</A> -Cui Bono?-

Pianist Strikes a Political Chord

By Philip Kennicott
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday , February 10, 2000 ; C01

The Austrian Embassy in Northwest Washington is essentially a concert
hall with offices wrapped around it, a fitting architectural metaphor
for a country whose primary exports in the past century have been
intellectual and artistic. Pianist Andras Schiff, whom the embassy had
been courting for years, was supposed to have played Bach in that hall
last night.

But then a man named Joerg Haider intervened.

And in a handwritten note to the embassy, faxed last Thursday, Schiff
canceled his concert, citing the rise of the right-wing Austrian
Freedom Party, led by Haider, to a position within the newly formed
Conservative government that was sworn in the next day. Haider, the
governor of Austria's Carinthia province, has made well-publicized
remarks about the Holocaust that are widely perceived to be
antisemitic, and his party's 20-point "Contract With Austria" includes
strong anti-immigration language that many consider demagogic and
xenophobic.

"The rise of Joerg Haider in a country whose role in the Holocaust
still
awaits clarification is more than unsettling, it's shameful and
unforgivable," Schiff wrote.

When Schiff canceled last week, reaction to Haider's election had come
mostly from the diplomatic front. But since the cancellation became
public over the weekend, a wider cultural response has developed.

The most powerful symbolic gesture came from Gerard Mortier, the
Belgian
director of Austria's Salzburg Festival. The Salzburg Festival has no
equivalent within the United States; it is not only the world's most
prestigious musical festival, but its cultural and symbolic importance
almost puts it on a par with a branch of the Austrian government.

On Monday, Mortier decided to leave the festival after this summer's
performances, a year before his contract runs out. He, too, cited the
rise of the Freedom Party as his reason for leaving, though some have
suggested that he is about to receive another major European festival
appointment and finds it convenient to leave early.

Zubin Mehta, the music director of the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra,
was drawn into the fray as well after the Israeli government recalled
its ambassador to Vienna. Mehta has expressed concern about the role
Haider will play in the new government and has said he will avoid
Austria if he sees signs of prejudice or hostility. Mehta's
wait-and-see approach is more prevalent than Schiff's immediate
reaction. Thomas Mandl, a Jewish violinist who was imprisoned at the
Nazi "show camp" of Theresienstadt (and subsequently sent to Auschwitz
and Dachau), says gestures such as Schiff's may harden Austria's
inclination to isolationism.

"So far the party program does not contain anything that we might call
devastating," said Mandl from his home in Florida. "By canceling their
concerts and other cultural things, there may be a hardening of the
whole posture of the Austrians. They feel the whole world is trying to
dictate what they should do."

While Schiff has not yet canceled upcoming engagements in Austria,
including a June concert in Vienna, he felt obliged to make a strong
statement, and quickly.

"I feel more strict about it," said Schiff from New York. "It was not a
sudden decision. I saw this situation maturing, and it did not take me
by surprise. It is not that significant a thing [for a single artist]
cancel a concert, but I felt it was my personal duty."

The Hungarian-born Schiff is especially admired for his performances of
composers from the Austrian tradition, Mozart and Schubert in
particular.

Schiff's relationship to Austria and Austrian culture is complicated.
Both of his parents, who married shortly after World War II, were
victims of the Nazis and both lost their first spouses during the
Holocaust. After the war, they returned to Hungary, where Schiff was
born. In the communist Hungary of Schiff's youth, antisemitism went
underground but was still strong enough that he felt obliged to be
quiet about his Jewish roots.

After leaving Hungary in his mid-twenties, Schiff found himself without
a passport--vital to the career of a traveling artist. The United
States
refused to give him one and so, in 1987, he was offered, and accepted,
Austrian citizenship. Although he was grateful for the gesture, his
feelings about Austria soured during his residence in Salzburg.

"I heard enough there, statements from taxi drivers, doormen, waiters,"
said Schiff, who describes his personal appearance as "more Aryan than
Hitler. These people, who are now in their twenties and thirties, they
start talking about how it is all the Jews' fault. They want to sweep
the Holocaust under the rug."

Schiff left Austria five years ago, when Haider's power was beginning
grow. He now considers Haider far more worrisome than former Austrian
president Kurt Waldheim (1986-1992), who covered up his wartime role as
an officer in a German army unit that commited atrocities in the former
Yugoslavia.

"Haider is far more dangerous than Waldheim," says Schiff. "Waldheim
was a small-time liar. Haider is an evil person--I feel this
instinctively--and he is very smart. Unfortunately, he speaks the minds
of a great many Austrians who think that same way but don't have the
courage to say so."

Schiff's cancellation took the Austrian Embassy by surprise. Austrian
cultural attache Teresa Indjein said in response: "I deeply regret,
though well understand, Andras Schiff's decision to cancel the Bach
recital at the Austrian Embassy, based on his recognition of the tragic
realities of Austria's past and his concern for the present."

On Monday afternoon, Roswitha Novak was working the phones in the
embassy's cultural department, but had reached only "H" on the list of
500 people who had planned to attend the event. The reaction of most
people mirrored that of the embassy itself: a mixture of understanding
and disappointment. There were also a few questions about the propriety
of Schiff's gesture.

Beatrice Fink, a retired professor of French literary history at the
University of Maryland, had planned to attend Schiff's recital. She
said
she understood his decision, but wondered if the embassy had been
treated fairly. "The embassy has played a strong role in highlighting
the plight of the Jews in Austria," she said, adding that she considers
the cultural staff very "educated and liberal." The embassy has
sponsored numerous projects that deal with the Holocaust, including the
presentation, with the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, of Viktor
Ullmann's opera "Der Kaiser von Atlantis." Like Mandl, Ullmann was sent
to Theresienstadt; unlike Mandl, he didn't survive.

Fink, who was born to an Austrian Jewish family that fled the Nazis in
1938, finds herself trying to balance the competing claims of Austria's
brilliant intellectual (and often very liberal) tradition and its
history of parochialism and antisemitism. Haider is not just an
Austrian
politician with David Duke's good looks and Pat Buchanan's populist
appeal; he represents an angry bloc of blue-collar workers who, despite
Austria's strong economy, fear losing jobs to the country's very large
immigrant population.

For as long as it can, the Austrian Embassy wants to stay above the
fray. "Despite the current turmoil and disruption in Austria and
beyond, I will not allow, from my point of view and within our scope,
the cultural department of the Austrian Embassy . . . to succumb to
division and polarization, because by doing so nothing positive,
valuable and
tangible can be accomplished," Indjein wrote in a statement released on
Sunday.

Schiff now finds himself in an awkward position. He feels uncomfortable
with both his Austrian citizenship and his Hungarian roots. And his
identity as a secular Jew is something that is still evolving. "I still
have a lot to discover about it," he says.

A slip of the tongue is revealing.

"I still hope this Haydn--no I mean Haider because I love Haydn--will
disappear," he says, a little bemused at himself for accidentally
mentioning Franz Joseph Haydn, the Austrian composer who, along with
Mozart, defined the classical tradition of piano music.
http://im.yahoo.com