-Caveat Lector-

From: "Jim Barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

grenades,>or dynamite. (The stolen military night-vision devices had earlier
been
>recovered
>& were never in the possession of the WSM.) Instead, he "might have" seen an
>M-16. Or, it might have been "a toy". Instead of actually seeing or
>handling any
>dynamite or grenades, he now claimed to have seen boxes which he "knew"
>contained those explosives.
>
>2. There was no 'fortified' room in Pitner's garage. A storage room,
>constructed of
>plywood & two-by-fours, had been built in the garage and the door was not
even
>kept locked.
>
>3. Under questioning by federal prosecutors and defense counsel, as to why
>he had lied about Pitner to his FBI employers, Maeurer said he thought
Pitner>was dangerous and needed to be arrested.

>4. Maeurer owed in excess of $35,000 in summary judgement outstanding
against>him, for passing fradulent checks, at the time he began informing on
the WSM.
>Under questioning, he admitted that he had never re-paid any of this
>court-ordered
>restitution.
>
>5. John Pitner had resigned as Director of the WSM three months prior to his
>arrest, due to growing financial, marital and health problems. His wife
>had left
>him, he had suffered a small stroke that summer, and was no longer attending
>any militia meetings.
>
>6. Michael German (the undercover FBI agent) and Maeurer (the paid
informant)>assumed leadership positions within the militia group after
Pitner's
>departure,
>becoming members of a three-man Leadership Council heading the WSM.
>
>7. German and Maeurer instigated every illegal activity performed by the
>militia
>members, after assuming leadership of the organization. It was German &
>Maeurer
>who first suggested building pipebombs to sell and raise money for the WSM,
>through German's supposed 'contacts' in the military surplus business. It
was>German & Maeurer who brought the idea up over & over again, until people
>agreed to do it. It was German & Maeurer who first suggested converting
>weapons
>to full-automatic, and insisted on stockpiling them, and pushed the idea
>until it was
>acted upon. It was German who leased a warehouse in downtown Seattle, and
>German who bought milling equipment needed to alter the weapons, and German
>who directed people to travel out-of-state to purchase bomb components.
>
>8. German and Maeurer caused suspicion and distrust of Pitner to develop
among
>the other militia members. They engendered the belief that Pitner had taken
>money from a group yardsale & spent in for his own benefit. They encouraged
>the other WSM members to ostracize Pitner & insisted he not be told about
the>bomb-building and weapon conversions which were then taking place. They
>forbade the group members from informing Pitner of the location or existence
>of the downtown warehouse.
>
>9. Maeurer, in the presence of Special Agent German, elicited death threats
>to be made over the telephone to Pitner and another WSM member who was
>out-of-favor with the group.
>
>10. Maeurer's trial testimony accused Pitner of being an active participant
in
>the sale of an UZI submachine gun. Pitner did not own the gun, and no
evidence
>was presented that he knew the transaction was occurring between Maeurer
>and another WSM member, or that he profited in any way from the sale.
Despite>repeated references to Pitner (by Maeurer) on secretly-recorded tapes
as the
>transaction took place, the seller of the gun continually denied that
>Pitner had
>any part in what was taking place, stating at one point, "I don't know why
you
>keep talking about John... he doesn't have anything to do with this. I
>don't even
>think he knows I have an UZI."
>
>11. An illegal warrantless search was made of Pitner's home on 25 July,
1996,>by Special Agent In Charge Ramon Garcia and Special Agent Cathy Fahey,