</A> -Cui Bono?-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

Several key American congressmen are on board of the Aristide Foundation.
Look at its website. <http://www.fonaristide.org> ."Click on"  "What is the
Aristide Foundation for Democracy" to see
influential people who could be smeared by a successful criminal
investigation. Haitians believe some received cash.  Aristide, who
renounced his priestly Vows of Poverty in October, 1990 is now worth one
billion dollars.

Customs and DEA officials say Haiti's cocaine business is controlled by
Aristide yet no newspaper or elected representative comments upon this.
U.S. Attorney in Miami has more evidence against Aristide than was required
to extradite Noriega!!

President Clinton's brother-in-law is involved with Aristide's wife in
control of Haiti's cellular phone business. Immediately after the Clinton
invasion, in 1994, Hugh Rodham made a fortune shipping cars to Haiti, duty
free. Aristide's hand was in this.

January 13, 2000 two French tourists, along with their Haitian guide, were
killed in Jacmel They were chopped up with machetes. In Port-au-Prince four
men were "necklaced" on Autoroute Delmas, one of the main streets....and
the media reports nothing!!!

Haiti could well erupt into a major presidential campaign subject within
the next few weeks.
ARTICLE 4
~~~~~~~~~~~
Green Ammo II
~~~~~~~~~~~~
This piece appeared in the Washington Times on 14 January 2000.
Killing with a heart for the environment!  The Pentagon's latest in
reducing our ability to kill enemy armor in the future.  Combine this with
the Army's move to go it light, and you are back to the days when our
troops were fighting T34 tanks in Korea with 2.36 in bazookas. I though
they promised NOT to forget TF Smith!
By Bill Gertz and Rowan Scarborough
(both are national security reporters for The Washington Times)

Tree huggers at the Pentagon are at it again. We reported several weeks ago
how the Army ordered a massive program to replace the lead in millions of
5.56 mm bullets -- those fired by standard issue M-16 rifles -- with
tungsten filler.

Now the Army is expanding its politically correct "Green Ammo'' program
even further. Army Undersecretary Bernard Rostker directed the Army
recently to consider filling all 120 mm tank rounds with tungsten instead
of depleted uranium. Apparently, depleted uranium used in the tank-busting,
armor-piercing shells is an environmental hazard, according to the
Pentagon's environmental police.

If the conversion is approved, however, there are serious drawbacks. The
tungsten shells will have less range than those containing depleted
uranium, thus nullifying a key advantage for U.S. ground forces. During the
1991 Persian Gulf war, depleted uranium tank shells gave U.S. forces a
decisive advantage over Iraqi tanks. That advantage could be lost under the
conversion plan for an environmentally safe battlefield.

We're told by officials who oppose the idea that in addition to the
decreased range, tungsten-filled tank rounds also pose another national
security risk, one we highlighted earlier: The United States has no
reserves of the material and currently has to buy what it uses from China.

Expect members of the Senate Armed Services Committee to question Mr.
Rostker about putting environmental concerns before war-fighting skills
when he appears later this year before the panel.

The Pentagon announced yesterday that Defense Secretary William S. Cohen is
recommending Mr.Rostker for the post of undersecretary of defense for
personnel and readiness, the top policy-maker in charge of making sure U.S.
troops can do their job: fight and win the nation's wars, whether
environmentally safe or not.

ARTICLE 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zero Defects - A Defect Itself
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The older generation HAS to share lessons learned so the younger generation
can learn more without having to make the same errors.  That's how we grow.
Unfortunately, Zero Defects is alive and well in today's military -
stifling growth and pushing young leaders to pursue careers on the outside.
By M. M. Dupré

 "Zero Defects" first became an Army-wide policy in the early 1960s as an
outgrowth of the philosophy at IBM.  As a goal, it was a wonderful idea to
strive for perfection, make no dumb errors, to do no stupid things.  The
execution of that ideal became a nightmare.

A number of budding careers were ruined by simple, honest mistakes made in
training and peacetime administration.  Unfortunately, the same thing is
happening again.

A part of the informal education process for any young troop is finding out
what works and what doesn't.  Junior leaders have to make mistakes to learn
from them.  Just as children make and learn from mistakes, leaders need the
space and time to learn the tricks of their chosen trades.

If the learning process is hobbled by an atmosphere of "make no mistakes or
you're history," our young leaders will not learn anything.  If people are
afraid of doing anything for fear of doing something wrong, they will do as
little as possible.

I thank my many mentors and unofficial educators for allowing me to make my
share of errors.  I had a battalion commander who would ask during an
after-action review, "Well, did you learn anything?"

I as a company commander, training my infantrymen to prosecute combat in as
nasty a fashion as possible, would reply red-faced (when the Aggressor
forces soundly trounced me), "Yes."  He would then wave his hand in
forgiveness and say evenly, "Go ye forth and sin some more."

Mark Twain said, "A man who carries a cat by the tail gets a lesson he can
learn in no other fashion."  I had to carry my "cat by the tail" to learn
why you don't do things that way.  And I tried to never make the same
mistake again.

Zero Defects is bad for all levels of leadership.  Firstly, it discourages
initiative.  As pointed out earlier, people who are afraid of doing
something for fear of doing something wrong will do as little as possible.

Part of the past strength of our services has been in the American ability
to improvise, to "think on our feet."  Part of the weakness of the old
Soviet forces was the inability to be flexible.  Flexibility and initiative
are part of our doctrine.

Secondly, it does not promote growth for anyone.  Change is inevitable in
our society and, thus in our military.  Pain is optional.  It is much
better to have a strong, well-tried chain of confident, almost cocky
leaders down to the most junior level.  A group of automatons who "check
the block" is not the force that wins.

Thirdly, it encourages micromanagement.  The older leaders will run the
junior leaders into the ground and out of the service, just when we need
them the most.  As our forces shrink ever more, the need is critical for
innovative and confident leaders.  The trust has to be there to give the
junior the mission and let him succeed or fail, based on his own merits and
skills.

The Vietnam days of "squad leader in the sky" ruined several generations of
NCOs and officers.  Just when we got our pride back from Desert Storm, Zero
Defects kicked in again.

And lastly, it does not leave behind a generation of younger leaders when
the older ones leave the service.  Part of the duty of the older leaders is
to ensure that the generation coming behind is fit to lead, better than the
older ones.  As the times change, the requirements for leading men and
women will change.  Our commanders and leaders need to be able to handle
that change.

Don't we have enough problems with force reduction, budget cuts, increased
OPTEMPO, lack of resources, and plunging morale without adding more fuel to
the fire?  The force we have now is comparable to what was left after The
Great War in 1919.  Most of us are historically astute enough to realize
that as long as man is on this planet, there will be conflict.  It is our
nature, unfortunately.

We are a nation envied by the rest of the world.  Many others would love
dearly to see us fall and would contribute to that fall if they felt they
could get away with it.  The preventive is our military service.

A large standing army is not in the best interests of the country.  A
superbly trained, well-equipped, ready cadre force is the key to being able
to fend off attackers.  This cadre will train the enlarged force when it is
needed.  If that cadre force is not there, who will train and lead our
military shield when the next conflict comes?

Widen the parameters of learning.  Allow the juniors to make their share of
fair mistakes. That's the way they learn and become senior leaders.
ARTICLE 6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Consideration for Others vs. Combat Training
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The man is right.  What are our real priorities here? While in Washington
the big issues are covered-up, in our units, priorities are shifted to
please policy makers. Considerations for others, safety inspections and
flashy briefings take precedence over deployment preparations and honing of
combat skills. I believe the NCO - I served close to him!
By a Concerned Non-Com

Just read your piece in VOTG and I agree fully. I am currently stationed at
Ft.…….. I have never seen so much paperwork that has to be completed just
to go on leave. I think that in completing the DA 31s and the other
required documents, my shop of 5 people killed at least 1 tree.

We have micromanaged and force protected so much that it's absolutely
ridiculous. In planning to complete any mission, I need to take into
account that I will lose at least 1 hour of an 8 hour work day in order to
fulfill all the force protection/micromanagement requirements imposed on us
by senior leadership.

 I won't even begin to go into all the dog and pony show crap that ……has
been going through while preparing for our deployment.

I do have one more thing to pass on to you. The post has put up signs at
all the gates with the 'Consideration of Others' word of the month on them.
This month's word is family. A fellow NCO thought of posting a note on the
sign saying hypocrites.

Myself, I think that we should be spending our valuable money on something
important such as training or improvements to soldiers living conditions
instead.

ARTICLE 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Female Marine Response - We're not all Flakes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reader response to Hack's piece on "Private Flake." The female Marine NCO
definitely points out that we must look at the women issues with an open
mind.  Many women perform a valuable mission and free up male troops to
serve in the combat arms.  The true women troopers clearly recognize the
dangers of "gender-norming," reduced standards and limitations of women in
combat.
By a female Marine Noncommissioned Officer

I am writing this letter as a personal response to an article, written by
you, given to me by a male Marine.  The article dealt with women in the
military and specifically focused on single mothers.

While I agree with you in the fact that there are currently numerous
problems with women in the military I must differ with you on a few points.
The description of the young female (purple nails and lips, inappropriate
hair and constant whining) unfortunately is more the norm amongst junior
enlisted females than I would like to openly admit.  The fact that the
majority of these females are allowed to use children, female issues, and
just plain belly-aching to get out of work and deployments is not only
disheartening to people such as yourself, but infuriates Career
Level/Oriented females as well.

I have spent the past 15 years in the United States Marine Corps.  I am a
single mother (via divorce) of two wonderful boys and am currently on a 7
month UDP in Okinawa.  Upon the birth of my first child, while I was still
married to another Active Duty Marine, I was required to not only have a
child care plan, but was also required to sign documentation that my child
would not prevent me from deploying.  I did this freely.  All women who are
on active duty are given the option within the first 30-60 days of
pregnancy to elect to remain on Active Duty or to process out with
continued child care through the first "well-baby" check.

You see Mr. Hackworth, although I fit the category you were talking about
(single parent) I am not a 17 year old child.  I am an adult female who has
a career.  I recently was a participant in a discussion group with fellow
females of my same rank (Gunnery Sergeant) and some representatives from
Washington DC (I leave it to you to decipher who I am referring to).  The
consensus amongst all of us, much to the surprise of the female in front of
 us, was the following:

(a)  We did not enter the Marine Corps to be men; (b)  We enjoy our support
role and would like to maintain it; (c)  We are being forced into a hole
that we did not choose by individuals who have NEVER worn a military
uniform; (d)  Women DO NOT belong in combat.

Mr. Hackworth, women who have done a job in the military for more than 10
years enjoy their position.  Most do not feel that we belong in a fox hole.
I, for one, believe that women do not belong in any job unless it can be
TRULY fair across the board.  A few examples.  Every ship should be
configured for females before we put ANY on them.  If we are going to allow
women on Embassy Duty we need to allow them at ALL Embassies not just a
few. Wanting to be equal is all fine but we really are not equal.  We have
simply pacified the women of Washington and increased a negative reputation
with most males in the military.

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,