</A> -Cui Bono?-

an excerpt from:
Treason's Peace
Howard Watson Armbruster©1947
A Crossroads Press Book
Beechurst Press
New York
438 pps.  -- First/Only Edition -- Out-of Print
--[8]--
CHAPTER VIII
Republicans—Open The Door

ON OCTOBER 20, 1942, The New York Times published a sensational story about a
"sealed" gift to the Library of Congress of some nine thousand letters
comprising the files of the late Edward T. Clark, private secretary to
President Calvin Coolidge. The story attracted interest because it stated
that these files had been advertised to be sold at public auction on Oct. 28
at the Parke-Bernet Galleries in New York  City, but instead were suddenly
withdrawn from sale and presented to the nation by one Charles Kohen,
proprietor of the Hobby Shop of Washington, D. C., who had secured the files
from Clark's widow.

The Times article stated that the correspondence covered ten years, from 1923
to 1933, which period included part of the time Clark spent with President
Coolidge at the White House. It was also stated that the catalog listing of
the letters classed some of them as sensational.

What the Times article did not reveal, however, was that Edward Terry Clark,
or Ted Clark as he was known in Washington until his sudden death in 1935,
was not only personal secretary to President Coolidge until March 4, 1929,
but that immediately after that date he became Washington representative of
Drug, Inc. Clark, with the title of vice-president, was in charge of
"government relations" from then until 1933 — when Drug, Inc. was
unscrambled, and Sterling returned to its earlier status as the Farben
partner in the-patent medicine industry. Drug, Inc., it will be recalled, was
the tie-up of Sterling and the Louis K. Liggett group in 1928 which later
took in Bristol Myers, Vick, Life Savers and other large national advertisers.

    Ted Clark was, in plain English, a Washington lobbyist, main-tained at
the national capital in the interest of Farben's original postwar tie-ups in
the drug industry, which tie-ups ten years later were admitted by all
concerned (except Farben) to have been illegal from the day on which they
were first entered into. After Clark -left the President of the United States
his boss was William E. Weiss, senior vice-president and general manager of
Drug, Inc., who, some twelve years later, was to be prosecuted and fined
under a federal criminal statute, and forced out of Sterling be-cause of what
the United States Treasury termed his "undesirable" relations with I.G.
Farben in the latter's "plotting of the downfall of the United States."

The Times story also neglected to mention that in August, 1932, when Herbert
Hoover was running for reelection as President against Franklin D. Roosevelt,
his White House secretary, the late Thomas G. Joslin, went off on a vacation
and Mr. Hoover "borrowed" Ted Clark from Farben's Drug, Inc. Thus Mr. Clark
became the official secretary to the President of the United States, while
Drug, Inc., agent of Farben, continued to pay his salary as though no
interruption had occurred in his services as its Washington representative.
(And perhaps none bad.)

At the time, this incident created something of a stir. It was too much for
the New York World-Telegram's usually sweet-tempered Raymond Clapper, who
described the temporary secretary to Mr. Hoover, as a "lobbyist whose salary
was paid by Drug' Inc." Editorially the World-Telegram commented that, "the
President must be very insensitive  Much more than the vagary of Hooverian
taste is involved."

The day after the Times first published the story of the sudden decision to
get these Clark files under lock and key, the New York Herald Tribune still
further whetted the curiosity of those who knew of Clark's activities by
quoting Mr. Kohen as having said that the files included correspondence with
Col. William J. Donovan, who was Assistant Attorney General during the
Coolidge Administration; Charles D. Hilles, member and former chairman of the
Republican National Committee; and others. Also that there were letters
pertaining to South and Central American countries, and that it would be a
terrible thing if German agents got hold of them.

The description of these files printed in the Parke-Bernet catalog is
intriguing in its implications. Whoever wrote it would seem to have examined
the files carefully and to have had a deft sense of the value of spicy
historical documents:

They provide an insight into the political workings of official Washington
and much important information of a private nature on various public and
political matters .....
The correspondents are persons of note, including members of Congress,
governors of states, government officials, busi-ness men, financiers,
personal friends, politicians, and others in various walks of life. The
letters pertain to matters of government, public works, political matters,
etc. Some of the letters may be classed as sensational; they reveal the
workings of a political machine. The writers seek legislation in favor of
their business, seek appointments to positions for  friends of the Republican
party

Another folder contains correspondence between Mr. Clark and the holder of an
important office during the Coolidge Administration, and who has been
appointed by President Roosevelt to a high government office since the
outbreak of the present war
on political and private matters.

With regard to those letters referred to in the catalog as having been
written by seekers of official favors, it should be recalled here that in the
case of such "favors" as may have related to the affairs of Sterling, Bayer,
and Winthrop, these companies had clauses in their contracts which stipulated
that Farben would share in their expenses. The possibility of Farben thus
having been charged its proportionate share of Clark's salary while he was
"Acting Secretary" of the President of the United States, is not edifying.

However, to return to the story of the aborted auction of the files. Several
months after they had gone to their Congressional guardians, I had the
pleasure of meeting Mr. Kohen. His little Hobby Shop is just around the comer
from the White House, on 17th St. near Pennsylvania Avenue; its windows and
the counters and cases inside display autographed letters, historic-
documents, stamps, coins and medals. Its proprietor told me a dramatic story.

As soon as the story of the Clark files was published, fantastic things began
to happen. In one instance an imposing-looking individual came into the shop,
while two other men stationed themselves outside the door. His visitor, who
gave no name, was brief and to the point. He merely announced that he had
come to get the Clark files, and had brought with him $100,000 in cash as
purchase money. When Mr. Kohen refused this bizarre sum, his mysterious
customer denounced him as a fool, and departed with his little black bag.

Mr. Kohen had another visitor, this one a gorgeous young lady -"and I mean
gorgeous," he assured me-who came into the shop and wanted to know whether a
certain gentleman had written any of those letters to Mr. Clark. On being
told that he had, the young lady informed Mr. Kohen that she would take those
particular letters at his, Mr. Kohen's price. Again the offer was rejected.

The high point in Mr. Kohen's story was the reason he gave for donating the
files to his country. "As a veteran of the last war," he said, "I feared that
if I let the auction go through, a German agent might get the files, destroy
those which were objectional to the Nazi cause, and make use of other letters
to embarrass our present war effort."

After I first heard the story, but before I met Mr. Kohen, I suggested to
government authorities that in view of my own knowledge of Clark's
activities, an official examination should be made of this correspondence. So
far as I can learn this was not done.

That suggestion was by no means my first effort to induce official Washington
to look into the lobbying activities of Mr. Clark. In December, 1929, I had
written to the late Thaddeus H. Caraway, asking that his lobby committee
question Mr. Clark about the connection between Drug, Inc., and I.G. Farben.
I also called the Senator's attention to the fact that a few years back,
Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover had appointed what be called a Chemical
Advisory Committee to help him decide what to do about the encroachments of
I.G. Farben; and that some of the individuals who had been appointed to that
committee were under the influence of that same German combine.

With that letter I enclosed a reprint of an editorial from the publication Che
micals of May 13, 1929, entitled "Does the American Chemical Industry Need
Guts." Senator Caraway never acknowledged either the letter or the editorial.
The editorial was written by my good friend Sidney W. Dean, Sr., one of the
few writers in the chemical industry who did not hesitate to express
publicly, what was said privately by substantially all of his less robust
colleagues when the subject of Farben came up.

That reads in part as follows:

Several weeks ago. through the financial pages of the metropolitan press, it
was announced that a banking group, headed by the National City Bank of New
York, was offering $30,000,000 in guaranteed 5.5% debentures of what—the
American I.G. Chemical Corporation. This American (?) annex to the German dye
and chemical cartel-the Interessen Gemeinschaft Farbenindustrie
Aktiengesellschaft of Frankfort-on-the-Main in Germany-proposes to
manufacture in  America     such chemical and dye products as synthetic
gasoline and motor fuels, products from the hydrogenation of coal, dyestuffs,
synthetic fertilizers, artificial silks, and solvents and lacquers. While not
so stated, this new colossus with a German accent will also manufacture and
vend medi-cinals, pharmaceuticals, photographic chemicals, biological stains,
etc ......

It is an amazing program—yet the most amazing thing about it is the roster of
American business men announced as affiliated with it as executives and as
directors .....

Now, what is this $30,000,000 for? Simple enough when you stop to think it
over-for the acquisition of stocks of certain prominent American chemical
companies   already deeply attached to the I.G. by agreement or friendship or
relationship, or patent agreement, or what have you, by filaments so fine as
to be almost invisible to the general public and chemical buyer of this
country, and yet as strong as steel .....

Is there to be repetition of the cut-throat tactics existing before the War
in the battle for dye and chemical markets, not only in the United States but
in Central and South America? .....

Are we to again see the source of our explosives (for every dye laboratory is
a potential arsenal) under the dexterous thumb of gentlemen wearing honorary
degrees from Cologne or Heidelberg or Berlin?

Shall our recent discoveries in the realms of film and photographic
chemistry; in serums and stains, in pharmaceuticals, synthetics, lacquers and
solvents, be gathered into a mighty merger under the shadow of the world's
most grasping and most powerful cartel?

Dare we, realizing that mergers and trusts cannot be operated legally in this
country with foreign control, insist that the actual ownership and direction
of such new mergers as shall appear from now on in the field of chemistry and
allied industries be probed to the last proxy in the safe deposit vaults of
Wall Street or the depositaries of the I.G.?

Have the American chemists and chemical producers and dye makers and
distributors the guts, as we have so expressed it, to fight this new battle
to a finish so that we may know now and in the future into just what pockets
and just what coalitions the products of American plants and laboratories are
descending?

Have the American chemists forgotten just how and where many of the formulae
were obtained for products which have now entered world trade in competition
with Germany? No? Well, you may be assured that Germany has not.

Is it not the proper moment to erect a few tank-proof obstacles in the way of
such international merger-colossi instead of greasing their path with tears
of sorrow at our own helplessness, while decking the oncoming monopolies with
the coupons of bonds sold to American purchasers by American banking houses?

In God's name! Has the American chemical industry no guts?

Full credit for that editorial challenge to the power of Farben belongs to
Sidney Dean, but I had some small part in its inspiration and I also secured
a large number of reprints with which for some time afterward, I belabored
official Washington in a vain attempt to arouse a realization of what Farben
had already done, and proposed to do, to our national security.

As part of the story of this editorial it should be added that the** at
publication Chemicals no longer exists. It met with the sad fate  that so
frequently has been visited upon those who rushed in, in print, where the
Farben brand of angels fear to tread.

The story of Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover's Chemical Advisory
Committee goes back to 1925, when Mr. Hoover announced that he had appointed
a group of nine men, each prominent in some branch of the chemical industry,
to act as a liaison body between the industry and the Department of Commerce.

One member of that original committee was Henry Howard, vice-president of the
Grasselli Chemical Co. Later Mr. Howard's name on the committee was to assume
a very definite significance.

In December, 1926, several hundred men more or less prominent in the chemical
industry received invitations signed by Mr. Hoover which stated that he was
calling a conference in Washington at the suggestion of the Chemical Advisory
Committee in order to inform the Department as to the needs of the industry.

Being one of the elect I attended the conference and the banquet which
followed. By that time I.G. Farben -had been formed. Its gigantic proportions
were realized and the character of its early tie-ups in the American drug and
dye industries had become public. For this reason the main subject of private
discussion on the floor of the conference was Farben. And the one great
question in the minds of all present was where Mr. Hoover stood on the issue.
The answer, as far as the conference was concerned, was zero.

Mr. Hoover spoke feelingly of the wonderful service to business the
reorganized and enlarged Commerce Department was prepared to render, and of
his own determination to assist the chemical industry. However, when some of
the diners asked questions which approached the Farben issue, it was
impossible to determine from the replies what, if anything, the Federal
Government intended to do to put a stop to foreign encroachments upon the
industry.

A year later it was announced that a second conference of executives of the
chemical industry was to be called by Secretary Hoover, and this time the
engraved invitation tacitly recognized the Farben issue by stating that its
purpose was "to consider present world conditions as they affect the American
chemical industry." Meanwhile, and as a preliminary to this second
conference, it was announced that Secretary Hoover had decided to increase
the membership of his Chemical Advisory Committee with eight additional
executives, three of whom were Walter Teagle, president of Standard Oil of
New Jersey, Lammot duPont of the duPont Company and Frank A. Blair, president
of the Sterling subsidiary, Centaur Co. It had, already been announced
publicly that Standard, under Teagle's leadership, had entered into the first
of its tie-ups with Farben. The duPont relationship was recognized. And
Sterling was boasting openly of its newly gained power as Farben's American
partner in the drug industry. Blair was recognized as the most active of the
lobbyists who represented Sterling's interests at Washington, especially in
legislative matters.

So, here were four men, Teagle, duPont, Blair and Howard, serving on the
Secretary's Chemical Advisory Committee to tell him what the chemical
industry wanted done about Farben. And the companies of all of them may
appear to have been on the Farben side of the fence.

About this time, many articles were being published about the tremendous
strides the Germans were making in their attempt to draw the chemical
industries of the entire world into their sphere of influence. And not a few
of the articles had to do with Farben's new ventures in the United States.

In the New York Journal of Commerce of January 12, 1928, Department of
Commerce officials were quoted as having stated that they had no confirmation
from their representatives abroad regarding the proposed entry of I.G. Farben
into the American chemical industry, and refused to comment upon the report
that Farben was seeking to purchase American companies. The correspondent of
the journal then went on to state that there was some agitation in Washington
for legislation to combat the encroachments of the Germans, but that
Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover had expressed the opinion that 'lengthy
study of the situation would be necessary before steps could be taken' to
amend the law, and that hasty action should not be countenanced."

As events were to prove, neither hasty action nor any other kind of action
was taken, save to unlock all the legal doors and throw away the keys.

Many of us who made the trip to Washington for the second conference expected
some enlightenment, and possible encouragement, on the Government's attitude
towards Farben. We got the enlightenment-but not the encouragement.

Among the speakers announced were Colonel William J. Donovan, Acting Attorney
General; William T. Daugherty, Trade Commissioner of the Commerce Department
at Berlin; and Daniel J. Reagan, Commercial Attache' at Paris.

Some pointed questions had been prepared to be put to Colonel Donovan
regarding enforcement of the antitrust laws. However, that was not to be. The
open forum, which bad been scheduled, was turned into a closed shop by the
opening remarks of the chairman who announced that it had been decided to
dispense with questions from the floor because they would not be as
beneficial as questions that bad been coordinated by the Advisory Committee.

Mr. Daugherty, the Secretary's ace investigator of the German cartel, made
some interesting observations. "The cartel," said Mr. Daugherty, "when it
combines producers of varying production costs, protects the weak against the
strong" (a beautiful thought but hardly an accurate one). Mr. Daugherty went
on to say:

German dye trust officials have been considerably exercised of late by press
reports that their chemical industry calculated to consolidate for the
particular purpose of opposing -the best interests of the American chemical
industry. While it is not the purpose of this discussion to reach any
definite conclusion on this controversial issue     I can quote cer-tain
leading figures of the German dye trust who deny first that they are out to
fight the American chemical industry, and secondly that the dye trust has
bought heavily into shares of the American chemical industry.

They emphasize on the other hand that it is their wish to frame agreements
with elements in the American chemical industry and cite as proof of this at
least three German- American agreements arrived at in the past year. They
indi-cate also that further special agreements with American chem-ical and
related companies are in sight .....

Before leaving Berlin last month, I was told substantially the same thing by
Dr. Bueb, the dye trust's leading figure in that city, that if accurate
information were wanted concerning the dye trusts' plans in connection with
international tieups, either he or Dr. Bosch would welcome questions from any
reasonable American firm, association, or individual.

The dye trust's argument is of course that rationalization, begun after the
inflation period in Germany, is now being sought internationally in the
interest of lowering costs by combatting over-production, by allocating
markets, and it follows that such arrangements involve price fixing. This
effort is only in its beginning now and the future may bring forth many
significant international associations.

When Mr. Daugherty finished his address I found myself standing at the elbow
of Mr. H. Hill of Kuttroff, Pickhardt & Co. I asked him how he liked the
speech. "Very good, splendid" replied that member of Farben's American front.

Mr. Reagan's speech, in light of later events, contained some food for
thought. He quoted the head of the French dyestuff industry as saying that he
considered it the policy of the French chemical industry to promote peace by
effecting international ententes.

Colonel Donovan was the most important speaker at the conference, and his
subject, as announced, "Foreign Cartels and American Industry" gave promise
of a clear-cut statement of the attitude of the justice Department towards
I.G. Farben and the latter's American tie-ups. Stated the Colonel:

It is the belief of the Department of justice, that when a foreign monopoly,
though legal in its place of origin, comes into this country, and, by
collusion with our citizens enters into agreements here for the restraint of
trade and the enhancement of prices, those agreements are just as illegal,
and just as much subject to our laws, as they would be if the corporations
and individuals involved were creatures of our government.

This part of the talk sounded as though the Colonel was clearing the decks
for action. Thurman Arnold could not have put it stronger. A bit later,
however, he said:

So far as it presently appears, the so-called chemical entente and the
Franco-German dyestuffs agreement appear to involve no attempt to exploit
this market. In fact, we have authentic assurances that these arrangements
are not directed against this market.

Two days before the conference those of us who bad accepted the invitation
received a wire stating that Mr. Hoover would be unable to attend. His
apologies, read to the conference, expressed his regret at not being present,
and complimented the industry for having solved some of its difficulties.
"The Department of Commerce," said the absent Secretary, "is created for
service ..... We can serve only by direction of the leaders of the industry.
Therefore the industry is asked to express its needs to the Advisory Council."

It was a happy thought, we could write to Mr. Teagle or to Mr. Blair. In my
own case all doubts were removed. I declared an all-out war.

Mr. Hoover became Secretary of Commerce in 1920, when the original postwar
Republican Cabinet was installed by Warren G. Harding. His official
activities in Europe during the war, and as an adviser at the Peace
Conference, had given him much firsthand knowledge of the backstage
connections of Kaiser Wilhelm's

war machine. As Secretary of Commerce for eight years, he was to be supplied
with much additional data which pictured the pattern of I. G. Farben in all
of its many manifestations in other countries and inside the United States.

In January, 1924, Dr. Julius Klein, Director of the Bureau of Foreign and
Domestic Commerce, transmitted to Secretary Hoover a report prepared by
Thomas W. Dalahanty, of the Chemical Division, which contained a very
excellent historical sketch and chart of the German dye companies. The report
referred to the part played by the German government in the success of the
cartel; to the cartel's practice of taking out basic patents in all countries
in order to stifle others in its field; and to the dishonest practices of
dumping, bribery, deceptive labeling, and false propaganda; and the setting
up of, or control of factories in this and other countries in order to assist
the mother industry.

No one reading that report could have any doubt as to precisely what the
Germans proposed to do and would accomplish, if permitted, in the
establishment of new tie-ups, partnerships and subsidiaries, inside the
United States.

In 1927 Dr. Klein and Mr. A. Cressy Morrison, Union Carbide & Chemical Corp.,
executive, and chairman of Hoover's Chemical Advisory Committee, attended the
Economic Conference of the League of Nations as unofficial observers for the
United States. Mr. Morrison's widely published accounts of the conference
discussed at some length the so-called "Rationalization of Industry" by which
I.G. Farben, as a cartel, was alleged to reduce costs and therefore lower
prices to the consumer. Mr. Morrison was somewhat skeptical about the
usefulness of the cartel theory, and stated quite plainly that its strength
lay in its centralized control and ability to dump its products or utilize
other competitive devices to strangle its competitors. He recited one
illustration, discussed at Geneva, of the prewar activities of the German dye
cartel in a South American country, which made this vicious part of the
Farben pattern stand out in such high relief that it should have been
sufficient warning to all concerned that Farben was again erecting an
espionage machine. As Mr. Morrison described it:

In Brazil, for illustration, representatives of the German Government were
everywhere, in banks and other clerical positions, acquiring information
regarding contracts and trade relations with other countries, so that the
information might be transmitted to Germany and there acted upon by the
cartel for the benefit of German commerce.

Then, in February 1928, at the time of the Chemical Executives' conference,
the Commerce Department published a lengthy analysis of the progress of I.G.
Farben, which referred to the 1927 tie-up with Standard Oil; to its ties on
rayon with the English Courtaulds, owners of American Viscose; and with Metz,
Grasselli, and Sterling-Bayer.

Thus the record of this entire period proves conclusively that during what
Thurman Arnold later called "the era of non-enforcement of the antitrust
laws," the Government of the United States knew in ample detail what Farben
was doing in Europe and in precise detail how illegal its tie-ups were inside
the United States.

Colonel Donovan made another noteworthy contribution to the picture on May 9,
1929, after Mr. Hoover had become President and Donovan had resigned from the
justice Department. Although then in private practice, his views were
regarded as indicating what action might be expected from the Hoover
administration with regard to the financing of Farben's American I. G.
Chemical Corporation with thirty million good American dollars, which
operation, successfully consummated within a few weeks of Mr. Hoover's
inauguration as President, had incited the outspoken wrath of many men in the
industry.

The Colonel's address to a large gathering of members of some fifteen
technical associations at the annual chemical industries banquet said little
about the Farben issue, but that little was to the point. He stated that if
the United States could build plants in France and in Germany for the
production of American automobiles and machinery, then the Germans had an
equal right under the law to erect chemical plants in this country.

The loaning of American money to Farben to enable it to erect plants in the
United States, and the illegal character of the tie-ups by which Farben was
tightening its grip upon our munition industries, did not enter into the
argument.

In March 1930, Representative Wright Patman of Texas made a bitter attack
upon both the justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission for not
enforcing the antitrust laws, and gave special mention to the Standard Oil
group, to which he accused the new Attorney General, William D. Mitchell, of
turning over his office. "This" said Patman, "is because he is following
directly in the footsteps of Harry Daugherty." Patman's reference to former
Attorney General Daugherty takes us back to some of the notorious instances
of criminal malfeasance and official degradation of the Harding
Administration.

Among these shameful incidents were the indictment and trials of Daugherty
and Thomas W. Miller, former Alien Property Custodian, for conspiracy in
receiving bribes from German and Swiss interests in consideration for the
return of some $7,000,000 of German property which had been seized by A.
Mitchell Palmer and Francis Garvan. Others indicted were John T. King, former
Republican National Committeeman from Connecticut; and Jesse W. Smith, this
friend of Daugherty, who lived in the "little house with the green shutters"
had an appointment to "talk" one morning but never kept it-he was found quite
dead with a revolver in his hand and a hole in his head. King died before the
first trial of Daugherty and Miller, at which a hung jury resulted. In the
second trial Miller was convicted, but the jury failed by a single vote to
convict the former Republican Attorney General.

Regardless of the extent to which I.G. Dyes was directly involved with the
German and Swiss individuals named in these indictments, the purpose of those
who supplied the $400,000 bribe was the development of the Farben pattern.

In 1929 Francis P. Garvan brilliantly summed up, on a court record, some of
the official infamies which accompanied the beginnings of Farben's comeback
in the United States. Garvan was the most conspicuous defendant in a case whic
h was instituted during the Coolidge administration against A. Mitchell
Palmer, Garvan, and a number of others in the federal court at Boston, Mass.,
for alleged improper handling of the sale of Bosch Magneto Co., headed by
Robert Bosch, brother and close associate of Carl Bosch head of I.G. Dyes and
I.G. Farben.

The charges were made and publicized continuously from the time Palmer and
Garvan first seized and then sold the Bosch property for over $4,000,000,
under authority and instructions of President Woodrow Wilson. They
constituted the high point in the propaganda to discredit the seizure of the
properties and patents of the Germans, and to justify their return by the
Republican postwar administrations.

Among those involved was Merton E. Lewis, a lawyer who was first retained by
the Bosch interests in 1919 to attack Mr. Palmer before a Senate Committee.
Later, Mr. Lewis was made an assistant to the Attorney General to prosecute
Garvan and Palmer, and, fantastic as it may appear, his pay for this official
service again came out of Bosch funds.

Among others named by Garvan in scathing language were John Crim, former
counsel for the German Embassy who was appointed by the justice Department to
secure Garvan's indictment; along with former Attorney General Daugherty and
his notorious pals, Jesse Smith, Gaston B. Means, Thomas B. Felder, John T.
King, Thomas W. Miller and a long list of others identified by Garvan as
German agents.

Republican Senator George H. Moses was pictured as instigating Gaston Means
to "get" Garvan by fair means or foul, and as appointing Otto Kahn, partner
of Paul M. Warburg, of American I.G., as treasurer of the Republican
Committee to raise funds with which to elect Senators who would vote
favorably to Farben's interests.

Mr. Garvan's testimony, with citations from official records, was couched in
language without precedent in denouncing high government officials in a court
proceeding. Garvan, waiting for years for the opportunity, forced into one
concise record the assembly of facts which not only cleared him and the
others of wrong doing, but proved the infamy which had indicted them. He let
loose with both barrels and the result was devastating.

While Mr. Garvan was testifying relative to the Bosch Magneto case one of the
government attorneys asked:

Has anything occurred since Jan. 1, 1919, which had been the occasion of your
having a rather accurate memory with respect to the details of the Bosch
transaction?

Garvan in reply let loose a barrage of fact which completely destroyed the
case against him, and which pictured the pattern of Farben and its allies in
all of its vicious ramifications. For stark indecency there is no page in the
history of this republic which approaches the recital of shameless bribery,
brazen corruption and foul pollution of official power which Garvan, on Dec.
11, 1929, hurled into the faces of his accusers, and burned into the records,
of the case.

Incriminating his persecutors with one sordid fact after another Garvan
traced each link in the chain of official degradation straight back to Robert
and Carl Bosch, and to the latter's plan to destroy the military security of
this nation.

It is imperative to quote Garvan's testimony at some length in order that the
reader may perceive, in its full significance, how the sinister facts from
the record fit together to form the pattern of what has already happened—and
the prospect of what was yet to come. In part, Mr. Garvan's testimony was as
follows:

In answer to your question as to the refreshing of my   recollection . . . .
. I think it is probably better to state it this way: that the overpowering
fact that has illuminated my memory, has made me search every possible record
and has made me ceaselessly work night and day to ascertain the truth of the f
acts in this case, was the charge in the complaint here, signed and sworn to
by Merton E. Lewis, to the effect that when our country's darkest hour, in
April 1918, was at hand, when, as President Wilson said, we were with our
backs to the wall, that I betrayed my country and entered into a conspiracy .
. . . . to turn over this company . . . . . for less than its value. That is
a charge of treason and there has not been one word of testimony, and
furthermore there never can be one word of testimony adduced as to the truth
of that charge . . . . and then I found . . . . the following facts: that in
our files (Alien Property Custodian) on the payroll of the Ham-burg American
line for three years before the war was a man by the name of John T. King,
receiving a salary of $15,000 a year for mysterious services; that on that
payroll was Gaston B. Means; that Means had been a German spy in this country
for years and years . . . . . and then this man John T. King shows up in my
office and says he is to be appointed Alien Property Custodian . . . . . John
King told me his appoint- ment had been obtained by himself from Senator
Moses, and next we find . . . . . that be and Senator Moses had obtained the
appointment of Thomas W. Miller of Wilming-ton, Delaware.

    Then, the day after Miller is appointed . . . . I find Sena-tor Moses in
Tom Miller's office . . . . asking about the Bosch case  . . . . next, in May
1921, two months after I left the office, we find Gaston Means is put in on
the investigation of the Bosch Magneto case. I refer now to Gaston Means'
testimony in which he admits he had been a German spy for six years; that he
got $1,000 a week from Boy-ed; that he had been tried for murder in Carolina
. . . . . and he himself says that Senator Moses put him in charge of the
Bosch case . . .  then we find that they must have a lawyer to take charge
of this case, and whom do they select but John Crim, spelled English C-r-i-m
but in German K-r-i-m . . . . Who is John Crim? During the war he was counsel
for Hays, Kaufman and Lindheim, the counsel for the German Embassy, two
mem-bers of which firm I sent to State's Prison. He was counsel for Hans
Tauscher, who tried to blow up the Welland Canal, and be was counsel for the
German who tried to put bombs on ships in our harbor, and his entire war
service was that    of serving German malefactors . . . . . When the war is
over he . . . . . is put down in Washington in charge of the prosecu-tion of
the officers of the United States Government who seized German property
during the war. Thus it goes on; from that time on we find Means and Crim,
and Burns in charge of the proceedings; we find Means reporting to Jesse
Smith of Attorney General Daugherty's staff; we find Bosch now hiring another
man, Thomas Felder, who is Daugherty's ward man, who since was convicted and
is dead; Means since convicted of defrauding the United States Government and
bribing its officers . . . . . Later we find Miller convicted and sent to
Atlanta Prison for being an employe of the Germans in this country., Poor Tom
Miller, a decent clean boy ..... a beautiful clean record in the war, and
then this bunch picked him, because he was a weakling, and then corrupted him
with German funds-for what? For getting behind their movement to recover not
only the Bosch Magneto but to recover the whole six hundred millions of
German property.

Always remember that this case is only the bellwether of German propaganda.
This case was really over in 1928 ..... when they had befogged the mind of
Congress, and befogged the issue as the bill was passed which returned every
dollar of German property that had been seized during the war .....

Next they concocted the scheme of indicting me in the Chemical Foundation
case . . . .    I went down there and Mr. Crim, this counsel for the German
Embassy, counsel for Hans Tauscher, counsel for explosive bombs, counsel for
members of the bar convicted for defrauding the Government during the war,
and German spies, opened the door of the United States Grand jury room and
said, 'Please give me your books,' and I said, 'No sir, I will walk in with
them' and . . . . . when I got in I offered to waive all immunity and I asked
Mr. Crim to turn right around and explain to the Grand jury who he was and
what he was doing there and what his former record was, and how this was not
a case of the United States against Garvan, but that it was a case of Germany
against the United States, and I asked the Grand jury . . . . . to make Mr.
Crim tell them who he was and what he was doing there. And that was the last
of Crim in the Chemical Foundation case or in the Bosch case .....

Another thing that has made this thing bum into my mind . . . . is the fact
that the man who sat in at the begin-ning of these charges in 1919 (M. E.
Lewis) now is able to make this charge in this complaint under a salary of
$1,000 per month drawn from the German funds in direct viola-tion of the
Penal Law of the United States .....

America is entitled to know that the propaganda for the return of German
property which seemed to necessitate bespattering public officials . . . . .
was founded upon misstate-ment of facts and false charges, and I want to ask
that at the conclusion of this hearing Mr. Lewis stand on his feet and say
what he had in his heart and mind when he made those charges, and to ask me
any questions under the sun, because
now, at last I see him face to face .....

I wanted to prove this whole historical picture. I wanted to call Senator
Moses before you and Merton E. Lewis and Otto Heins and Robert Bosch . . . .
. and I wanted to show you how the two Bosch brothers in Germany, Robert, the
head of this concern, with his powers of attorney from twenty or fifty other
big concerns in Germany, and Carl . . . . .the head of the chemical cartel of
the world, joined forces . . . . . and show you the whole historical picture
which came to a close with the successful return of German property .....

I would like to insert in the record from Means' own testimony the fact that
he admits that Senator Moses obtained his appointment on the Bosch case; . .
.  they published across the country that a conspiracy bad been established .
. . and then came the tie-up with Hearst . . . and the great publications in
his office where you will find all the private papers of the Attorney
General's office and the Alien
 Property Custodian's office . . .

The pressure of the government of Germany which had bought Attorney General
Daugherty and Tom Miller . . . those are the things that burn this case into
my mind . . . they obtained the appointment of Mr. Lewis as Attorney General
. . . I particularly want to put into the record letters from Senator Moses,
from his office rather, Mrs. Gold to Mr. Bennett, showing his control of the
Bosch Magneto case and showing the linking of it together with the fight
against our building up the chemical industry .....

All that time the Attorney General of the United States, Daugherty, and the
Alien Property Custodian, Thomas Miller, were in the employ and pay of German
people and had $50,000 worth of U. S. Government bonds banded them and put in
their pockets by whom—Go back go back, go back—by John T. King, the $15,000
representative who died three days before he could be tried

Some of you saw the other day that Senator Moses had appointed Otto Kahn as
treasurer for the election of new Senators. You did not associate the fact
that his friend and partner, Warburg, is the head and front of the American
interest in the American Interessen Gemeinschaft, in its attempt to destroy
our chemical industry, and that there is a tariff pending in the U. S.
Senate, and that the same question is left open, and that the same Pickrell
and the same agents that worked in this case, are working around the
corridors of the Senate today. The endeavor was that Kahn would furnish the
money for the election of the Senators who would vote upon the question of
American valuation or foreign valuation. German propaganda again eating into
the vital problem of the life or death of the second greatest industry of the
country today, the chemical industry. It is never a dead issue. Peace? There
is no Peace. Always the fight goes on for the supremacy in the chemical
industry because it is the keystone to the safety of the-United States or of
any country in the world today. Your rules, your statutes, your Bosch case
are only appendages, they are only part of a great, great, struggle of
Germany to recover the position of throttling chemical development and of
domniating over the entire world the development of the chemical industry,
which is the secret of industrial prosperity and the secret of military
prosperity, and the secret of the peace and happiness and health of the
nation, that is why I put into this record a bit of the historical picture
because you will find the same bunch down in Washington, you will find
Bennett in Washington, you will find Herman Metz, you will find Pickrell, you
will find the same bunch working from the same offices, with the same sources
of money, using every contention possible to befog the minds of Congress,
which is charged with the protection of this country in its industries and in
its military equipment. That is about all I think of.

Merton E. Lewis, after an unsuccessful effort to have Garvan's entire
statement stricken from the record, began a rambling discourse on the
circumstances which he said led to his original association with the Bosch
interest, and to his later appointment as a special assistant at $10,000, a
year to prosecute the case against Garvan and Palmer. Garvan continued to
torment Lewis during the latter's attempt to explain away the charges; at one
point Garvan demanded that Lewis cross-examine him on the alleged conspiracy:

Now is the opportunity, if there is any question lurking in any man's mind,
why for God's sake, let him speak up and ask me questions . . . I don't care
how far astray or how personal or how anything else the questions are, but
ask them of me now.

Mr. Lewis apparently did not choose to ask Garvan a single question. He did
not care for the way Garvan answered questions. So Mr. Garvan, the defendant,
finally asked Mr. Lewis the prosecutor:

I understand you said that neither Attorney General Sargent, nor his
assistant. Mr. Letts, ever told you you were being paid by the Germans?

MR. LEWIS: I don't think they did at that time. I learned of it of course,
when a check came to me .....

Mr. Garvan later put into the record a letter describing how the plans for
recovering German properties were progressing. This was written by Harvey T.
Andrews, agent of the Bosch interests, in July 1922 to one of his employers
in Germany. It stated, in part:

The work entailed on my office in the disentangling of the German property
proposition has entailed profound and constant attention. Sundays, nights,
holidays and every day have been all alike since you left . . .

It appears at the present time as if I was among the few who really bad the
right angle on this matter . . . The recog-nition on the part of the
Administration of the fundamental
principles is due largely to my efforts as well as to my connections, and it
would be futile for me to attempt to explain how, where and through what
agencies I succeeded in getting it done . . . I have done all that my
thirty-five years of practical knowledge of political affairs in this country
induced me to do in order to win . . . Have a little patience and everything
will be much better than you anticipated.

This astounding document was sworn to by Mr. Garvan on Jan, 22, 1930, and was
then made a part of the record of the federal court at Boston, whereupon
Attorney General Mitchell promptly announced that the suit was dismissed
because no wrongdoing had been shown on the part of Mr. Palmer or Mr. Garvan
or any of the other officials accused in the complaint of conspiracy in the
seizure and sale of the Bosch property. If the government had won this suit
the chief beneficiaries would have been Robert Bosch and his associates. Yet
to this day, mud continues to be thrown at the memory of Francis P. Garvan on
the basis of those fake charges first made and broadcast by some of Harding's
gang.

Inevitably as the pattern is unfolded the story now goes back still
further-it goes back to the letter written in 1916 by the Bayer Company's Dr.
Hugo Schweitzer to Ambassador von Bernstorff, in which that celebrated head
of German espionage spoke of electing a President of the United States whose
party politics were more in harmony with the cause of the German dye trust.
The story goes back also to Herman A. Metz, the dyed-in-the-wool Tammany
leader and life-long Democrat who suddenly switched his allegiance to the
Republican Party.

In 1930, while Metz was explaining to the Senate Lobby his campaign
contributions to Senator King, he also gave his reasons for having deserted
the Democrats in 1919. Senator Caraway developed this in the following
testimony:

SENATOR CARAWAY: You came to Congress as a Democrat? MR. METZ: Yes Sir.

SENATOR CARAWAY: I believe you were one of the Harding Democrats? A Democrat
that supported Mr. Harding?

MR. METZ: Well, I contributed to the Harding campaign fund afterward; yes,
sir. I did not like the treatment some of the Democrats gave me.

(Metz' dislike for the treatment that some of the Democrats gave him and his
I.G. friends is understandable. So it is permissible to conclude that he
bolted the Democrats for a more sympathetic party.)

However, according to Metz his "people abroad" did not altogether approve of
his holding public office because they thought that it interfered with his
business activities; or at least so he once informed a Senate Committee.
Possibly the I.G. considered Metz more useful from the less conspicuous
vantage point as a business man and philanthropist who would be free to
contribute campaign gifts where they would do the most good.

Toward the close of the postwar decade President Herbert Hoover wrote to his
good friend, Dr. William O. Thompson, president emeritus of Ohio State
University, a plaintive discourse upon the problems confronting a chief
executive of the nation. In that letter, dated Jan. 10, 1930, President