-Caveat Lector-

Das GOAT wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Updated Jesus Image Has Dark Skin
>
> By DAVID CRARY
> .c The Associated Press
>
> NEW YORK (AP) - A painting of a dark-skinned Jesus, by an artist who used a
> woman as a model, has been selected by a Catholic publication as the winner
> of its contest to update the image of Christ for the new millennium.
>
> The painting, ``Jesus of the People,'' was selected from nearly 1,700 entries
> for the cover of a special millennium issue being published this week by the
> National Catholic Reporter, an independent newsweekly and one of the
> best-known Catholic publications in the country.
>
> ``My goal was to be as inclusive as possible,'' said the artist, Janet
> McKenzie, from her studio in Island Pond, Vt. ``At first glance, he is a
> black or African-American Jesus, but looking more deeply you see many people
> in it.''
>
> The painting shows a robed and haloed Jesus. Against a pale pink background
> are a yin-yang symbol, intended to represent perfect balance, and a feather,
> symbolizing the American Indian spirituality that McKenzie learned about
> during a stay in New Mexico.
>
> The painting ``is a haunting image of a peasant Jesus - dark, thick-lipped,
> looking out on us with ineffable dignity, with sadness but with confidence,''
> wrote Sister Wendy Beckett, the 69-year-old British nun and host of a public
> television series about art. She selected the winner and three runners-up.
>
> In the view of one of the judges, Sherry Lynn Best, who directs an art
> gallery at Rockhurst University: ``It's not real masculine. It's not real
> feminine. It's not really androgynous, either.''
>
> Contestants in 19 countries, ranging from children to prominent graphic
> designers, submitted entries that a three-member jury winnowed to 10
> finalists.
>
> The contest was conceived by the National Catholic Reporter's editor, Michael
> Farrell, who had hoped it would produce a provocative winner.
>
> ``If everybody looks at it and says, `Very nice,' that means it will have
> failed,'' he said. ``Every new work of art that has been worth anything has
> been controversial when it first appeared.''
>
> McKenzie, who wins a $2,000 first prize, describes herself as a ``devout
> agnostic'' with an interest in many faiths. She has devoted much of her work
> to images of strong, spiritual women.
>
> Her Jesus, she said, was intended to be a masculine presence, but she sought
> to add subtly a feminine dimension by using a woman as a model.
>
> ``This painting is about love,'' she said. ``It's about reminding all of us
> about the importance of celebrating our differences.''
>
> The judges who reviewed the entries said they were struck by the variety:
> abstract designs, computer graphics, Jesus as a homeless person, Jesus in
> outer space cradling the Earth, a Jesus with superhero biceps.
>
> ``I think Jesus would have liked this contest,'' said one of the judges,
> [...]

Aaaaahhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha .

Next decade, when the Koreans and other Asians trade in their heritage for
Western superstitions, Jesus will have slanted eyes and a yellowish tinge.

The TRUTH is that Jesus probably looked like Woody Allen without glasses.
Or perhaps, Gene Wilder. Or, if Christians are really lucky, Bernard Schwartz
a.k.a. Tony Curtis.

Joshua2