</A> -Cui Bono?-

Notes on Tripp are mostly sour

Letters: A Maryland prosecutor hears from people all over the
country about the wiretap case, and three out of four fault him.

By Del Quentin Wilber
Sun Staff

>From all corners of America, dozens of people have written
letters on scrap paper, letterhead and even a Christmas card to
vent their anger at one man: State Prosecutor Stephen
Montanarelli.

They are upset that Montanarelli is "hounding" and "harassing,"
"persecuting" and "prosecuting" Linda R. Tripp on state
wiretapping charges.

One writer suggests that Montanarelli should die; another calls
him a "pimp"; still another includes his photograph with the
caption, "Liar."

About 130 letters, obtained by The Sun under the Maryland Public
Information Act, have arrived at the state prosecutor's office in
Towson since February 1998, when Montanarelli began looking into
whether Tripp illegally taped White House intern Monica
Lewinsky's conversations about President Clinton.

They portray an interesting slice of the American psyche and what
possesses people from Oregon to New York to write about the
prosecution of a Columbia woman accused of illegally taping a
single telephone conversation.

Most of the letter writers said they wanted to get something off
their chest. Just ask James Giancola, 71, a retired restaurant
owner in Las Vegas, Nev.

Giancola, a Republican, recalled seeing a Tripp-related story in
the newspaper lastmonth, so he decided to send Montanarelli a
card displaying a photograph of a little girl thumbing her nose
at the camera.

"You are going to lose this case and look like a monkey in the
process. I feel you're a disgrace to the Italian people," he
wrote.

Giancola says he feels bad for Tripp, who has been savaged for
her role in the scandal.

She blew the whistle on high-level corruption, Giancola says, and
was simply trying to protect herself. Writing the letter made him
feel better.

"God bless her," Giancola said. "She deserves a medal."

Polite beginnings

Many of the letters begin "Dear Mr. Montanarelli" and go on to
accuse him of wasting taxpayer dollars, participating in a
nationwide conspiracy and using his office for political
intimidation. One suggests that he has helped the justice system
sink "to the sewer level!" Another writer sent one page -- 30
times by fax -- with the words: "Shame, Disgust and Nauseating!"

For his part, Montanarelli says he reads every single letter and
shrugs off the criticism.

"They are addressed to me, and I read them," Montanarelli said.
"I don't expect everyone to agree with what I do. I think if they
knew me personally, they would not venture those opinions of me."

He should take heart. About 25 percent of the letters were
positive, applauding his determination.

"I am really glad you're taking her to trial and so are many
people I talk to," proclaims one letter writer from Gambrills.
"Don't let Linda Tripp squirm out of it."

Arriving in batches

The letters, faxes and e-mails from ordinary Americans have
arrived in batches.

About 40 were delivered within days of Tripp's indictment in July
on two counts of violating the state's wiretapping statute; 30
arrived after the highly publicized hearings last month on
whether prosecutors gathered their evidence without using Tripp's
immunized testimony to Independent Counsel Kenneth W. Starr.

Tripp's tape-recordings from her Columbia home exposed a sexual
relationship between Clinton and Lewinsky. The tapes led to
Clinton's impeachment in December 1998.

Others involved in the case have also received piles of mail.

Legal advice for lawyer

Tripp's Web site (www.linda tripp.com) posts dozens of notes from
supporters. Her attorney, Joseph Murtha, says he has received
several letters and his client has accumulated thousands. Though
some have sought his autograph, Murtha says, most letter writers
are giving him unsolicited legal advice from across the nation.

"Some people have taken a lot of time to research the Maryland
statute," Murtha said.

But he doesn't read all of them. "If I read everything, I would
run out of time," he said.

Most experts seem surprised at the relatively small number of
letters Montanarelli has received, especially after the intense
feelings the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal generated.

"This is probably the most publicized minor crime in the last two
years," said Larry Sabato, director of the University of
Virginia's Center for Governmental studies and author of "Feeding
Frenzy," a book about how the news media cover politics.

"The people who are most anti-Clinton would naturally be inclined
to defend her," he said. "The people who were most opposed to the
impeachment process are inclined to call for her head. Linda
Tripp is arguably a central figure in all this."

Outrage to sympathy

The letter writers agreed with that assessment, saying they wrote
to Montanarelli for various reasons, ranging from outrage to
sympathy. Some even threatened to boycott Maryland to get their
way.

Dennis Lowry, 53, of Indianapolis, was so disgusted by the
prosecution that he wrote he would no longer allow members of his
Boy Scout troop to stay in Maryland when they visit Washington,
D.C., every summer.

Lowry is a Republican. His note last month begins rather
respectfully, "Mr. Montanarelli," and ends like many of the other
letters: "You and everyone involved with this spurious prosecutor
should be ashamed of yourselves. But since you are in the pocket
of the Clintons, I assume you have as little shame as they do."

To get his attention

Lowry said he wrote the letter to get Montanarelli's attention.
"There is value of someone looking at a letter that someone sat
down and wrote by hand. It also eliminates the possibility that
anyone can look at it and say it was a form letter."

Those supporting Montanarelli said they wrote for the same
reasons. David Weldon, 52, of Cragsmoor, N.Y., said he was
surprised that most of the letters were negative. "That boggles
my mind," he said.

Weldon says he supports Republican John McCain for president. He
also supports New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani in the coming
Senate race against first lady Hillary Clinton.

So, why did a Republican-leaning man write to Montanarelli?

"I just wanted to make my little input," said Weldon, a computer
programmer. "Clinton was prosecuted. No guy paid a bigger price
for getting his hand caught in the nookie-cookie jar. Linda Tripp
went to Ken Starr, did these things with an eye to her own
glory."

But no flowers

Despite the letters, Montanarelli hasn't benefited from one type
of letter that prosecutors in the O. J. Simpson case received:
notes attached to bouquet of flowers.

"Tons of flowers were -schlepped in here," said Sandi Gibbons, a
spokeswoman for the Los Angeles district attorney. "The place
looked like a funeral parlor."

But Montanarelli doesn't want his supporters, or detractors, to
send him flowers. "I don't want anything," he says. "I can't
accept gifts."

Besides flowers, Los Angeles prosecutors received hundreds, if
not thousands, of letters and phone calls from people "acting
like armchair detectives" during the Simpson trial in 1995,
Gibbons says.

Most of the Tripp letters have nothing to do with legal theory or
advice on trial tactics.

Mary Ann Owen of Pueblo, Colo., wrote after she saw a
fund-raising letter from the Linda Tripp Legal Defense Fund that
urged supporters to write to state prosecutors.

"Shame on you," Owen wrote. "You gentlemen have created a
`Vietnam' in this case, and it stinks."

Owen, a retired registered nurse, says she hoped her letter might
encourage Montanarelli to drop the case.

"I just wish he would go easy on the poor woman," she said.
"Linda is having such a hard time."

But Montanarelli says the letters and phone calls haven't
deterred him. "My duty is to do what I think is correct in each
case and not let public opinion sway me."

Originally published on Jan 22 2000

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.