</A> -Cui Bono?-

MAN' FALLEN NATURE

     April 1999

     by Roy Masters

     The "great white father" of psychiatry, Sigmund Freud, came very
close to basic truth, but before
     he had quite reached it, he veered off into the outer reaches of
scientific confusion. If only he had
     been able to view the facts that his searching mind uncovered by
the light of spiritual
     discernment, he might have discovered the truth about man’s nature.

     He might have discovered, for instance, that the sex drive in man
is somehow linked with and
     blossoms from a traumatic experience with a parent—long forgotten,
of course, but nevertheless
     there at the core of his being, surrounded and hidden by the
concentric growth rings of
     subsequent traumatic experiences that have blinded him to the
original violation of his human
     identity. The first trauma sets the pattern, and becomes the
nucleus for the problems that follow
     concentrically, one upon the other, until the original experience,
the nucleus itself, is lost from
     observation of the conscious mind. Notice I have said
"observation", not "memory". The
     "memory" is "synonymous" with the experience itself.

     Each emotional reaction is actually a traumatic experience for a
human being—essential for
     animal growth, but not for human development. In fact, "animal"
growth is inimical to human
     development, blunting our human perceptions at the point of
unfoldment and supplementing
     them with the brutish reasoning of an "evolving body."

     In the beginning, then, the individual encounters an original
traumatic experience that sets the
     wheel of his development in motion around an axis of emotional
"turn-on" experiences. But this
     growth pattern carries him further from his true identity, or from
the possibility of discovering that
     identity. The real identity of each of us exists as a potential not
yet realized, buried somewhere
     within us, but prevented from expressing itself and unfolding in
harmonious obedience to higher
     law, by the blocking power of emotion. Each emotional shock is
another traumatic experience,
     another step away from the calm center of true Self.

     Now, it is an established biological fact that when living
protoplasm (flesh) is exposed to stress,
     the reaction to that stress causes the body to absorb some of the
nature (identity) of that stress
     (presence) permanently. The permanent impression left on an
organism as a result of stress is
     called an "engram". In other words, some of the outside environment
gets inside the organism
     that reacts to it, makes a mark on it, and gives additional
development to that life form.
     Evolutionists would term this process adaptation and evolution. The
creature is subject to the
     impress of its environment, and it takes shape and adjusts
according to the severity and type of
     pressure that is brought to bear on it.

     Now, in what position does that place our "free moral agent" called
"man"? Certainly, he is not
     very "free", and stripped of control over the process, he cannot be
very "moral". Yet we know
     that man’s consciousness is subject to two distinct "tugs", the tug
of nature, and the counter
     tug of conscience. This tug-of-war for the carcass of man is the
basis of his soul’s unrest. As
     the pressures of environment envelop him, he becomes increasingly
obliged to obey that
     environment and dramatize its secret messages, codes, and
implications.

     We are surrounded by an environment composed not only of nature
itself, but of other people
     with precisely the same problems as our own, subject to the
environment that preceded them
     and fouled up by their forebears even as we have been by our own.
All of us dramatize the flesh
     the forces that overshadowed us, and thus our behavior becomes an
"environment" with a
     "message" to others.

     Freud recognized that all our problems begin in childhood, and that
parents are the primary
     problem producers. If we are victims of our environment, it is
because our parents are wrong,
     and we shall surely inherit some of that wrong. We are somehow
scarred at birth by what I
     would like to call an inherent error that lurks in the parent
undetected. Then the child becomes
     the parent, and the process continues. Surely this is the meaning
of "being born in sin".

     There is not one single person who does not have a crippling
problem. The entire human race is
     made up of emotional cripples who are confused, irrational, or
downright cruel. Rich or poor, and
     of whatever ethnic background, each child comes into the world
preceded by tyrants. Let’s call
     them "victim-sinners", as the word "sin" denotes a deviation, while
"victim" denotes
     helplessness. The fleshly presence of this deviation in the form of
a parent is the "ministering
     angel" that shocks the infant to change the course of its
development. In time, the child also
     grows up to be a parent, complete with the inherited defects and
the authority to relay the error
     to the next generation.

     Perhaps there is some truth to the biblical statement that man is
born in sin; that is, we are
     born subject to powers that are able to corrupt our nature and
enslave our minds to serve them
     in a meaningless existence. And the root of this process is what we
are going to examine from
     every conceivable viewpoint.

     One way to prove a theory is to start with the assumption that it
is true. If we can then arrive at
     other observable facts without contradicting our original
assumption, we may assume our theory
     to be sound. This is the course I have taken to establish one fact,
as your previous conditioning
     would undoubtedly have "turned you off", had I opened my remarks
with something like "original
     sin".

     But bear with me please. Your problems do have a place of origin.
There must have been a first
     time, at least for you. For you, it was undoubtedly the first time
someone hurt you or failed you
     in some way, and you reacted. And it was the same with your parents
and your grandparents
     and as far back as you can trace your ancestry until you finally
arrive at the "original"
     experience.

     Secondly, there must have been a weakness existing in your nature
that allowed error to cohabit
     with you—and once it did, you became weaker and the error got
stronger. It happened again and
     again, and the fault was bound to grow as long as it went
uncorrected. What you could not
     resist once, you could not resist twice, and so on. Thousands of
emotional experiences
     (temptations) later, you have a full-blown problem.

     The problem at first may appear to be a small one, but as long as
the pulse beat of (bad)
     emotional experience continues, so will impressions be left behind
in mind and flesh to manifest
     themselves in our behavior and way of life and become parents to
the next problem. In this way,
     cannibals become "good" cannibals, and communists become "good"
communists, but never
     good people.

     We become like our parents, taking upon ourselves their ways and
traditions. If our parents were
     unreasonable, then we will be too (naturally!). Of course, some
children rebel against the
     takeover of their identities—one of the greatest fears people have
is the fear of becoming like
     their parents. On the other hand, they may not admit to the
takeover (due to their weakness),
     preferring to become proud of their "good" heritage. Either way,
the impress of our parents is
     there, whether we like it or not. Men will either marry their
"mother", or a woman who is
     "apparently" the exact opposite, but the influence of "mother" is
an overriding one, making its
     mark on man born of woman.

     Observe the rebellion now going on against the "establishment". You
will see in it a pathetic
     attempt to throw off the yoke of oppression and authority. The
first authority a child knows is
     vested in its parent or guardian, and what this authority proceeds
to do to that child is impose
     its "right" and ways upon him. But if you will look closer, you
will see that that authority has no
     real identity of its own—it simply extends or projects the identity
that has been imposed upon it
     in the same way. The child’s psyche is violated by a parent whose
psyche was violated by a
     parent whose psyche was violated, ad infinitum. What I am saying is
that identity has a
     philosophy and tries to make you accept its philosophy, you will
accept the spirit behind the
     philosophy. And children simply do not know how to resist.

     As I said earlier, cannibal women have cannibal babies. What our
younger generation is
     rebelling against is this traditional imposition. And if we examine
the nature of this rebellion, we
     see two kinds of rebels. One is searching for real identity and
meaning and rebels against the
     philosophy itself. The other accepts the philosophy but rebels
against the dominant spirit behind
     that philosophy. Many are confused and lost, doing the only thing
they know how to do in a
     desperate attempt to throw off the yoke of advantage the
establishment has over them by virtue
     of having preceded them. Unconsciously, many of them sense that
their confusion might be
     dispelled if only they could destroy, remove, or overcome the
authorities. This is a short-sighted
     viewpoint, of course, but the only one they can know in their
confusion. Children react in an
     unnatural way to unnatural pressures put upon them by the unholy,
unnatural, traditional ways of
     their parents.

     If our parents were normal, and if society were normal, we could
not possible have a rebellion or
     any other such problem in our society at all. Rebellion needs some
sort of justification, and the
     justification is usually found in some injustice. We rebel against
authority because there is
     something about that authority that is just not acceptable in that
it is positively destructive to our
     identity. Yet if we examine that authority, we see that it is
vested in one who has gained that
     position simply by giving up the battle (his own prior rebellion)
along with his self-respect. The
     king is dead; long live the king.

     Such people are very guilty indeed for not living their own lives
and for their intolerance toward
     the selfhood of those who will not confirm. Every family is
composed of rebels and conformists.
     On rare occasions, we find a family composed entirely of mad or bad
ones—or of "good" ones;
     that is, all have knuckled under to pressures of the group. Every
country perpetuates its own
     form of traditional insanity, producing rebels and conformists.
This has led to the idea that Truth
     has many forms and that man makes his own brand of Truth. But what
we are observing is the
     utter impossibility of a human being’s escaping the impress of his
environment. The rebel, not
     knowing how to rebel, becomes an extension of the evil lurking in
the authority that he is
     rebelling against—on him it looks different, but it’s the same
evil. Hating evil never makes us
     good, but is surely makes us more evil.

     As he grows up under the influence of his government, each person
loses his identity. Some
     fight the parent group and break off to form new cultures complete
with their own nonsense.
     Some prefer suicide to existence as zombies; a half million people
bow out of the world by their
     own hand annually rather than exist another moment in the agony of
their conflict between
     conforming and rebelling (rebelling actually being another way of
conforming to evil).

     What we need to realize then is that each one of us is a victim of
a process, regardless of
     culture or ethnic background. Each victim of the process in turn is
obliged, unconsciously and
     compulsively, to claim the newborn—he cannot tolerate the innocence
of the child. He is
     compelled to violate it to relieve the pressures of his own
anxiety.

     If you can see the foregoing to be true, you must be able to accept
the concept of an original
     source, a date lost antiquity, a place where the original man
experienced his traumatic shock
     and lost his identity to the source of that shock because he
accepted a lie, and in accepting the
     lie, he accepted the spirit behind the lie. In much the same way as
animals reflect their
     environment, so must that first man have begun to take upon himself
the nature that violated him
     in the beginning, and this he has transmitted "faithfully" to his
offspring. The history of mankind
     is one of madness, tyranny, and bloodshed. Claimed by tyrants of
many kinds at birth, we all
     inherit confusion. This is so because we come into the world
subject to what has preceded us in
     the world, and that is precisely the point. Good does not precede
us. It is Error that stands there
     ready to claim us for the traditional ways, to keep us true to the
elaborate system of lies and
     conditioning that assures its perpetuation on earth.

     But again, please notice that the pulse beat, the life, of your
obedience is assured by your
     emotional response. Each emotional experience becomes in itself
another trauma, identical to
     the birth trauma, and forming another growth ring to make you more
sensitive to outer stimuli.
     Once established the fleshly development is slavish in its
obedience to the pressures that shape
     it, and a constant bombardment of lies consoles and keeps you from
discovering the Truth that
     might set you free.

     The animal unfolding from the pressures of nature is dependent upon
those very pressures to
     maintain its existing life form. In much the same way, when we
develop through emotional
     stimuli in the way of the beast, we come to crave and be loyal to
the stimuli at the roots of our
     being, completely subject to them; but this is so only if we can be
convinced that we are on the
     "right track", that there is no other way or source of life impulse
possible.

     Once the human organism begins to respond to stimulus, it learns to
identify with that stimulus,
     since some of it incorporates itself into his reflexes. Man is made
up of many such engramic
     memories.

     If there were only one kind of stimulus to motivate us, we could
not have a problem of guilt or
     deviation. Animals, for instance, know only one obedience, and the
changes that are wrought in
     them as a result of that obedience are natural and proper. But when
the same pressures are
     applied to humans, they appear to displace another possible
arrangement.

     If you are very aware, you will observe that the aftermath of
excitement of any kind is guilt, or at
     the very least, a feeling of anxiety. This cannot be proved by any
scientific means, but each one
     of us can observe it consciously from within himself if he cares to
look. What we become
     physically, as the result of any pressure, recognizes that pressure
as its source. That pressure
     (presence) becomes familiar to us, and we miss it when it is not
there, exciting us, tempting us,
     upsetting, loving, and motivating us. Again, we may discover by
observation that persons we
     need are never really good for us at all; but somehow they exude a
familiar presence or
     philosophy reminiscent of the spirit of the past. In some ancient
traumatic shock experience,
     that same "spirit" motivated our forebears and gave them its
identity, displacing the original
     growth process in order to do so. Eventually our parents appeared
and presided over us,
     dictating our future in the critical formative years, tempting us
as they were tempted, loving us
     as they were "loved". Now as we grow older and forget the true way
that we never actually had a
     chance to "remember", we are obliged to reach for more of that
familiar spirit in other people, the
     only one we know that can continue to provide the kind of
motivating presence we have grown
     accustomed to need.

     When our "familiar spirits" are there in the bodies of our friends
and associates, doing their
     "thing", we develop in a way that is not truly right, so that when
they are not present, we feel a
     kind of guilt or vague uneasiness about the way we are growing. And
pride has no tolerance for
     anything that makes it feel guilty. It is pride, reaching for the
services of the evil, that keeps us a
     bondslave to evil.

     Everything that violates you makes you need it, because when you
become involved, you are
     identifying with it engrammatically. You begin to believe that you
would be "unnatural" if you
     didn’t respond to its call, that you would be a traitor if you
dared to resist the impulse it can so
     irresistibly produce in you.

     As I have indicated, if you were to sit in the silence of solitary
confinement, without lies or
     emotional pressures of any kind, you would feel guilty, lonely, and
afraid. And it would be Truth
     that you feared. The longer you are left alone, the more the
entertainment of imagination fades,
     and you will tend to see in your nature the ugly grotesque form of
the power that has laid claim
     to you. So you reach out for the familiar excitements in order to
feel comfortable again, but each
     experience leaves its mark, its growth ring. Soon we need more and
more stimuli to feel secure.
     Notice that as the excitement emanating from a person or pill or
bottle fails, or when we discover
     what a slave we have become to it, we must either cling more
tightly to it, rebel against it in
     some destructive way, or each for other things with similar
excitement values. And as each new
     thing excites us to feel secure, we become deeply enslaved to that
thing. What violates,
     enslaves.

     Of course, if we had no true identity (nature) to violate, we could
not consider any of these
     hangups to be ensalvements. Animals cannot be said to be "hung up"
with their environment.
     Whatever form they assume through responding to environment is what
they are and what they
     ought to be; they can depend on it without qualms. We humans, on
the other hand, are now
     what we should not be. What is more, the environment that we
represent to our child is very like
     the first temptation that transformed God’s paradise into man’s
miserable earth.

                  Copyright © 1996 - 1999 Foundation of Human
Understanding
http://www.fhu.com/home.htm