</A> -Cui Bono?-

 Hi,

 Maybe I've missed it, but I've seen no discussion, and
 lots of allegations, regarding a basic scientific issue:

 There is a rumor (or urban legend) to the effect that in
 recent centuries and decades, the Earth's atmospheric oxygen
 concentration has rapidly dropped from the 32-40% range, down
 to around 19-21% -- and then more recently (especially in big
 cities, it is alleged) to only 16-17%, or to even as low as
 11-12% (depending upon who is retelling this slippery story).

 Now, is this entirely a matter of environmentalist doomsday
 "theology" -- perhaps driven by commercially or politically
 motivated propaganda ?  Did someone "channel" this information,
 or is there scientific evidence to support some part of this ?

 (And if there is some amount of truth to this, where did the
 "missing" oxygen disappear to -- and what is taking its place,
 in the 100% of "something" making up what we're breathing ?)

 No, I'm not worried -- just a little concerned that no one
 (apparently) has seen fit to educate the media-led masses of
 people who are left to possibly believe (based on these rumors)
 that they and their kids can't be "really healthy, anymore,"
 simply because "the oxygen is rapidly disappearing."

 Someone recently told me -- in dead earnest -- that "Ed McCabe
 told me" (when, I didn't ask) that these stories were factual.

 I did a search on "urban legend" and "oxygen" -- using
 www.alltheweb.com -- and was startled to find that (apparently)
 no one has written about this seeming life-or-death issue.

 Has anyone seen any logical, science-based discussions
 specifically confirming or disproving these persistent rumors ?

 How long have these stories been circulating ?

 Bill

.