</A> -Cui Bono?-

SkeptiNews 000218b - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE do NOT include the ENTIRE bulletin when you reply; cut/paste, eh?
* The latest bulletin is now viewable at: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/x.htm
* No lunatic-fringe conspiratorialists were harmed to make this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Phases Of The Moon: http://www.googol.com/moon/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Here Comes the Sun, (NASA)  A "full halo" coronal mass ejection left the
  Sun yesterday, apparently headed directly for Earth. When the leading edge
  of the disturbance reaches our planet on Feb. 19 or 20, it could trigger
  aurora and other geomagnetic activity. Or it could burn us to a crisp.
  R U doomed? http://www.spacescience.com/headlines/y2000/ast18feb_1.htm

# Wild Weather Forecasts 2000-2001. Astrometeorologist predicts we're in
  for increasingly violent storms, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions over
  the next two years. http://www.altnews.com.au/nexus/ViolentWeather.html

# Stellar shockwave starts to glow - Hubble sees stellar lightshow in nearby
  galaxy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_646000/646418.stm
# Also - Hubble looks through the keyhole:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_630000/630840.stm
# Giant telescope's close-up on quasars:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_611000/611745.stm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ "Who started the <http://www.whidbey.net/~dcloud/fbns/whostarted.htm> evo-
  lutionary world view? Amazing nonsense cobbled together from a disparate
  set of prejudices. Evolution may fail the test of Scripture, but this
  fails the test of sanity. Check out the full End Times Apostasy Database
  <http://www.whidbey.net/~dcloud/fbns/indexfbns.htm> for more of the same
  (much more!). Find out if Men Are Lusting After Your Wife Or Daughter and
  how he Praises The Lord For Women Who Keep Their Hair Long. Particularly
  good is Tottooing for Jesus (sic) (I've always wanted to do that). Women
  who keep their hair long would be a great name for a band."
  [ from http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Lindsay/weblog/latest.html 18.Feb.2000 ]

@ "Is This How Sacred Symbols Are Born?" Throughout history humans have
  graced their perceptions of "reality" with graphic symbols representing
  all kinds of concepts. Many of these symbols represent spiritual or rel-
  igious ideas. The Ankh, the Cross, the Star of David, the Hebrew Tree Of
  Life, are a few of the symbols many of us are at least somewhat familiar
  with. How do these symbols develop? http://www.caus.org/cz021800.htm

: What's your favorite symbol/meme/myth/rumor/fantasy? Has your world view
evolved lately? Is your hair long? What's your favorite apostasy? Are you
now or have you ever been apostolic? Does anyone lust after you? Why not??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Gal-A-Rama:

"I wish I were [fond of history] too. I read it a little as a duty, but it
tells me nothing that does not either vex or weary me. The quarrels of popes
and kings, with wars or pestilences, in every page; the men all so good for
nothing, and hardly any women at all -- it is very tiresome." --Jane Austen

# HORMONE HERESY: The Suppression of Women.
  http://www.altnews.com.au/nexus/HormoneHeresy.html
@ GREAT WOMEN OF ASTRONOMY: http://www.physics.uc.edu/~sitko/women.html
# Honor Ordinary Women: http://news.excite.com/news/r/000218/07/odd-protest

@ Andrea Dworkin: http://www.igc.org/Womensnet/dworkin/OnlineLibrary.html
# Surrealist, feminist Varo exhibit opens in Washington: Hairy Locomotion
  a winner: http://cnn.com/2000/STYLE/arts/02/10/feminist.art.ap/index.html
# She's Too Fat To Jail: http://news.excite.com/news/r/000218/07/odd-fat

@ Hey, boys... Vampire chicks! http://www.vamperotica.com/ Robot chicks!
  http://www.robotgirls.com/ Via: http://www.memepool.com/Subject/Sex/
# 'Vagina Monologues' -- http://news.excite.com/news/uw/000211/odd-113
# POSH SPICE STRUTS CATWALK AT LONDON FASHION WEEK - did it for free:
  http://CNN.com/2000/STYLE/fashion/02/17/fashion.posh.ap/

: In a world of robotics & cloning, are men/women/humans necessary, boring,
irrelevant, obsolete? Have you been suppressed lately? Will you be soon? Are
you planning on being suppressed, cloned, roboticized, exiled, purged? When?

# Birth of first cloned pig expected soon. NEW YORK (UPI) - The company that
  created Dolly the sheep is awaiting the birth of the world's first cloned
  piglet, an important first step in creating a limitless source of organs
  for human transplantation. http://vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=64807
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# BISHOPS ASK BUSH TO HALT DEATH PENALTY EXECUTIONS. The Catholic bishops of
  Texas have asked Gov. George W. Bush to suspend the death penalty & review
  capital punishment in the state, which leads the nation in executions. "It
  is essential that if the state is going to impose the ultimate punishment
  that there be no margin of error," the bishops said in a letter to Bush.
  http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/02/17/deathpenalty.bush.ap/

: Has your belief system changed its dogmatic position on execution lately?
Do your views on execution, tolerance, humanity evolve? Can you continue to
evolve after you've been executed? Should executed prisoners be cloned???

@ The Council of Trent: http://history.hanover.edu/early/trent.htm
@ Pope Benedict IV: On Jews and Christians Living in the Same Space:
http://listserv.american.edu/catholic/church/papal/benedict.xiv/b14aquo.html
# U.S. Criticized For Racist Web Sites:
  http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cth386.htm
@ Independence For White Dominions:
  http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1936westminster.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Flaw Found in Mars Lander's Design. PASADENA, Ca. (AP) Engines controlling
  the final descent of the Mars Polar Lander may have shut off prematurely,
  sending the $165 million probe crashing to the planet's surface, according
  to a new scenario. http://news.excite.com/news/ap/000218/03/mars-lander

# Mars Polar Lander is dead - official. (BBC) The mysterious beeps thought
  to come from the stricken Mars Polar Lander were just Earth interference:
  Bummer: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_646000/646368.stm

@ Meetings with Remarkable Aliens - Jim Sparks describes his life-changing
  encounter with reptoid aliens, whose message for saving planet Earth may
  veil their true intentions. http://www.altnews.com.au/nexus/JimSparx.html

: Which aliens are responsible for the loss of the Mars Polar Lander? Will
they be made to pay for their crimes? Are they saving Mars, Earth, Venus?
>From whom? For whom? What are their true intentions? What are yours? Eh?

  "I don't see any use in spelling a word right, and never did. I mean I
   don't see any use in having a uniform and arbitrary way of spelling
   words. We might as well make all our clothes alike and cook all dishes
   alike." --Mark Twain

* Rev.R.Carter,ULC * http://skepticon.pitas.com * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringes of: Science, Faith, Sex, Dope, Art, Paranormal, Conspiracy
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm