want to share with you what happened here, to
me and thousands of others, yesterday. My friends and I woke up late
Tuesday morning.

One of the largest portests of the century, and we
sleep in. We joined the protests at about 9:00am, and joined a human
chain of people blocking one entrance to the convention center where
the first day of the WTO summit was to take place. This was the scene
at every street that led to the convention center. The plan was to not
let delegates enter and to shut down the meeting. This may sound
drastic, but the purpose was to send a message that many have phrased
as ÏNo globalization without representation.Ó The WTO meetings are
closed to the public and the WTO is not subordinant to any national
government or, more importantly, and democratic body. Yet it has shown
itself to have more of a say in things as basic as the quality of the
air we breath than we ourselves do.

To me and nearly 50,000 others,
this warranted the serious direct action. However, as serious as these
demonstrations were, they were to be ALL non-violent. After being part
of our own barrier to free trade and turning back WTO delegates for
about an hour, we heard that protesters needed help at another
intersection a few blocks away. Since there were more than enough
people to keep up the barrier where we were, we left the blockade and
headed for the corner of 8th and Seneca. When we arrived, we saw lots
of demonstrators but no major media cameras. There was a smaller group
of people sitting down on the street (which had already been closed)
with police in riot gear standing behind them. Instead of the ordinary
billy clubs, all of SeattleÌs police were holding 3 foot oak clubs that
look more like basball bats than batons.

When they began putting on
their gas masks it became evident that they were planning to use pepper
spray on the people sitting down. The rest of the crowd was pleading
with the police not to use this cruel tactic. It was possible that if
more people sat down, they police wouldnÌt spray them, so I joined that
group. When it became apparent that they were going to use the spray
anyway, we all locked legs and arms together and I pulled a bandana my
freind had given me over my face, covering my mouth and eyes. Onlookers
bgan yelling, ÏGet ready! They going to do it! Get ready!Ó I heard the
spray and people began screaming in pain. I was just expecting spray,
so I was pretty surprised when I felt one of those big clubs land on
the top of my head. The guy behind me took most of the force from the
blow, so I wasnÌt hurt badly. I covered my head with my arm and covered
my eyes with my hand, as the screams continued and it became obvious
-even though I couldnÌt see anything from underneath my bandana- that
the cops were not only spraying but beating the people as well.

police officer then grabbed my hand and pulled it away from my face and
spayed me in the eyes with a cannister of pepper spray. I held my eyes
closed tight and my bandana absorbed the spray, protecting my eyes and
face. I breathed a little bit of it in and began coughing. the crowd
started to break up as the police continued beating people. I pulled
away and stood up, pulling the bandana away from my eyes to see the
police beating the few people that remained sitting. One woman was
trying to get up and they kept jabbing her in the side with their
clubs.

The rest of the crowd pulled those people to safety and began
washing their eyes with a solution of baking soda and water to counter
the effects of the blinding pepper spray. This was my first experience
with the spray. I got a tiny bit of the spray on my forehead and it
burnt very badly, was very painful. I canÌt even begin to imagine the
pain the people felt who got it sprayed directly into their eyes. I
think I was luckier than anyone else I was sitting with, having escaped
the spary and only having been clubbed once. I screamed at the cops for
a while, called them facist pigs between plenty of other expletives.

But when things calmed down a bit, myself and others began speaking to
the police. It suddenly became evident that some of them were visibly
disturbed by what they had just done. One female officerÌs hands were
shaking as she held her club up to her chest like the rest did in the
line they had formed. She kept blinking her eyes to avoid crying. We
talked to other officers who wouldnÌt look us in the eyes, but their
faces showed no signs of pleasure.

After I calmed down a bit and got my
emotions under contol enough to speak, I said to them, ÏYou probably
think weÌre just fanatics with nothing better to do, or maybe vagrants
who are too lazy to be working right now, or maybe spoiled college kids
who donÌt have to work. You can think that weÌre idiots who came across
a few statistics on environmental degredation or sweatshops, that weÌre
out here today to be self-righteous and think that weÌre better than
everybody else, but weÌre people just like you. And everybody standing
here with me knows exactly why theyÌre here today. WeÌre trying to make
the world better. And I donÌt think a single one of you even knows why
youÌre here. How many of you support the WTO? How many of you even know
what it does?

We know why weÌre here. Why the hell are you here? I
donÌt think any of you became police officers to beat people who arenÌt
a threat to anyoneÌs safety. Just who do you think youÌre protecting?
WeÌre unarmed. None of us have tried to attack you or anyone else
today. You attacked us. You arenÌt protecting yourselves; thereÌs no
one behind you that youÌre protecting -- Who do you think youÌre
protecting!? If you have a good reason for beating us today, if you
felt it was right, thatÌs one thing. But if you didnÌt have any reason
and you still beat these people anyway, I want you to ask yourself why
you did it. Why you were willing to inflict violence on other people
for no reason other than you were told to.Ó I asked them to go home and
think about that; what they did to make things better today by beating
non-violent protesters; if thatÌs what they became cops to do. They
were all silent, turning they heads constantly to avoid eye contact
with any of the protesters speaking.

Th commanding officer walked down
a line in between the police and us, pushing protesters back. He
ordered the crowd to disperse, saying that if we didnÌt leave they
would remove us by force. We didnÌt leave. We just kept talking to the
police more. I asked the commanding officer to explain to us why we
ought to leave. He didnÌt acknowledge the question. I asked them all if
thatÌs what those clubs meant, that they didnÌt have to explain their
actions to anyone, even themselves. Other protesters reminded them that
even though they were trained to be robots, they were still people who
were responsible for their own actions -- orders or no orders. I told
them my name, where I was from, that I go to college, that I have
family and friends. I asked them their names. None answered. We stayed
there and the police didnÌt charge. Not because I think we convinced
them not to, but because there were too many of us.

Soon a group of
people with their arms chained together inside tubes wrapped in duct
tape. 4 of these people were from Athens; 3 OU students and friends of
mine. The police were still threatening to charge the crowd. I quickly
realized that these people had no way to protect their heads from the
police clubs. Being obviously violent had already proven to be no
defense against police violence. Another OU student and I walked up to
the police line to ask them about this. The line was now made up of
different police officers. We approached one and asked him about this.
He looked at us and said, ÏWell, if theyÌre worried about getting hurt,
they should have thought about that before they came out today.Ó I
asked him to show me his badge number. He refused. ÏArenÌt you required
to show your identification to the public?Ó He didnÌt answer. The
officer to his left sneered at me and said, ÏWell you have all the
answers, why donÌt you tell me?Ó Before I could, he raised his club and
yelled at me to back up. I did and continued talking to him, but he
looked away and ignored me. The first officer had no identifying number
anywhere on him. No visible badge, no number on his helmet. I took his
picture and got others to. Telling everybody that we needed to watch
him.

When I first spoke to police after they had beaten us, I was very
encouraged that some had actually shown some signs of human compassion,
but my hopefullness dissappeared after I talked to the latter group of
officers and realized that many of them were quite happy to inflict
harm on people. Reinforcements came and as protesters cleared the way
for them, one cop pushed a protster, and said ÏGet the fuck out of my
way,Ó with a smile on his face. From time to time ambulances would come
through and the crowd would clear a path immediately. Some protesters
said, ÏWhat if WTO delegates are sneeking in on the ambulances?Ó But
people came to an immediate concensus that, although that was a
possiblity, it wasnÌt worth risking peopleÌs safety. Suddenly, a WTO
delegate made it unnoticed through our lines. But when he made it to
police they refused to let him enter. They turned back another delegate
later.

As it turned out, we were gaurding an exit not an entrance; that
they policeÌs orders were to not let anyone in -- whoever they were.
Also, since police had shut down the street and no protesters had
attempted to cross police lines, none of us were even doing anything
illegal. -- which is probably why none of the people in the sit-down
group were arrested. Though none of us were arrested, all of us were
beaten and sprayed. Word soon made it to us that the situation was
worse elsewhere.

We made ourway to the heart of downtown and found the
streets full of teargas. There was a large group of people sitting down
in front of police in full riot gear with their gas masks on. Behind
them was an armored tank. They police attacked protesters again.
Against non-violent protesters, they used pepper spray, clubs, tear
gas, and later fired rubber bullets and marbles at the people. In every
single istance I witnessed first hand, police violently attacked
non-violent protesters with no provocation whatsoever. That was the
case when I was beaten and sprayed, that was the case when downtown was
flooded with gas, with helicopters flying overhead shining spotlights
down into the crowd. Thousands of police forced protesters out of the
dowtown area firing cannister after cannister of tear gas into the
crowd.

My friends and I were split up in the crowd of people fleeing
from the gas. eventually, I made it back to the house to join them. The
whole way to their house, I was hoping that this story would get out.
Hoping that the level of violence inflicted on non-violent protesters,
peacefully assembled, would wake a lot of people up and show them the
level of democracy in this country. Hoping that people would see what
the level of force aimed at people who peacefully oppose the interests
that are dominant in this country and the world. I returned home to
have this hope crushed.

Th local news stations were reporting on the
broken windows of businesses and not the broken bones of protesters.
They reported on things like Ïpolice fatigue.Ó Which I assume is when
your arms get tired after you beat people for hours. They talked -and
continue to talk about- the extremely Ïrestraint, openmindedness, and
gentlenessÓ displayed by police. A state of civil emergency was
declared and a curfew was set for 7pm. If anyone was downtown after
that, they would be arrested. Police cleared the curfew zone of people,
but we watched them on TV continued to pursue them up Capitol Hill --
blocks past the curfew zone. The police chased them into a business
area and fired tear gas into crowds that were now made up of shoppers
and people getting dinner as well as protesters.

Finally, after 12
hours of people being beaten and gased, a small riot broke out. A
Starbucks coffee store was damaged and looted. IÌm amazed it took this
long to happen, and I say this in all honesty from being here first
hand, that, by repeatedly attacking and torturing non-violent
protesters, the Seattle police sought to incite a riot and finally
succeeded to a small degree. The news kept running the scene of
starbucks being looted again, and again, and again. At least a dozen
times in under an hour. There were also quick clips of police beating
demostrators shown once and not again. A newscaster on KOMO, channle 4,
said, ÏLook, earlier today we saw protesters carrying signs with clear
messages against the WTO, but what you have going on now is an unruly
mob just trying to cause problems.

In the pictures weÌre seeing now, I
donÌt see any signs at all. These people donÌt have any message.Ó What
the newscaster failed to notice was that people, myself included,
dropped their signs when they were fleeing for their lives. They were
dropped because you need two hands to gaurd your eyes from tears gas.
Talk of the Ïpolice being too lenientÓ has continued into todays news
reports. And the lack of signs continues to be portrayed as a lack of
any constuctive purpose among the protesters. One newscaster said,
ÏCome on, get a life.

We live in a prosperous country.Ó In all honesty,
the news is scaring me more than the riot police, because what it has
done is justify further violence against the protesters. They have said
that Ïpolice have been too lenient.Ó The police have used teargas,
pepper spary, clubs, rubber bullets, and marbles against peaceful
civilians in downtown Seattle. The only thing they havenÌt done is used
live amunition. And in the event that greater violence occurs against
protesters, the media will have justified it. Besides insulting
protesters the local media has focused on the diruption to traffic and
holiday shopping.

The National Guard is now occupying the city, a 50
block Ïno protestÓ zone has been established, about 120 people have
been arrested, and many have been hospitalized -- though that has
recieved no covergae as far as IÌve seen. In other news, we succeeded
in shutting down the first day of WTO meetings. The situation is still
developing, so I encourage everyone to watch the news converage and
contast it to what IÌve written here. AND PLEASE, do your own research
on the WTO.

-Damon Krane