Explanatory Note:
     The research of Jerry Cornelius regarding any contact Charles
Manson may have had with the Solar (Riverside) Lodge of the OTO, as
published in Scribe (vol.1, no. 7, 1997), leads him to a wall of denial.
Cornelius, in a hotly-written rebuttal, disagrees with me and other
writers, particularly Ed Sanders and Peter Levenda, about the
relationsip: "The most common misconception about the Solar Lodge that
authors love to foster is the connection with Charlie Manson. Contrary
to what some would like readers to believe, this is a misconception. He
was not a  member, nor is there any strong evidence that he ever visited
the group. The sole source of these stories is found in Ed Sanders' book
The Family published in 1971. Here Sanders wrote that at "least five
separate individuals have claimed that they were told by a member of
Brayton's rebel O.T.O. Lodge that Manson was involved with the Lodge."
These  allegations have never been substantiated and appear to be only
second hand gossip told to a third party who then talked to Sanders,
hardly the type of evidence which would stand up in a Court of Law. The
only tenuous connection to the Manson murders is that the Solar Lodge
problems occurred two months before the Tate-LaBianco murders.... We
find authors like Alex Constantine ... along with Peter Levenda, the
author of The Unholy Alliance, promoting the same old tired
misconceptions, if not creating new outright lies."
     Odd that Cornelius should attack Sanders, et al. As recounted below,
Sander's version of events originated with Grady McMurty, then the "Outer
Head" of the OTO: "When it became known that Manson had been a visitor to
Jean Brayton's O.T.O., McMurtry informed on Brayton to the FBI in order not
to get involved in the FBI's investigations. He also fed the journalist Ed
Sanders with material who as a return favour did not mention McMurtry in his
book 'The Family.'" If Sanders is breeding "lies," they began with McMurty
the FBI informant, himself.
     The following account by P.R, Koenig clarifies the connection, and
substantiates some of the allegations that Cornelius dismisses as "lies"
and "myths." The OTO has long attempted to revise history to distance
itself from the Solar Lodge and Charles Manson, but the Order's own
research, including the following, agrees with the published accounts
denounced by Jerry Cornelius (though there is some small disagreement on
details found in my own reporting, as noted in the text):

Charles Manson and the Solar Lodge of the O.T.O.
P.R. Koenig

New O.T.O. groups in the US
Although Charles Manson never had been member of any of the many O.T.O.
groups, the tabloid press often warms up his short contact with Georgina
Brayton's "Solar Lodge of the O.T.O." of the 1960s. The "Caliphate" (the
new American O.T.O. founded in 1977) often calls this earlier O.T.O.
lodge 'irregular', but Phyllis Seckler, a protagonist of the "Caliphate"
(the wife of its founder Grady L. McMurtry) recently admitted it to be a
real O.T.O. lodge. To exaggerate, without Manson the "Caliphate" would
not exist at all. -- Let's unroll the history a bit.
During Crowley's lifetime there was only one active O.T.O.- lodge in the
US; the so-called second Agape lodge in California. Since he was never
satisfied with its members and activities (entry in Crowley's diary 9
March 1945: "I place the Californian Lodge under INTERDICT.") Crowley
gave to one member of the group which he called fans, above mentioned
McMurtry, a special instruction: in case of emergency to take care of
this lodge, submitted to the veto of his heir, the German Karl Germer.
But Germer never thought highly about McMurtry (calling him a "Minus"
and considering the US as a "spiritual desert") and closed the Agape
Lodge on September 7, 1953 in order to favour the Swiss H.J. Metzger as
heir. Around this time, McMurtry completely lost his interest in the
O.T.O. and that's maybe why others continued O.T.O. activities in the
US.
In the mid-1950s, two ex-members of this ex-Agape Lodge (dissolved in
1953), Ray and Mildred Burlingame, worked together with Georgina R.
(Jean) Brayton (born 29 December 1921) and her husband Richard
Montgomery Brayton (born 1911, university lecturer at the University of
California) on some of Crowley's O.T.O.-rituals. After Germer's death in
1962, the Brayton group started to call itself Solar Lodge of the O.T.O.
or Riverside Lodge of the O.T.O. and was something like a motherless
satellite of a dissolved lodge. Neither Burlingame nor the later
re-appearing McMurtry possessed the permission either to initiate or to
found a new lodge of the O.T.O. It is strictly and explicitly forbidden
to initiate or install lodges without permission by a superior,
according to the O.T.O. statutes.
Members of the Solar Lodge were accused of having ransacked the homes of
Sascha Germer, Israel Regardie and Mildred Burlingame in order to
collect O.T.O. material. When Phyllis Seckler (another ex-member of the
dissolved Agape Lodge) came to hear this, she contacted another
ex-member of the same dissolved lodge, Grady L. McMurtry in January
1969. Soon they would marry and become the founding nucleus of the
"Caliphate". [see below]
Years later, Solar Lodge member Robert Duerrenstein denied that any
member of the Solar Lodge ever ransacked the houses of Sascha Germer et
alii for the simple reason that Ray Burlingame had told them that there
was no O.T.O. material worth stealing.

Report by a member of the Solar Lodge of the O.T.O.

Date: August 1999, compiled from several emails

 I am a former member of the Solar Lodge of the O.T.O., in Los Angeles,
from September 1967 to February 1968.

 I was looking for an apartment and ran across one owned by Georgina
(Jean) and Richard Brayton, as they had advertised such for rent. They
had at least three properties in the USC neighborhood. I only know about
the houses andapartment in the USC neighborhood. This was at the
beginnning of the time when they were building their empire. Jean
encouraged me to attend a meeting, gave me the manifesto of the O.T.O.,
and a privately-printed copy of the Book of the Law.

 There were approximately 15-20 members as I recall at the time. I have
 forgotten most of their names. The house where they lived is no longer
there. They seemed very organized, and quite dedicated. Los Angeles at
that time was immersed in the same social ferment as San Francisco.
Remember the summer oflove? I had just come down from Haight-Ashbury. We
were all still using LSD and looking for utopian groups. The news was
only just beginning to sensationalize and distort what we were doing.
But we were easy targets for the more experienced, sinister people who
wanted our money, souls, etc. The O.T.O. looked like a cool group of
people, at first, because they had all the right words. They were very
welcoming, and wanted us to join in with their rituals. They practiced
all the rituals you read about in the Equinox. They began initiating
more and more people during the months I was involved, because they
wanted to increase their numbers. Jean was clearly in charge, but was
often absent. But she supervised the dismantling and reassembly of
 buildings in the desert.

 Her husband was a teacher at the University. Several of the lodge
members were students. Many kinds of drugs were available. One or two of
the members were making them. The house had a main temple on the top
floor, but members had individual temples in their rooms, some quite
elaborate.

 I left in order to go to Vietnam. This was before the affairs with the
 newspapers and the stories about Charles Manson. You can imagine the
chills I felt in 1969, hearing about Charles Manson's beliefs in race
wars, building retreats in the desert, hearing messages in Beatles
songs, using drugs, talking about "man is god" and "Do what thou wilt"
philosophies. Nevertheless, I did not know about the Solar Lodge scandal
until I ran across it in an obscure book in a second hand bookstore in
1988! Now of course with the Internet there is all kinds of information
and misinformation.

 The only thing I have read in the press was the book, The Family, by Ed
 Sanders. Some of his information seemed about right, but some of it was
just plain wrong, I think. There was never a lodge in San Bernardino.
They are confused with San Bernardino county, which is where Blythe is.

                                       * * *

 To my knowledge, the Solar Lodge of the O.T.O. started in late 1966 -
early
 1967. The construction of the Ark began in summer of 1967. We used
materials
 from quonsett huts we purchased and disassembled, then took them out
into the
 desert, near the Colorado River. The exact spot was near the small town
of
 Vidal, Calif.

 We were headquartered in an old house in Los Angeles, near the USC
campus. We
 were building the "Ark " in the Mojave desert, near Blythe, California.

 There were about 15 to 20 other members of the Lodge at that time; men
and
 women, all ages. A few were students at USC, but there were also
 professionals, house wives, and assorted others. No one as crazy as
Manson at
 that time. Where did Charles Manson come from? I guess I'm not
surprised,
 though. There were some pretty far-out types circulating between Haight
 Ashbury and L.A. in those days.

Excerpt of "Ordis Templis Intelligentis" by Alex Constantine, 1996:
The O.T.O.'s Solar Lodge in San Bernardino was founded by Maury
McCauley, a mortician, on his own property. McCauley was married to
Barbara Newman, a former model and the daughter of a retired Air Force
colonel from Vandenberg. The group subscribed to a grim, apocalyptic
view of the world precipitated by race wars, and the prophecy made a
lasting impression on Charles Manson, who passed through the lodge. In
the L.A. underworld, the O.T.O. spin-off was known for indulgence in
sadomasochism, drug dealing, blood drinking, child molestation and
murder. The Riverside O.T.O., like the Manson Family, used drugs, sex,
psycho-drama and fear to tear down the mind of the initiate and rebuild
it according to the desires of the cult's inner-circle.

 Morris McColley was not the head of the group, and he did not have a
place in San Bernardino, but in Vidal, which is in the very large county of
San Bernardino. Actually I don't think it was his place, either. And part
of the reason in my opinion for the location may have been that it was close
to Parker, AZ, which was the location of one of Jean Brayton's teachers.
Morris was a barber, not a mortician, as I recall. I don't remember Barbara.
Yes, the order did have apocalyptic views when I was there. That is why the
"Ark" was  built. This was a temple in the desert, built from disassembled
quonsett huts. What is a quonsett hut? It is a temporary structure built in
wartime. Made from large pieces of corrugated steel, it's like taking a big
pipe, laying it on the side, cutting off the bottom half, putting doors on
the ends, and windows in the sides. The group believed that "it was all
going to come down" that is, a repeat of the Watts riots (remember, this was
LA in 1967) not unusual. This was a time of revolutionary fervor among the
young in many places including Germany, China, Paris, England, and of course
peace and protest marches everywhere! We were caught up in a mixture of
drugs, anti-war, and anti-establishment. The Order was powerful because it
embodied these things. Interestingly, the racist attitudes were not made
evident at first, but only hinted at. This was Jean's way ... she often
would obliquely hint at things. We would listen to the Beatles albums and
hear special messages. There were messages everywhere, if you could hear
them. Hearing them often involved drugs. All kinds of drugs.
 Jean wanted converts, while the "gates of initiation" were wide open.
She began putting on "profane parties" to bring in the masses, and people
were attracted to the idea of a special, semi secret organization with
rituals, sex and strange doings and good drugs and groovy people!

 The group did not have a single, cohesive world view. There may have
been some members who believed in hollow earth. Jean was very interested in
Mei Ling's world prophecy, which, among other things, dicussed a predicted
world deluge. There were all kinds of ideas flying around the place! People
were trying out different kinds of thoughts.

Question: Were the rituals/initiations para-masonic ?

 Indeed they were, in fact, prior to taking the first degree, we were
asked if we had ever had any contact with the masons.

Question: What ceremonies and which initiations (into which degree)?

 The only ones I know about for sure were the minerval through the
third. I believe others may have been conducted in the desert. I
suspected the sex magick, which is one of the reasons I left ... the
women weren't all that attractive!! They didn't tell you everything
right at first :) But as I hung around the house, I picked up bits and
pieces. Especially after I visited the ark. And of course, when everyone
was high.

 Jean often referred to Ray Burlingame, and mentioned Parker, Arizona,
which is possibly where they had lived for a time. I got the feeling
that their contact had been a few years previously, but I don't know
exactly.

 They sure had a lot of old books and other artifacts. I was in Jean and
 Dick's bedroom a few times (snooping) and besides being really messy,
there
 was a lot of stuff. The only theft I knew about was when two members
visited
 a house in the neighborhood that was for sale, and they took something
from
 it, stating that it belonged to them anyway. I was put off by this, and
it
 was another one of the reasons I felt distanced from the group. The only
 other illegal activity I knew of was drug use, but then, it was the
60's !

Question: Did Jean Brayton really think to be the re-incarnation of
Aleister
 Crowley ?

 She never said this to me.

Question: Did she claim to be the Head of the OTO ?

 No, just that lodge. Jean never claimed to be OHO, or any grade, for
that
 matter. And indeed, there was one other person who I met who might have
had a
 leadership role, but I don't recall his name.

 I knew there were other groups, They were seen as rivals. But the lodge
did
 not consider _all other groups to be rivals, nor did it consider
freemasonry
 to be antithetical. I do not know the exact identity of the groups it
 considered to be enemies, I just know they existed. I do know that some
of
 the lodge members considered black people to be enemies. This made me
 uncomfortable.

 My memory of Jean Brayton is that she was a good person. I believe her
 iron-fisted rule descended after my time, or else she hid it from me.
In my
 experience, she was authoritarian, but not tyrannical. There were no
children
 at the lodge when I was there, so I did not get to see how they were
taught.

                     To be continued below

In August 1969, Charles Manson's 'Familiy' committed their 'famous'
murders.
At the same time, the Solar Lodge caused scandals as well. Here's a
newspaper clip of 'The Washington Post', October 31, 1969:

            Boy Tells Of Chaining By Cultists
              INDO, Calif, Oct. 30 (UPI)
            - Anthony Saul Gibbons, 6, sitting on a pillow
            on the witness stand so he could be seen, tes-
            tified Wednesday he was burned with matches and
            imprisoned in a packing crate at a desert com-
            mune for starting a fire.
              The small boy was barely audible as he relatd
            the events that led to his being chained inside
            the sweltering box for 56 days during the sum-
            mer on the farm commune operated by a cult called
            Ordi Templar Orientialis.
              Eleven members of the commune, including the
            child's mother, are on trial for felony child
            abuse.
              Anthony, now a ward of the court, said his
            fingers were burned with matches after he started
            the fire which destroyed a house and injured a
            group of goats June 20.
              He testified he was placed in the packing crate
            with his legs chained and let out only to do his
            "chores."
              The boy was questioned repeatedly before he took
            the oath as Defence Attorney Keith Blazer attempted
            to establish if the boy knew what a lie was. The
            boy said he understood that he would be punished if
            he told a lie.
              After Anthony testified, the prosecution rested
            its case.

Candace Reos, a former member of the Lodge, was deposed by the Riverside
police in 1969. Reos said that Brayton controlled the thinking of the
members. One member, she said, was ordered to curb his sexual urges by
cutting his wrists every time he was aroused. Mrs. Reos told police that
when she became pregnant, Jean Brayton was angry and told her that she
would have to condition herself to hate her child. Reos told the police
that children of the cult's 43 adult members were secluded from their
parents and received "training" that took on "very severe tones." "There
was a lot of spanking involved," she reported, "and a lot of being
enclosed in dark rooms." The teachers, she added, "left welts." If so
ordered, adult cultists would beat their children.

The FBI files on the Solar Lodge
[Blackened parts by the FBI are marked XXX. Please note that Charles
Manson is not mentioned at all. A facsimile of this document can be
found in my Materialien zum OTO ]