Ever think of education as a racket? Everything I know can be taught in a small fraction of the time it took me to learn it (and my IQ is not small). Perhaps we can find "squeejee jobs" for all those bums at Harvard, MIT etc.
FWP.

-----Original Message-----
From: Franklin Wayne Poley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; The Press Gang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; The Senator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, February 10, 2000 1:01 PM
Subject: [Robot-for-President] http://www.netaid.org...How To Provide Very Low Cost Education To The World.

From: "Franklin Wayne Poley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To: John Chambers
CEO, Cisco Systems
(Please Forward)

Dear Mr. Chambers: Last night I watched your presentation on CNN Business News as you stated that the Internet expectedly will transform our institutions from government to education. I also caught Cisco's ad re <http://www.netaid.org> which is a joint Cisco-UNDP Program.
   Let me expand a little on education. As you well know, education over the Internet is growing rapidly.
In Canada, MBA degrees are leading the way. For example, Unexus MBA's can be obtained 100% by Internet and Athabasca University MBA's, 90% by Internet. Unexus tells us that a degree taken this way will cost only 1/3 of a conventional MBA. (About $25,000 vs. $75,000). It is a logical next step that one would then just take the monologues and dialogues from computer memory after these courses have been presented by human teachers and pass that record on to the next class. If they are much the same as the previous class, then their success in understanding the course material will be similar.
If students are in contact with one another by Internet while the material is being presented by robot, then they can certainly help each other to learn the small portions of the lessons where there are difficulties.
   What will an MBA then cost when it is all on a CD? Let's guess at 1/10 instead of 1/3 of conventional cost and that within a few years that could well be 1% of conventional cost. Why? Because the competition will be fierce and it will be international given the huge multi-billion dollar market. Given that this is correct, what we are witnessing must surely be the greatest breakthrough in pedagogy since the printing press. And such educational programming, affordable to everyone is very consistent with the Netaid Program.
   I don't think there is any limit to the scholarly/academic course work which can be offered by Teaching Machine. As the late BF Skinner from Harvard said, "If it can be verbalized it can be programmed." This is the main point I will be making in leading a workshop at the Alife 7 Conference this summer, http://alife7.alife.org. The tentative title is "How to make Xavier the Robot, more Lively, Learned and Lucid Than Any CMU Professor". Xavier the CMU Robot should be able to teach any scholarly/academic course at CMU.
   The key to this is the ability to make lessons very, very clear. I am working with two teachers now to provide examples of such lessons, one in C++ and the other in engineering physics. My skills in asking the necessary questions and making the correct analyses of the lessons are similar to those of many psychologists working in a variety of settings from clinical to educational.
   Now I would like to propose going a step further with this. Cisco offers an IT degree. Given that you subscribe to the stated objectives for Netaid, then let me help you to turn Cisco's IT Degree into a program which could be taught by Xavier the CMU Robot. It will then be available to people all over the world for their betterment. If you would like "proof of concept" just have a co-operative (or better yet, enthusiastic) teacher of one of your courses or a unit, work with me on turning it into a clear, plain-language lesson suitable for further instruction by Teaching Machine. We can work with any subject at any level though of course the higher the level, the more work we will have to do to "deconstruct" the material to a simple, clear, easy-to-understand format.
Sincerely-FWP.

          *** The Era of Total Automation is Now ***