-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990922d - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: Several nabobs of negativism nattered during production of this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Bombs for Beginners: http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/index.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Discoveries At Teotihuacan's Pyramid Unlock Ancient Mysteries. (SD) Some
  unexpected new discoveries in the ongoing excavation beneath the Pyramid
  of the Moon at Teotihuacan may provide critical clues in reconstructing a
  2,000-year old history still mysteriously missing from the ruins of the
  ancient master-planned metropolis, located 25 miles from current Mexico
  City. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/09/990921071513.htm

# Shuttle reveals island's secrets. (BBC) Space Shuttle technology has been
  used to uncover details of life on a Scottish island in the 12th century.
  Researchers discovered an archaeological site on the Hebridean Island of
  Islay. They found previously unknown and largely buried roads or "hollow
  ways" surrounding the island HQ of the Lords of the Isles at Finlaggan
  Castle, who were known to be the main economic, military and political
  power in the Irish Sea during the early Middle Ages. Multispectral radar:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_453000/453747.stm

: What are your favorite ancient mysteries? Are you solving them with techno
magic? Does real magic work better? Are old mysteries better than new ones?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Antarctic Lake Isolated 40 Million Years To Be Explored. Scientists are to
  explore one of the world's last uncharted natural wonders, a lake trapped
  beneath the Antarctic ice. Lake Vostok, a body of water the size of Lake
  Ontario resting more than two miles under the East Antarctic ice cap, is
  one of the world's 10 largest and one of about 80 lakes that underlie 10%
  of the Antarctic ice. It may have been isolated for millions of years,
  giving an opportunity for life to develop along a separate evolutionary
  path. Black Lagoon creatures? http://sightings.com/politics4/40mil.htm

: Would you like to have developed along a separate evolutionary path? What
would you be like? Should you be gene-modified to simulate odd evolution??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Ozone hole opens again. (BBC) The ozone hole that forms over the Antarctic
  each year between August and early October has reappeared. Observations
  made with the Total Ozone Mapping Satellite (TOMS) show that it is near
  its greatest ever extent, about 26 mln square kilometres (10 mln square
  miles). http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_454000/454514.stm

: Have your HAARP experiments contributed to ozone depletion? Was that your
intent? Do you want to fry earth life? Will we be better off dead? For who?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Universe may be newer than thought. (AP) - The celestial yardstick most
  commonly used for measuring the universe may have to be recalibrated.
  If a new astronomical analysis is correct, the universe may be expanding
  faster and be somewhat younger than currently thought. Back to the draw-
  ing board: http://infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2561273855-344

: Do you feel young again? Are the world, the galaxy, the universe, young &
fresh & vital? Is it springtime in Patagonia? Have you reset your clock yet?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Sterilised planets - Newly-discovered planets are mostly giants. (BBC)
  Could our Sun suddenly experience a so-called "superflare" on its surface
  that could wipe out all life on Earth? That is the possibility, albeit a
  remote one, that emerges from observations of nearby stars similar to our
  Sun. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_454000/454265.stm

: Are you concerned that a sunflare could wipe out all of life as we know
it? Do you look forward to this? Do you work to encourage sunflares? How?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ I wrote about my experiences of being targeted by a harassment group. I
  was struck that night by a burst of ultrasonic sound waves to the head
  after posting it to my web page. They never hit me that hard before so I
  assumed it was a warning to take down the web page. I wanted to report
  that I got hit straight between the eyes by some kind of narrow focused
  sound wave beam this morning. I happened around 3:50 am this morning. It
  was incredible. My vision went white for about 1 second and you could feel
  it strike the front of my head. The shot came from the house in the back
  of mine. It must be around a hundred feet. This targeting system works
  great, pinpoint accuracy. I guess this was my second warning to take down
  my web page. Please copy the files at my web page just in case I somehow
  disappear. This technology really works! See my web pages:
  http://members.aol.com/ultra21753/ultra.htm
  http://members.aol.com/ultra21753/sound/sound.htm

: Are you often targeted by harassment groups? Do they make you suffer much?
Do they have pinpoint accuracy? Do you just take this passively? Why? Why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Haia Ted Berk, the Venusian - "5 Feb: I dream about a cat who eats plants
in my house that increases its evolutionary potential... and we communicate
telepathically. Then holographic pictures are projected from both our brains
in weird colors onto a screen... Nov. 11: I am swimming with an ape in a
small indoor pool in a friend's apt... Dec. 15: My piano falls in love with
the man down the hall." http://www.links.net/vita/sf/haia/haia.drm.html

: Are your musical instruments unfaithful to you? Did your harmonium run off
with another guitar? What plants do your pets eat to evolve faster? Tasty??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Hell is FULL of Homosexuals! Last night at our Memorial Day Prayer Meeting
  the Lord caught me up in the Spirit & showed me visions of Heaven & Hell.
  In Hell I saw literally BILLIONS of homosexuals, digging ever deeper pits
  in the burning cinders to make room for their fellows, who fall out of the
  sky in ever greater numbers without ceasing. They writhe in torment as
  they're sodomozed by demons for all eternity. They long for even the tin-
  iest droplet of pure water to quench their overpowering thirst and to cool
  their blistered brows. Yet there's no water in hell, no rest, nor release.
  The digging of stinking, caustic, radioactive ore goes on 24 hours a day.
  The suffering sinners lose all track of time because there is no daylight
  in hell - only flame. Flesh that was once lusted after, slavered over, and
  worshipped is now burn to a crisp. The cries of the damned rise up from
  the pit every second, but are only echoed back onto those who willfully
  and deliberately said no to God and the Sacred Salvation He offereth. And
  they have hemorrhoids. http://www.visi.com/~phantos/hellmo_orig.html

: Do you have a vivid imagination? Is it focused? What do you focus on? Are
you in unconscious denial of your true nature? What do you fantasize about?

  "This crop-circle stuff must be some pretty powerful shit. And if nobody
   else wants it, I'll take it, thank you very much! This is shit I'd be
   happy to take. Fits in great with what I believe." --Twonky

* http://skepticon.da.ru (updated) * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/SkeptiNews archives: http://skeptifiles.da.ru (belated)
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *