-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 991231a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* No murderous millennialists nuked a city during production of this post.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Tasteless Phrases: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/faqs/tasteless/phrase-book
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Temple tested by party. ANGKOR, Cambodia (AP)  The durability of the 800-
  year-old stone temples of Angkor Wat, one of Asia's greatest architectural
  wonders, is about to be tested by the millennium celebrations. Angkor Wat,
  built by Khmer god-kings between the 8th and 13th centuries, will be the
  backdrop for a show of traditional ballet & fireworks. Scads of tourists
  are swarming to the nearby town of Siem Reap, but attendance for Festival
  Angkor 2000 will likely fall well short of organizers' predictions of 30k-
  100k. The Cambodian govt hopes the event will foster tourism in this
  impoverished SE Asian country, now at peace after 30 years of civil war.
  See http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562933797-0a4

: Who's your favorite god-king? Are you a god-king yourself? Have you built/
done/said anything important lately? Do you suffer from an edifice complex?

@ WHERE CAN I GO TO WATCH AN AUTOPSY? Not the same as dissecting a cadaver:
  http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17097
# Dalai Lama unhurt in road accident - a failed assassination attempt?
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562930394-de9
# Japan cult leader expresses remorse - sorry 'bout that, folks:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562932713-d70
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Oklahoma's Area 51. Everyone has heard of famous Area 51, right? And most
  of us have heard about strange aerial vehicles that lurk there. I propose
  a new area, "Oklahoma's Area 51". It actually covers a vast area of west
  Oklahoma. The center of UFO activity is near the old Clinton-Sherman AFB
  in Burns Flat, Oklahoma. This area has been host to some of the strangest
  cases in UFO history, mostly unreported till recently, and NASA says it's
  a major player in future Space business. http://www.caus.org/mu122799b.htm

: What's your favorite secret Area? Have you numbered it yet? Is it infested
with pesky Aliens, eerie Illuminati, psycho MiBs, haughty Bilderbergers, me?

@ Thank The Little Green Men - how the search for mythical Martians led to
  the greatest discovery of modern cosmology: http://caus.org/pn122799.htm
@ Toward the New Millenium - time marches on: http://caus.org/mc122499.htm
@ GOOD HEALTH IN THE NEXT MILLENNIUM - am I immortal yet? Why not?
  http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=23956
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Y2K-A-Rama, The Final Chapter:

# Market Shrugs Off Y2K Fears. Millennium bug, schmillennium bug. The stock
  market *SPITS* on your millennium bug, ending the year on a robust note.
  Ptui! Even if something goes wrong in the 2000 changeover, the market will
  survive -- and thrive -- analysts say. And nothiinngg can go worrngggg...
  http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,33347,00.html?tw=wn19991230

: What can/will go wrong? Has it gone wrong already, but we didn't notice??
Should we sing IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT AND I FEEL FINE ???

# Century ends, uncertain road ahead, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562935193-f93
# Also: Words 1900s: Telephone to Internet, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562934666-987
# And: Millennium briefs, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562934384-805
# More: Americans consider world's end, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562936414-2c6

: Nothing much is happening -- is there a conspiracy of normalcy? Have the
new control mechanisms been so firmly implanted that we can't even see them?

# Gun sales surge at end of the year, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562925389-06b
# Social Security Y2K bugs double-checked, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562924499-8f6
# Great pause will mark the new year, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562923630-095
# Hawaii marking 2000 with fireworks
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562923212-5e1
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# NEWS ALERT 12/31/99: Yeltsin resigns; India air hostages released; few Y2K
  problems. MOSCOW (AP) - Asking forgiveness for his mistakes, Boris Yeltsin
  stunned Russia Friday by announcing his resignation, saying elections will
  be held in 90 days for a new president to lead Russia into a new century.
  Yeltsin said he was stepping down immediately because he wanted Prime Min-
  ister Vladimir Putin to succeed him. In other news, five hijackers walked
  off an Indian Airlines plane Friday and fled the airport in waiting vehi-
  cles, after releasing all 155 hostages, bringing a peaceful end to a tense
  8-day standoff. The armed hijackers drove away taking with them the two
  militants and the Islamic cleric they had demanded be freed from Indian
  jails. In more news, there have been few reports of Y2K glitches since
  early this morning when countries in Asia welcomed the new millennium. No
  reports had been received of serious Y2K-related incidents in the first 20
  countries that made the rollover. There also was nada out of the ordinary
  in Sydney, Australia, one of the first major cities; Hong Kong; S.Korea;
  China; Russia's early time zones, including a nuclear reactor at Bilibino;
  or on Guam, the first civilian piece of U.S. soil to greet the new year.

# For Yeltsin story see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562962825-3ac
# And: For hostage story see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562957132-91b
# And: For Y2K story see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562961949-082
# Also: Clinton pays tribute to Yeltsin, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562962854-766
# Also: Freed hijack passengers arrive in India, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562960744-f1f
# And: Americans grow more Y2K confident, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2562962884-dd3

: Does the normalcy drive you nutz? Are your ready to destroy a city? Which?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Editor's note: In California, it's still about half-a-day to the millennium.
Elsewhere around the world, the rollover has happened or is happening, to
no great discomfiture.  Yesterday afternoon I stopped in a local market to
restock the fridge after a week's absence, and it was grim -- no panic, but
the place was thronged, and certain shelf sections were stripped.  Bottled
water, beans [canned and dry], flour, frozen pizzas, cheap wine, batteries,
canned tuna, all gone.  Budweiser Millennium beer, untouched.  Go figure.

I asked the checker if she'd ever seen a day like this.  She said, "No, and
if I had, I'd a'never come back."  I'd already stood in line an hour.

Other markets seemed similarly jammed.  The traffic homeward was thick, fast
and furious.  Motorists lined up for expensive gasoline, then whipsawed down
the roads less politely than usual.  Definitely an ugly mood.  I've not gone
out yet today -- I *do* need to bicycle into town for something, and I dread
the prospects.  Wish me luck, eh?  In case I'm smeared en route, well, it's
been fun.  Y'all have a nice new millennium -- let's see if we can muck it
up a little less than the last one.  Cya --Ric

PS: I just finished entering the text of The Desert Rat Scrap Book, Packet
One of Pouch One, Fall 1946.  If you'd like to see a major inspiration for
these Bulletins, try: http://members.xoom.com/0rpheus/hofc/t011.htm  Enjoy.

  "No matter how bad things may seem, think of how much worse you'd
   feel if you were also up to your knees in teeming cockroaches."
   -- http://www.SleazyTabloid.com

* Rev. Ric Carter, ULC * http://skepticon.da.ru * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* THE OFFICIAL MAILING LIST OF THE *SEVENTY*SEVENTH* MILLENNIUM!!