I'd like to draw the attention of all of us to
the recent police raid on the Tattered Cover
bookstore in Denver, Colorado, USA.  A hearing
will be held May 4, 2000, at which time the
North Metro Drug Task Force will press for
service of a search warrant on credit card
transactions of store book orders.  I've put
together some clippings at
http://www.eldritchpress.org/tattered.txt
so you can make up your own mind about the
issue.

No, the story doesn't apply directly to those
of us who publish online books.  But it does
come at a time when the FTC is putting into
effect a new law that limits the information
a web site can get on under-13-year-old readers.
My personal response is to destroy all my web
server logs so there is no question about
privacy or search warrants and the like.  I
don't believe in censorship or banning books
or invading reader privacy.  (I don't believe
in selling amphetamines or throwing bombs
either, but I don't think that all of us need
to give up our hard-won rights just to cooperate
in a war on a few criminals.)

The May 4th hearing comes on the anniversary
of the Chicago Haymarket bombing incident, the
subject of a book I just put online, "The Bomb:
A Novel," by Frank Harris, at
http://www.eldritchpress.org/harris/bomb.htm
Perhaps this 'Law Day,' May 1st, we Americans
will stop to reflect on the struggle to achieve
an eight-hour working day, and what we have
attained so far.

--
"Eric"  Eric Eldred  Eldritch Press
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters