From: Mark Keesee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

February 25, 2000
Arkansas Times
Opinion

Traces of cocaine -- the war in your pocket

By Mara Leveritt [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Readers may wonder why I can't seem to stop beating the drum
about drugs. The simple answer is that I have come to regard the
topic as this nation's most pressing civil rights issue. The War
on Drugs has led to abuses of government as severe as some of
the worst forms of segregation. It has surpassed McCarthyism in
its destructive mania.

The "cure" our government is trying to impose on problems real
and imagined is itself threatening the health of our country. We
can't build prisons fast enough. Families and neighborhoods are
being shattered. Restraints on police that were once embedded in
our laws have been systematically abandoned.

This government's drug addiction is skewing its decisions in
every corner of life. And, as with segregation and McCarthyism,
its rhetoric rises on its own noise, drowning out calmer voices
of reason and humanity.

Here's an example of how dangerously crazy life has become in
the bunkers of this war. The Arkansas Department of Correction
installs a scanning device that's sensitive enough to detect
traces of drugs on the hands of anyone trying to enter a
facility. The only problem with it, officials explain, is that
almost anyone who has handled a dollar bill has picked up traces
of cocaine, so pervasively has the powder dusted our currency.

Then we read in this week's news of the couple in Dallas who
found $300,000 on the freeway and turned it in to police. Even
though no one has claimed the money, police now say, it will not
be returned to the finders because agents of the federal Drug
Enforcement Administration found traces of cocaine on it,
declared the money drug proceeds, and confiscated it. By that
logic, one could imagine the DEA going into any retail store in
America, opening the cash drawer and confiscating its contents.
Or what about banks? What about the money in your pocket? It's
tainted with traces of cocaine. You can just about count on it.
And so is most of the money that flows around Washington.

So what are we going to do? Confiscate every dollar and lock up
every American who still occasionally uses cash? Don't laugh.
The extremes to which we have already gone would have shocked us
20 years ago.

As usual, when a mania takes control, judgment in all areas is
affected. Right now, for instance, the federal government is
fighting tooth and nail to beat back grassroots efforts to
legalize marijuana as medicine. The drug is far too dangerous,
federal officials say, even to be smoked by the terminally ill
seeking relief from pain. The feds insist years of testing are
needed before the drugs risks can be weighed against its
benefits.

At the same time, this same government is injecting an anthrax
vaccine into the arms of every member of its armed services,
despite multiple uncertainties about both the safety of the
vaccine and its effectiveness. Unlike marijuana, whose effects
-- positive and negative -- have been known for centuries, the
Pentagon's anthrax vaccine is relatively new. It has not been
widely used. And the single facility that supplies it has been
cited for numerous safety violations.

Never mind that soldiers are resigning from the armed services
rather than submit to the injections -- or that, on the other
hand, people who smoke marijuana do so of their own volition.
The government -- the true drug lord, these days-imprisons for
the use of some drugs and imposes the use of others.

Perhaps most tragically, this fixation on illegal drugs robs us
of genuine opportunities to improve in such crucial areas as
health and education. Take for example Rep. Asa Hutchinson's
upcoming visit to Northwest Arkansas, where he plans to hold a
"field hearing" about methamphetamine, now that Arkansas leads
the nation in meth labs per capita.

One wonders why he did not scramble to hold field hearings over
the results of a study just released by the AARP that citizens
of his state have the second-highest death rate in the nation
due to stroke; that its citizens are among the most uninsured in
the nation for health; and that it leads the nation in the
number of women who don't get mammograms. Hutchinson's answer to
the burgeoning methamphetamine problem is, as always, tougher
enforcement.

More laws. More police. More prisons. What a remarkable
experience it would be if, just once, a hearing were held to
examine whether there might be a relationship between Arkansas's
top-of-the-chart rates of poverty, ill education and ill health
and all those methamphetamine labs. But like the die-hard
segregationists and fiery Joe McCarthy, the demagogues of this
current hysteria stoke their cause with fear. They point to a
supposed scourge and say civil rights must be sacrificed to
repel it. I say let's hang onto our civil rights and throw out
the demagogues.

Copyright ©2000 Arkansas Times Inc.

Learn more with SmartPlanet. It's a new way of learning online.
SmartPlanet offers hundreds of courses to take on your time,
in your space. Join for FREE today!
http://click.egroups.com/1/1703/2/_/475667/_/951497336/