</A> -Cui Bono?-

In a message dated 2/5/00 10:00:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > New York Post-February 4, 2000
>  >
>  > IT'S STILL THE REAGAN BOOM
>  >
>  > By LAWRENCE KUDLOW and STEPHEN MOORE
>  >
>  > THIS week America crosses one of its great economic milestones,
>  > breaking the record for the longest expansion in U.S. history.
>  > But this isn't exactly sweet vindication for Clintonomics: The
>  > politician most responsible for laying the groundwork for this
>  > prosperous era is Ronald Reagan.
>
>  Yeah, tell all the victims of 'downsizing', and all those people
>  working two and three jobs to make up for the one that moved to
>  Mexico, that we're in such an economic 'boom'....
>

>  June

This has to be the GREATEST Urban Legend of recent years.  The "economic
boom" is something that we are always being told about but like the Loch Ness
Monster it fails to register on my radar or in my experience even though I
make a thorough search for it.  I guess we could say that we are experiencing
a new "trickle up" economy where all benefits are accrued by the already rich
and powerful at the expence of those who actually do the grunt work.  But
that is something I am not equipped to investigate having to work overtime to
pay the bills. . . .

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"