</A> -Cui Bono?-

SkeptiNews 000118b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* No reincarnated royals were harmed during production of this bulletin...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ The Clitoris Game: http://www.nauticom.net/www/ween/clitgame.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Nuns block West Bank church seizure. JERICHO, West Bank (AP)  Two US nuns,
  including a sister of ex-Clinton aide George Stephanopoulos, stubbornly
  stood their ground in a monastery Palestinian police tried to seize over
  the weekend. At issue is a property dispute between the exiled Russian
  Orthodox Church and its more powerful rival based in Moscow. The Russian
  Jericho Garden Monastery had been in the hands of the exiled, or "White"
  church, but Palestinian police raiding it Saturday said they had documents
  showing it belonged to the "Red" church in Moscow. Not just sucking up:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563396867-8fc

@ Hildegard of Bingen has become a golden calf for feminists, New Age
  healers, and even dress-code rebels. They're wrong: this nun was one
  tough sister: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/6/story_622.html

: Do you admire tough, determined nuns? Are you a tough nun? Are you married
to your deity? Is it a sensuous relationship? Are you at odds with nuns in
other factions/denominations/faiths? Is sisterhood more potent than dogma?

# Boys red-faced over condoms. (BBC) Young British men are too embarrassed,
  and often too excited, to use condoms. STDs will weed them out eventually.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_607000/607549.stm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Robots Are Evolving, Population Is Booming Worldwide. The population of
  robots nearly doubled over the last decade in North America alone, and
  they are becoming increasingly important in applications ranging from
  quality control to space exploration, surgery to the service industry.
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000117071805.htm

: When will robots replace humans in all material endeavors? When will they
surpass us intellectually, emotionally, spiritually? Will we be obsolescent,
transcendent, phosphorescent? Will robots be our willing slaves forever? Eh?

# Secret processor to be unveiled. SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - A top-secret
  computer chip designed & funded by a powerful group of high-tech leaders
  is slated to roll out this Wednesday amid a flurry of high expectations
  and intrigue. Hoping to usher in a whole new world of electronics, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563387979-15d
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Scientists foresee melding of man and machine. A few years ago, when his
  father died, Peter Cochrane dreamed up the Soul Catcher. The idea: Implant
  sensors to record every waking moment, cradle to grave, so that a person's
  essence might be shared with future generations -- perhaps interactively,
  using artificial intelligence to concoct likely responses during a "con-
  versation." Cochrane asked his mother and wife how they would feel about
  downloading dear old dad, if possible. "They were horrified." Are you?
  http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/business_17.html

: Do you seek intellectual immortality, your mind living on after your body
quits? Would you mind being monitored for-ever to gain such immortality? Is
this effectively heaven, hell, purgatory? Would you be enslaved forever??

@ Is "reality" basically an encrypted code? http://caus.org/cz011800.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Ordinary Dutchman reincarnation of African king. AMSTERDAM, Netherlands
  (AP) - A middle-aged, paunchy, unemployed white man plops down on the sofa
  to watch TV with his kids. Meet King Togbe Korsi Ferdinand Gakpetor II of
  Ghana. In Holland, the king is Henk Otte, a Dutch construction worker on
  welfare. In West Africa, he rules part of the lush Volta Region, home to
  tens of thousands of Ewes who revere him as Togbe, or king. Otte, 43, is
  as Dutch as the Dutch come, born and raised in Amsterdam like his parents.
  He lives in an Amsterdam housing project with his wife and two children,
  and an ordinary life would have suited him just fine. But during a 1995
  visit to the hometown of his Ghanaian-born wife, Mamaa Awo Mepeyo Kpui,
  Otte was identified as the reincarnation of the late chief, his wife's
  grandfather. http://infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563397387-544

: Are you reincarnated royalty? Are we all? Are you revered? Should we all
be revered? Is there enough reverence around? Will reverence and US$1.98 buy
you a Big Mac? Is McFood fit for royalty? Do your subjects feed you burgers?

# TODAY'S FUN FOOD FACT: McDonald's new hefty Big Xtra! has the same
  amount of fat as 18 slices of Hormel Black Label lean bacon. Yum:
  http://www.starnews.com/news/business/2000/jan/0113st_burger.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Space-O-Rama:

# Perturber Steals Protoplanetary Dust, Flees Scene. Back when Beta Pictoris
  nearly had that head-on with another star, things were hairy for awhile.
  http://www.space.com/science/astronomy/beta_pictoris_000117.html

# Beta Pictoris Disk Hides Giant Elliptical Ring System:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000113122337.htm
# "Great Show-Off" Black Hole Is Producing Massive Shock Waves:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000118062659.htm
# Chandra Images The Seething Cauldron Of Starburst Galaxy:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000113203310.htm
# Chandra Finds Oxygen And Neon Ring In Ashes Of Exploded Star:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000113201019.htm

# Streamers Show a Black Hole Feeding. Scientists are all but certain that
  there is a black hole at the center of our galaxy, raising the question
  of exactly what the great gobbler of matter eats for dinner. Our turn:
  http://www.space.com/science/astronomy/blackhole_streamers_000117.html

# Chandra Image May Reveal Black Hole In The Milky Way:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000113202010.htm
# The Star Splitter: Lone Black Holes Adrift In The Galaxy:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000117072611.htm
# Planet Search Results Suggest Our Solar System May Be Uncommon:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000117073107.htm
# Hubble Views An Expanding Bubble In Space:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000117074112.htm
# Number Of "Near-Earth Asteroids" Are Fewer Than Believed:
  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/01/000117072151.htm

  "We cannot see the future. We cannot change the past. We can only
   live in the now, with an eye towards gaining enough power in the
   future to exact revenge on everyone who ever screwed us in the
   past." -- http://www.SleazyTabloid.com

* Rev.R.Carter, ULC * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Dope/Music * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Plots *
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm