"Robert F. Tatman" wrote:

> As a Quaker and a longtime activist in the movement for peace and social
> justice, I have a lot of experience with decision-making by consensus, in
> sometimes very large groups (1000+). It *is* possible to make decisions this
> way, but it takes a loooong time, and the nature of the decision is often
> determined by who has the harder butt. Decision-making by consensus is also
> highly susceptible to manipulation by a controlling minority. I've seen
> *that* happen both among Quakers and among leftists committed to
> "participatory democracy." (LaRouche's Labor Committee people were VERY good
> at hogtieing groups until they were the only people left awake.)
>
> BUT: when decision-making by consensus works, it works very well indeed,
> precisely because there is no disgruntled minority; everyone owns the
> decision, everyone has bought into the decision, everyone defends and
> promotes the decision.

This is true. I too have worked within a political framework of consensus
and found it to be tedious but workable. This does not mean however that it
would be at all usefull as a national political system in a country of 175
million of which about half were eligable to vote.

I personally see direct democracy as being more workable, but only to be used
for major issues. Otherwise representative democracy will do, but only if the
representative can be fired on the spot at any time by a majority of his/her
constituents, and his/her last vote be considered null and void.

Furthermore, ONLY an elected official's constituants will determine the
official's salary.

Just thoughts,
J2

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL