</A> -Cui Bono?-

from Bushwatch 2/7/00:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/3750/bush.htm
=====

CHEERS, MUSIC MARK TEXAS'S 117TH EXECUTION
UNDER BUSH If there was any doubt about the curious
confluence of values that certain Texans hold dear, the night of
January 24 outside the Huntsville prison had one group giving an
answer. A crowd of citizens, both for and against the death penalty,
were gathered for a vigil prior to the Texas execution of convicted
killer Billy Hughes Jr. This execution marked the seventh of the
month, the 117th of George W. Bush's tenure.

            Suddenly, reports the Houston Press, when "six cheerleaders and a
makeshift marching band came
            prancing around the corner belting out 'When the Saints Come
Marching In,' it was clear that
            number 117 was not routine. In pigtails, letter sweaters and
red-pleated skirts, the fresh-faced drill
            team chanted, "We are Texas" and "Go, George, Go." As the antis
struggled to maintain their circle
            vigil, the pros turned into fans at a football game." Here is
what they shouted:

            "Fire up, fire up
            Fire up, and up
            And up and up and up!

            Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar
            All for the death penalty stand up and holler!

            P, P-O, P-O-W-E-R
            We've got power
            Woo!
            Killing power!

            The pros were saying, "We didn't do this !"

            Execute, execute, sis, boom, bah
            Lethal injection, rah, rah, rah!

            Florida oranges, Texas cactus
            We kill convicts just for practice!

            Kill 'em to the left
            Kill 'em to the right
            Here in Texas
            We kill 'em every night!

            The antis were saying, "We didn't do this !"

            We're number one, can't be number two
            If you don't agree with us, we'll kill you too

            Texas is good, Texas is great
            We kill more than any other state!

            George, George, he's our man
            If he can't kill 'em, no one can

            Who's the best on the killing scene?
            George Bush, he's a killing machine!
            He's a killing machine!
            He's a killing machine!

            A nearby scoreboard read, "George 117--Jeb 2."

            Gimme a "D"
            Gimme an "E"
            Gimme an "A"
            Gimme a "T"
            Gimme an "H"
            What's that spell?
            Death!

            Pardons are for wimps!
            Pardons are for wimps!

            A member of the group was heard to say, "Desperate times call for
desperate measures."

            Nah, nah, nah, nah
            Nah, nah, nah, nah
            Hey, hey, hey