-Caveat Lector-

First of all, it is important to emphasize that we are
not discussing strategy, only tactics.
I think most anarchists hate the corporate rule and
its devastating consequences just as much as I do.
Otherwise I wouldn't find discussion worthwhile.

My provocative post was intended for
- getting over once for all with the long standing
discussion violence/not violence, and also for
- suggesting a logic way of refining our tactics.

Doing it in this open manner at the same time should
educate our audience about our working conditions, so
they understand and accept why we sometimes have to turn
a little bit up for the violence in order to get through
to them:

The mass media obviously are alpha and omega for
fullfilling our mission.

The main object of the 99 % mass media monopoly of the
capital power therefore is to prevent us from
unveiling the mechanisms and incredibly destructive
nature and consequences of capitalism, and in particular
from disclosing that there is an alternative.

But the individual media, however, also have to
sell all kinds of sensations in order to survive.
And that is our only chance.

The typical sensation-parameters with regard to
demonstrations are number of participants and degree
of violence.

But big size in itself is no guarantee. Lots of
demonstrations even bigger than that in Seattle pass more
or less unnoticed by the media.

Violence is the safest media magnet.
Maximum sympathy we gain of course when the violence
is not initiated by us.

For several reasons there was very much focus on Seattle
beforehand. And the brutality of the police made the
scene perfect for maximum worldwide sympathy for our
cause.

Therefore the subsequent smashing of windows, etc., was
counterproductive.

Hooliganism is violence with no precise and easily
understandable purpose and target.

As alternative to peaceful demonstration, the organizers
could have chosen to arm all of us, so that we could
have overpowered the police and taken all of the WTO
delegates hostages until they had given up their vicious
undertakings.

That would also have made sense and given us lots of
credits.

For very good reasons the organizers refrained from this
option.

All of this should be obvious.

So my only original contribution is the suggestion that
the organizers in the future arrange for contacts for
worldwide continual reporting on the local media coverage
during the demonstration, so that we all the time can
turn up or down for the violence in accordance with the
average coverage.

By the way, has anybody expressed our deep gratitude for
the great job the organizers, anarchists and others,
did for accomplishing this historic event which has the
potential of becoming a turning point ?

I think we should !

Ole Fjord Larsen,
member of United Peoples
http://www.unitedpeoples.net

P.S. Flexibility also seems to be what gave the Mau-Mau freedomfighters in Kenya
the victory, cf. the following
post:

            Re: FUTURE PLANNING AFTER SEATTLE