</A> -Cui Bono?-

http://www.accesswaco.com/auto/feed/news/local/2000/01/28/949107772.08003.4415.0429.html

Artillery shells pound Coryell County ranch

                 By RICHARD L. SMITH Tribune-Herald staff writer

                 Army officials on Friday were still trying to find out why
                 several artillery shells rained down on a Coryell
                 County ranch causing damage.

                 Joan Shoaf, a resident of the tiny community of King,
                 was jolted from her bath tub Wednesday about 8:30
                 p.m. when the shells, believed to be fired from Fort
                 Hood, came crashing into her yard. King is about 9
                 miles southwest of Gatesville.

                 "I heard this terrible noise and I was on the side that it
                 hit," said Shoaf. "I jumped out of the bath tub. I asked
                 my husband what the noise was. He said he saw
                 shrapnel everywhere."

                 Shoaf and her husband, Robert, said four rounds of
                 what they were told were 155 millimeter howitzer
                 shells exploded near the four houses on their ranch. A
                 155 millimeter howitzer is a cannon with a barrel
                 diameter of 155 millimeters. Robert Shoaf said Army
                 officials told him the shells were fired from 71/2 miles
                 away. That means the shells would have flown over
                 Farm-to-Market Road 116, a route from Gatesville to
                 Copperas Cove.

                 Robert Shoaf said he called 9-1-1 after the shelling
                 and that Coryell County had notified Fort Hood of the
                 incident. The 70-year-old said this was the first time
                 anything of the sort has happened.

                 The Shoafs said the shells, some landing as close as
                 100 yards from their home, caused extensive damage
                 to their ranch.

                 "It did extensive roof damage to our house and
                 cracked the foundation," Joan Shoaf said. "Of the four
                 houses, there was damage to the roof of three and
                 cracked sheet rock in one house."

                 A chandelier in her living room flew off and broke into
                 pieces, she said. Four small craters were left on the
                 property by the shells and several trees were
                 damaged by shrapnel.

                 Fort Hood officials weren't releasing details about the
                 incident Friday, saying an investigation is under way.

                 "Once we learned of this, we immediately initiated an
                 investigation into the artillery training that evening,"
                 said Lt. Col. Mary Ann Cummings, a Fort Hood
                 spokeswoman. "We sent Explosive Ordinance
                 Detection teams to the site to work with local
                 authorities and review any physical evidence."

                 Cummings said evidence was found that "leads to
                 further investigation." She said artillery firing on the
                 huge Army post has been suspended until the
                 investigation is complete.

                 Both of the Shoafs said the shelling was a scary
                 situation for the couple.

                 "I got to realizing how close to death we had come,"
                 Joan Shoaf said. "It could have blown up our house."

                 Robert Shoaf said he called 9-1-1 after the shelling.
                 Coryell Counties then notified Fort Hood of the
                 incident. The 70-year-old said this was the first time
                 anything of the sort has happened.

                 Trees apparently deflected some of the impact of the
                 shells.

                 "We would have felt the whole blast if the trees
                 weren't there," he said.

                 Army officials, some of whom flew in on a Blackhawk
                 helicopter, continued to conduct an investigation
                 Friday at the Shoaf ranch. Robert Shoaf said an Army
                 colonel flew in to apologize on behalf of "the general."

                 "But," he added, "That's not quite going to cut it."

                 Robert Shoaf said that years ago, residents of his
                 area were approached by the Army about buying their
                 land. A group of people banded together to fight the
                 Army's efforts and won.

                 "Now they're trying to take it by force," he joked.

                 Richard Smith can be reached at
                 [EMAIL PROTECTED] or at 757-5745.

--
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is