</A> -Cui Bono?-

[I'm sure glad I use my ISP's buffer for my email, i.e., Pine and
Elm.  Not only don't I have to wait to down load my incoming
mail, but now THIS!  --MS]

Monday, November 15, 1999 Published at 11:00 GMT

E-mail security bubble bursts

Just viewing the e-mail activates the virus

A dangerous new type of e-mail virus emerged on Tuesday which
reveals the potential to wreak havoc on computers by simply
looking at an e-mail.  The virus is called BubbleBoy and was
e-mailed to researchers at Network Associates, a US computer
security company.

"This ushers in the next evolution in viruses. It breaks one of
the long-standing rules that you have to open an e-mail
attachment to become infected," said Network Associates spokesman
Sal Viveros. "That's all changed now."

The researchers believed its threat is so serious that they
notified the FBI, said Vincent Gullotto, director of the
company's virus detection team. "This could be a watershed," he
said.

Financial implications

Graham Cluley of Sophos Antivirus told BBC News Online:
"BubbleBoy does not have a deliberate destructive payload but
does e-mail itself to everyone in your address book.

"The Melissa virus only mailed the first 50 addresses and that
traffic caused some companies to shut down their servers, losing
business and real money."

Bubbleboy is not yet "in the wild" but it shows how easily a more
destructive virus, which steals personal information or erases a
hard disk, could enter a computer.

Mr Cluley said that if people had not patched Internet Explorer
security holes or did not have up-to-date antivirus software,
then BubbleBoy was unstoppable - if you see the e-mail in your
inbox, then you are already infected.

Antivirus companies have been rushing to post upgrades to their
software on their websites.

Don't even look

The virus affects computers running Microsoft's Windows 98, the
web browser Internet Explorer 5.0 and the e-mail programs Outlook
or Outlook Express.  Some versions of Windows 95 are also
affected but not Windows NT or Netscape programs.

Bubbleboy only requires that the e-mail be previewed on the inbox
screen. As soon as this is done the virus infects the computer.

This happens because Outlook, and other programs like Eudora,
convert any HTML code into formatted text. This action allows
other code to be run, in this case releasing the virus.

The HTML conversion should not allow a virus to enter but two
security holes in Internet Explorer, known since August, left a
door open for hackers.

Microsoft "goof"

Mr Cluley said: "Microsoft has seriously goofed up again."

He said people should plug the holes with a Microsoft patch
available on the web. They could then continue using MS software
but avoid future exploitation of these holes by hackers,

A more straightforward way of avoiding BubbleBoy is to set
Internet Explorer's security to High for the internet zone.

Bubbleboy is named after an episode of US comedy show Seinfeld
and is just five kbytes in size. The email carrying it has the
subject text "BubbleBoy is back!"

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.