-Caveat Lector-

BP Amoco Hires Law Firm For FTC Battle Over $32 Billion Arco Buyout
[Note:  Kirkland & Ellis was the law firm Kenneth Starr worked for]

Dow Jones

BP Amoco PLC has hired more lawyers for its struggle with the Federal
Trade Commission, apparently in preparation for a possible court battle
over its pending $32 billion buyout of Atlantic Richfield Co. (ARC),
Thursday's Wall Street Journal reported.

http://dowjones.wsj.com/i/law/SB947167187179257007-d-industry-c1-law.html

BP Amoco Hires Law Firm For FTC Battle Over $32 Billion Arco Buyout
Dow Jones Newswires

WASHINGTON -- BP Amoco PLC has hired more lawyers for its struggle with the
Federal Trade Commission, apparently in preparation for a possible court
battle over its pending $32 billion buyout of Atlantic Richfield Co. (ARC),
Thursday's Wall Street Journal reported.

The hiring of litigation experts Kirkland & Ellis late last month comes
after FTC staffers recommended that the commission challenge the merger
because of concerns the combined companies would dominate Alaska North Slope
oil production and bring higher gasoline prices to West Coast markets.

  QUOTES PLUS LOOKUP
  Get stock prices, charts, news, and information on the companies in this
article.
  ARC BPA
  Do a Business Search

The agency's position hasn't changed in recent weeks, despite efforts by the
company to reopen talks to seek a settlement, people close to the case said.

Tom Koch, a spokesman for the British oil concern (BPA), said, "We were
hopeful to have some meetings with the FTC this week to see what their
position was, and then see where we went from there. I don't think a legal
fight has entered the picture yet, but it is something given the
circumstances that we certainly would have to consider."

He added, however, "We are still hopeful we can get an agreement with the
FTC and get this deal closed."