</A> -Cui Bono?-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

National Alliance of Families
For The Return of America's Missing Servicemen
World War II - Korea - Cold War - Vietnam

Dolores Alfond - 425-881-1499
Lynn O'Shea --- 718-846-4350
E-mail ---------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Site ------- http://www.nationalliance.org

Bits 'N' Pieces  January 29, 2000

BOHICA - we're not talking the book.  We are talking  the acronym.  The
Department of Defense and DPMO are planning to do it to the POW/MIA
families
, again.

In December 1998, the National Alliance of Families was provided with a
set
of briefing slides outlining the long term plans of DPMO.  We first
mentioned this in the February 5th, 1999 edition of Bits 'n' Pieces.
Notably absent, at year 2004, is any funding for the Joint Task Force -
Full
Accounting (JTF-FA.)

Folks, those are the guys that, in DPMO's own words "conducts
operations, to
include, analysis, investigations, archival researh, and recovry of
remains.
" Quite simply, no JTF-FA,  more information, and no more remains
recoveries
. This impacts our World War II - Korean And Cold War - Vietnam - and
Gulf
War families and the overall POW/MIA issue..

Our fears were again confirmed, by a statement contained on page 4 of a
DPMO
booklet titled "POW/MIA Accounting," dated 1999.   The statement, under
the
caption "VISION" reads; "By the end of the year 2004, we will have moved
from the way the US government conducts the business of recovery and
accounting to an active program of loss prevention, immediate rescues,
and
rapid post-hostility accounting."

There it is folks, in black and white, in DPMO's own words "By the end
of
the year 2004, we will have moved from the way the US government
conducts
the business of recovery and accounting to an active program of loss
prevention, immediate rescues, and rapid post-hostility accounting."

The government is planning to go from what they consider their active
mode
to a passive mode.  This means investigations will be made only if
Vietnam,
North Korea, China, or Russia decide to provide information.  Since all
of
the nations cited continue to withhold information, what makes anyone
think
that they will decide to provide information when we stop asking?

We were further disturbed by the contents of the January 14th, 2000 DPMO
Weekly Update describing an  "Extensive Study" that "Addresses Recovery
and
Accounting."  The update reads; " The Defense POW/Missing Personnel
Office
has initiated a broad study to examine the worldwide mission of POW/MIA
personnel recovery and accounting."

"The Department of Defense is charged by law with responsibility for
policy
and oversight of the full range of recovery activity, from pre-combat
training, to combat search and rescue to remains recovery.  In light of
the
evolving missions of the Department of Defense, this effort will help
ensure
that the most effective use possible is made of DoD resources."

"The analysis, called the Mission Area Analysis (MAA), is to help
implement
the best use of money, resources and technology across the wide range of
DoD's responsibilities in personnel recovery and accounting."   [Our
comment
: this means JTF-FA.]

"It will examine the entire range of personnel recovery, to include
diplomatic, military, and other means of recovering isolated personnel.
The
examination will address recovery operations throughout the spectrum of
conflict from small-scale contingencies to major theater war and
peacetime
operations, both at a tactical and strategic level."

"The study will analyze the forces dedicated to personnel recovery as
well
as the structure of the organizations which carry out this mission."

"It will identify deficiencies and pinpoint where any changes are
necessary
in doctrine, policy, organization or technology.  Interagency
coordination
(between the military and other branches of this government, and other
nations) is a critical element of effective planning for personnel
recovery,
and the MAA will examine all aspects of this coordination process."

"In the area of personnel accounting and remains recovery the MAA will
analyze all facets of this mission from operational activities to
diplomatic
effort to achieve the fullest possible accounting of past and future
unaccounted-for Americans."

"It will look closely at the missions and structure and budgets of the
Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office; the U.S. Army Central
Identification
Laboratory Hawaii; the U.S. Army Casualty and Memorial Affairs
Operations
Center; the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory; the U.S. Air
Force
Life Sciences Equipment Laboratory; and the Joint Task Force-Full
Accounting
; and highlight areas where the Department can most effectively employ
its
resources to better accomplish the mission."

"The study began in late 1999 and is scheduled for completion in late
2000."
##################

It is our opinion that this study will eventually provide the
justification
to end POW/MIA investigations, as we know them.  While we have never
been
happy with the methods used to investigate and resolve POW/MIA cases, we
can
not allow DPMO to shift their methods of operations when so much more
needs
to be done.

The U.S. government has mishandled the POW/MIA issue since 1945.  We
left
men in North Korea, China, the former Soviet Union, Vietnam, Laos and
Cambodia.  We mishandled every opportunity to gain information and gave
away
everything in our grab bag of incentives.  These incentives, such as aid
and
trade, may have gained us our live POWs or valuable information on the
fate
of others..

Unless major effort is put forth between now and 2004, many known POWs
and
last known alive cases will remain forever, unresolved.

Are we prepared to allow the United States government, represented by
DPMO,
to complete the abandonment of men like Charles Shelton, David Hrdlicka,
Roger Dumas, Richard Deseautels, John McDonnell and the others like
them?
################

What about John McDonnell - In the September 11th, 1999 edition of Bits
Pieces we carefully outlined the facts leading to the inescapable
conclusion
that John McDonnell was alive in a Ba To prison camp, in late February
1973.
 He was alive, folks!  When the freedom birds were leaving Hanoi, John
McDonnell was still in the jungles of Vietnam and, he wasn't alone.
DPMO
has labeled all the sightings of McDonnell as fabrications. They
aren't.

Are we prepared to allow the USG to complete the abandonment of John
McDonnell?  We're not done with this case.  We've found other
information
that may correlate to this case.  We've also found one live sighting
that
if not related to John McDonnell is a coincidence beyond statical
probability..  Yet, DPMO refuses to request access to, or locate, the
witnesses who saw and spoke with John McDonnell, at Ba To.
##################

Time Is Running Out -  What are we going to do?  We could rant and rave,
and
 provide you with  a list of officials to contact, to express our
concerns.
Quite frankly, a handful of letters isn't going to do it.  We need a
massive
movement and we need to know who is willing to stand by our POW/MIAs
from
Korea, Cold War, Vietnam and the Gulf War (Let's not forget Scott
Speicher.)

Bits 'N' Pieces has a direct distribution e-mail list of close to 1,000.
This number is in addition to our fax distributions.  In addition to our
direct distribution many of our recipients forward "Bits" on through
their
own lists.  We reach a lot of individuals and organizations.

We need each and every one of you to help.  this is what we are going to
do.
 If you WANT TO HELP, we ask that you contact us by email at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  note in the subject line I want to help!  You
can
also contact us by fax at either 425-881-1499 or 718-846-4350 and say;
Want To Help.

We will get back to you with the outlines of the appropriate letters,
and a
list of addresses to send your letters.

Remember, DPMO reads Bits 'N' Pieces.  They know exactly what we hope to
do.
 If they receive 200 or 300 letters, they will write the whole thing
off, as
a nuisance.   We need to bury them!  We need to make our voices heard!

If we can't mount this last ditch effort to insure ongoing
investigations,
we all better get used to the idea that the governments' active
participation in POW/MIA investigation will end in 2004, and perhaps
sooner.

It's up to you!
#################

Clarification -  What we are doing should in no way be interpreted as an
effort to save DPMO, as it currently operates.   Their handling of the
POW/MIA issue is a disgrace.  Our efforts are to simply insure that
investigations continue without a time limit, until each case is
truthfully
resolved.  In our opinion, this means reopening many of the so called
resolved cases.

There should be no time limit on finding the truth.
##################

Speaking of the truth - The following also appeared in the DPMO weekly
update of January 14th "Since the end of the Vietnam War, the remains of
552
servicemen have been recovered, identified and returned to their
families
for burial with full military honors."

The remains of 552 servicemen, recovered, identified and returned to
their
families....  Not by our count.... The following servicemen were NOT
recovered, NOT identified and NOT returned to their families for
burial....
James Preston, William L. Madison; Kenneth D. McKenney;  Lavern G.
Reilly;
Marshall L. Tapp; George W. Thompson; James E. Williams;  Jacob Mercer;
Richard Nyhof; Robert Wilson;  Leon A. Hunt; Larry J. Newman; Paul F.
Gilbert; Stanley Lehrke; Robert Harrison; Donald H. Klinke; Richard M.
Cole;
Gerald F. Ayres; Charles Rowley; Ronnie Hensley; Robert Ireland; Stephen
Harris; Donald Lint; William Brooks; Charles B. Davis; Donald G. Fisher;
John C. Towle; Thomas Adachi; Peter Matthes; Joseph Matejov, Dale
Brandenburg, and Todd Melton.  Yet, all are included in the number 522

This list was compiled off the top of our heads.  There are others.
This
list does not include the 1/2 tooth identification of Peter Cressman, or
the
one and two teeth id's of Mark Danielson, Robert Simmons or others..

Nor did we include the crew of Specter 17,  Thomas Hart, Rollie Reaid;
George D. MacDonald; John Winningham; Francis Walsh; James R. Fuller;
Robert
T. Elliott; Robert L. Liles; Harry Lagerwall; Paul Meder; Delma Dickens;
Stanley Kroboth; Charles Fenter.  Of the thirteen "identifications" only
two
were based on acceptable scientific practices.  Through court action,
the
Defense Department, rescinded the identification of Tom Hart and George
MacDonald.  Yet, all are included in the number of 522.
#################

Why does Johnnie Webb still have a job.
#################

There Ought To Be A Law -- It is criminal that the goal of a truthful
accounting of our POW/MIAs has been perverted in an effort ot remove as
many
names from the list as fast as possible.  Identifications that would be
laughted our of a courtroom are routinely forced upon our POW/MIA
families.
Why is CIL-HI allowed to apply a lower standard to the identification of
missing serviceman ?

There ought to be a law -- OPPS!

There was a law.
What happened to it, or
should we say WHO happened to it.
##################

How good was U.S. Intelligence on POWs - On April 15th ,1969 the CIA
distributed a memo titled "American Prisoners in Darlac Province."
According to the document; "In May 1968, three Americans - two men and
one
woman - were held by the Viet Cong in a detention camp in the area of
the
Chu Kina jungle (BP 47000)  Phouc An District, Darlac Province.  The
woman
appeared ill.  The Americans were moved from the camp after 15 days, and
according to gossip they were being transferred to North Vietnam. It was
later rumored that the American woman had died after approximately 90
days
while traveling north and buried on the trail.  The two men were said to
be
well and had continued north.  These were the only Americans seen at the
Darlac detention camp."

The Field Comment reads:  "three Americans captured by the V C  in Ban
Me
Thuot during the 1968 Tet Offensive: Michael Benge USAID New Life
Development administrator, Henry Blood, a Protestant missionary, Susan
Olsen
, a nurse."

Our good friend, Mike Benge, came home during Operation Homecoming in
1973.
We asked his comments on the accuracy of this report.  He stated; "The
report is partially correct.  Yes, we were held at that location  at
that
time.  However, Henry (Hank) Blood died July 4 at another camp and
Betty
Olsen lasted until late October and died on the Cambodian border."

This is another example of accurate source reporting.  He reported what
he
knew as fact, the location of the camp and the fact that three Americans
were there for 15 days.  Then he reported what he heard as gossip.  We
are
fortunate to be able to confirm details of this report with Mike Benge.

However, had Mike not been among the returnees, would the air
conditioned
anaylists have labeled this report a fabrication?   Had we not had other
reports on Benge, Blood and Olsen, would they have stated that the
correlation was in error?  That's the pattern.   Any report of live
POWs,
who did not return and can not be correlated to a returnee, is labeled a
fabrication.
##################

National Alliance of Families Eleventh Annual Forum is scheduled for
June
22th - 24th, 2000,  at the Wyndham Hotel, Washington D.C.  (Same as last
year.)   Room rates are $105.00 per night.  For reservations call
202-775-
0800.   Contributions are needed to finance our forum.  Donations may be
mailed to:

 National Alliance of Families
 P.O. Box 40327
Bellevue, WA.  98015.

Remember All Contributions Are Tax Deductible.

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,