</A> -Cui Bono?-

"Prudence L. Kuhn" wrote:

> There are other descriptions of manna. In commemoration of the Deucalion
> flood, the people of Athens observed a feast in th month of Anthesterion,
> which is a spring month; the feast ws called Anthesteria.  On the thirteenth
> of the month, the main day of the feast, honey and flour were poured into a
> fissure in the earth as a sacrifice.
>
> The date of this ceremony--the thirteenth day of Anthesterion in the
> spring--is revealing if we remember what was said in the section entitled
> "13".  It was on the thirteenth day of the spring month (Aviv) that the great
> planetary contact occurred which preceded by a few hours the Exodus of the
> Israelites from Egypt.
>
> The offering of honey and flour as the main ceremony of the feast is also
> revealing if we recollect that manna, or heavenly corn, tasting like honey,
> fell on the earth after the contact of the earth with a celestial body."

Sounds like something described in Immanuel Velikovsky's "Worlds in
Collision", but much more 'hard to swallow', IMO. So are you saying that
you believe manna is some "heavenly corn, tasting like honey," that "fell
on the earth after the contact of the earth with a celestial body"? Let me
guess, this 'celestial body' was not Venus as Velikovsky assumes; rather it
was something much more like a giant, intergalactic Honey Corn Pop that
shred and rained down bit's and pieces of breakfast cereal from the heavens
to earth each morning while it slowly passed? As for myself, I'll stick
with Occam's Razor and the shroom theory. As the page I posted noted: Even
if psilocybe mushrooms are not manna the similarities have indicated
mushrooms as a possible candidate, and they certainly fit the bill for a
"spiritual food".

> Something falling from heaven is entirely different than something springing
> from the earth.  The Israelites just couldn't have been so stupid they could
> not tell that difference.   Prudy

The shrooms would sprout up overnight, seemingly out of nowhere. Most
importantly, unlike all other growing plants in the world, this fungus had
no roots or seed -- something which must have mystified and perplexed the
wandering tribe. Remember, they came from an arid land and it is certainly
possible that most of them had never seen a mushroom growing before, until
their 40-year wandering took them to a region where the mushrooms grew (and
eventually outside to another arid region where they no longer grew, thus
no more manna for the Israelites). Is it not possible that "falling from
heaven" is used metaphorically to describe this process, and smooth over
their confusion as to how and why the mushrooms would sprout up overnight,
seemingly out of nowhere. A mystical food that allowed seemingly direct
'communion' with God. Mushrooms were also seen as 'winged' creatures, or
crowned by a cloudy cap or 'halo,' each carrying a 'message' from God in
heaven, the very definition of an 'Angel'. John M. Allegro's book "The
Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A Study of the Nature and Origins of
Christianity within the Fertility Cults of the Ancient Near East" (1970)
has much scholarly info revealing human religion was built upon
psychoactive plants, especially Christianity. In effect, according the
Allegro, Christianity was the esoteric disguise of a secret mushroom cult
whose original content was eventually forgotten.

One of the more compelling tid bits that recently turned me on to the
mushroom theory with regards to the origins of religion and secret
societies is from James Arthur's "Mushrooms & Mankind", which I quoted
several weeks ago:

"Revealing the secrets of Entheogens, which is one of the most closely
guarded secrets of Freemasonry (as well as many other secret societies) is
something that can only be done by a layman (non-member). This is because
if you have initiation at that level you could not discuss it any further.
Secret Societies are called Secret Societies because they keep certain
secrets. I have spoken personally with High Priests and Bishops (Secret
Society Initiates), who simply told me that they could NOT discuss anything
with me because of their oaths of secrecy. In fact they were so blown away
that I knew the information, that it scared the hell out of them.
Entheogens, and particularly the Amanita muscaria, are a HUGE secret. The
initiatory rites, into this particular field, are so far up the totem pole
of secret societies and religions that when you find those who know, they
really freak out, that anyone else knows, because it cuts to the deepest
recesses of their self perceived spirituality, and cuts to the center of
their most secret God/Society given indoctrination experiences. They have
this certain look in their eyes, and unless you somehow are perceived as a
threat to them, they invariably have the need to tell you that they DO know
what you are talking about (which is likely a violation of oath in itself),
but they CAN NOT discuss it further. This has left me not only feeling
dis-enfranchised but sometimes pretty upset. Which has led to some severe,
yet moderated, chastisement from me. Actually, I have nothing against any
of those initiates that I have spoken with, personally (including those
that knew about it), but secrecy itself is a problem of high proportional
magnitude, in regards to the reason this world is in the state which it is
in.

"In my opinion, the oaths and secret combinations are the basis for that
which is fanatical, control oriented and destructive. The secretive vows
are one of the biggest reasons that society has degraded. Supposed truth
should be given to all for open debate. It is in this way, evolution is
enhanced instead of inhibited. The secret societies strive to acquire
information, technology, etc., and then hoard it for themselves. They then
systematically destroy all public remnants of it, so they can keep it
exclusive. This is a major problem for the world, it's like the Christians
burning the libraries of the east (after pillaging what they wanted) in an
attempt to erase the knowledge (and history) from the public domain
forever. This secrecy is an abomination that makes the rest of the world
desolate. Just as in the case of religion, where the revealing of the truth
would relinquish the churches (and their authorities) of their power over
people, so too would the governments and secret societies lose their power,
were the truth to be revealed, and those formerly oppressed humans would
not take it lightly that their lives have been manipulated through the
false morals and dogma of Fascism."

--
see also:
Franco Fabbro's site with mosaics from the Basilica of Aquileia:

[image] Part of the Aquileian mosaic showing the basket with mushrooms.
There are at least eight exemplars with dark red caps and typical
characteristics of the type Amanita muscaria. Since these mushrooms are
contained in a basket some scholars [8] suggest that this is a hint for
their use during ceremonies as edible substances and not as mere ornamental
patterns.

...In the 4th century A.D. the mosaic floor of the northern hall was
completely covered by the pavement of a new church and only after about
1,500 years, at the beginning of the present century, were the mosaics of
the first Christian church in Aquileia unveiled again [9]. By remaining
covered for such a long time, the mosaic did not suffer from deterioration
and rehandlings by other artists, thus preserving a unique iconography of
early Christianity....

--

Once more: "Of course there are those who will remain eternally skeptical,
but keep in mind that the description of manna given in the old testament