</A> -Cui Bono?-

>Subject: "book" and "burning" in the same sentence...
>Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:10:08 -0800
>
>  an editorial: "A Bush Family Book Burning"
>  re J.H. Hatfield's _Fortunate Son_
>  http://www.consortiumnews.com/111799a.html
>
>     ... St. Martin's announced that it was pulling the book and
>     planning to incinerate the 70,000 copies.  "They're heat, furnace
>     fodder," declared Sally Richardson, president of St. Martin's trade
>     division. [NYT, Oct. 23, 1999].....

but now see:

from http://www.konformist.com newgroup:
http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist/

The Dallas Morning News, by Pete Slover, 30 November 1999

  AUSTIN  -  A small New York publishing firm announced Monday that it will
  reissue a biography of Governor George W. Bush containing disputed drug
  allegations, a book scrapped by its first publisher after revelations that
  the author was a felon.

  Soft Skull Press initially will print 25,000 paperback copies of "Fortunate
  Son : George W. Bush and the Making of an American President," in which
  author J. H. Hatfield quotes three anonymous sources as saying that Mr.
  Bush covered up a 1972 cocaine arrest.

  Mr. Bush, the GOP presidential front-runner, disputed those allegations,
  which have not been corroborated elsewhere.

  "Soft Skull reprints 'Fortunate Son' to allow the voters to judge for
  themselves," the company's senior editor, Sander Hicks, said at a news
  conference in New York.  "Soft Skull was the single press to prove it had
  the courage and resources to take on this controversial book and finally
  put it in the hands of the American people."

  Mr. Hicks also said he saw the book as a potentially profitable bestseller.
  Soft Skull's version of the book will sell for $16.50, including a new
  index and foreward not found in the $25.95 hardback original.  It will be
  available in bookstores in mid-January, or at the publisher's website.

  http://www.softskull.com/
see also www.gwbush.com for some letters to GW Bush from real prisoners
doing time for drug offenses.

"There ought to be limits to freedom." --GW Bush in reference to
www.gw.bush.com.

here'a another:
         WIRE:12/10/1999
                Publisher agrees to destroy copies of book
          http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap19991210_1675.html
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ The California
publisher of a controversial book about the Oklahoma City bombing will
destroy copies of the book as part of a settlement of a lawsuit filed by
a former FBI official over false and inaccurate statements in the book.

Stan Twardy, attorney for former FBI official Oliver "Buck" Revell, said
Friday that the number of books being destroyed was not available but he
described it as "substantial." The publisher said all books in its
distributor's warehouse would be destroyed.

Revell said David Hoffman's book, "The Oklahoma City Bombing and The
Politics of Terror" contained false and inaccurate statements about him
and "by innuendo" portrayed him as a co-conspirator in the bombing.

Feral House Inc. promised to destroy copies of the book to avoid
"further dissemination of inaccurate statements."

"contrary to reports, is still available in major book stores, or from
the author, David Hoffman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The full text of "The Oklahoma City Bombing and
the  Politics of Terror" can be read on-line at:
<http://www.constitution.org/ocbpt/ocbpt.htm>   "

at least it was the last time I looked, which was a month ago.

so I guess it's not really banned, is it?

"Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings."