Òåìà: Russian Visa Denied to Human Rights Activist
| Dear friends,
|
| I enclose information about the refusal by the Russian Foreign Ministry to
| issue a visa for Reverend Terasawa, a buddhist monk who has worked
actively
| for many years to promote human rights in Russia and a peaceful settlement
| to the ongoing conflict in Chechnya. Monks from his order, Nipponzan
| Myohoji, in Moscow asked me to distribute the enclosed message with
further
| details. Protest letters to the Russian government, President and  Foreign
| Ministry are welcome - please see addresses below.
|
| Best wishes,
| Chris Hunter
|
| -Foreign Minister Igor Ivanova, Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
| Smolenskaya-Sennaya Square 32/34, Moscow, Russian Federation
| -Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov, Government of the Russian Federation,
| Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya 2, Moscow, Russian Federation
| -President Vladimir Putin, the Kremlin, 103132 Moscow, Russian Federation
|

| For the attention of:
| -all Russian and international NGOs,
| -intergovernmental organisations,
| -Russian and international mass media.
|
| APPEAL
|
| Dangerous precedent in Russia- Reverend Junsei Terasawa, a Japanese
Buddhist
| monk, was recently officially denied a Russian visa by the Russian
Ministry
| of Foreign Affairs. This was because of his speech against the ongoing war
| in Chechnya at the UN Commission for Human Rights in Geneva April 2000.
|
| Reverend Junsei Terasawa, a Japanese citizen, born in 1950, is a Buddhist
| monk and Teacher of several small communities in Moscow and other parts of
| Russia, Ukraine, Central Asia and the Caucasus. He has been periodically
| staying in Russia for almost ten years, and has received Russian visas
| dozens of times, upon the invitation of various Russian Buddhist
| organisations. Rev. Terasawa is quite well-known among the various circles
| of  society; orientalists, human rights activists, politicians, writers,
| cultural and social activists; as a distinguished Buddhist teacher,
pilgrim,
| peacemaker and human rights advocate. He is also known for promoting
| inter-cultural & inter-religious links, and as a deeply spiritual person,
| eager and open for communication. In the 70-s and 80-s, before he came to
| Russia, he lived in Western Europe for a significant period, and became
well
| known there as a Buddhist activist and participant in the peace movement.
| When staying in Russia, Reverend Terasawa protested  against violence
since
| the very start of the first Chechen military campaign, regularly taking
part
| in meetings and pickets against the war, along with his disciples. He was
| also active in organising inter-religious joint prayers for peace and was
| one of the chief initiators of The March of Mothers' Compassion "For Life"
| from Moscow to Grozniy in 1995. He frequently visited the conflict zone.
|
| On 27 April, 2000, the Buddhist order of Nipponzan Myohoji applied for the
| invitation for further issue of the three-months' multiple Russian visa
for
| Mr. Junsei Terasawa. The order was registered on 02/04/1997 at the Dept.
of
| Justice, Moscow, ¹ 613; and at the Dept. of Consular Service, The Ministry
| of Foreign Affairs, RF, ¹ 25020. The term of the issue of the invitation
| expected expired on 18 May, 2000, but it was prolonged twice.
|
| Finally, on 6 June 2000, Mr. D.Zakharov, Attache at the Dept. of Consular
| Service,  Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia, informed of an "official
| denial" in issuing a visa for Japanese citizen Mr.Terasawa Junsei. The
| official also explained that Mr. Terasawa was not marked in any of the
| penalty lists of the MFA, thus being "clean" as far as the visa regime is
| concerned. Furthermore, the invitation had already been issued on 16 May
| 2000.  Nevertheless, the invitation was retained upon the instruction of
the
| Federal Security Service of Russia, as the aforementioned person was on a
| certain so-called "closed list of the FSB" (FSB is the new name for the
| KGB). Thus, no official or other reasons for the denial were disclosed.
|
| The reasons are evident, however. The fact is that being a representative
of
| the NGO 'International Peace Bureau', Rev. Terasawa participated  in the
| 56-th Session of the UN Commission on Human Rights, held from 20 March to
28
| April, 2000, in Geneva. This Commission is the supreme international board
| for human rights in all countries of the world. Junsei Terasawa took
| advantage of his right to speak out, which every NGO representative
| accredited has, and made an oral statement at this Commission against the
| war in Chechnya. In that statement, as well as during talks with members
of
| various delegations, he spoke the truth about the facts of war crimes
| committed against the peaceful population and about clear violations of
| human rights in Chechnya since the beginning of the present-day war there.
| As a religious and spiritual person and simply a man and citizen, and for
| reasons of conscience and compassion for the innocent victims of  this
| tragedy, Reverend Terasawa raised his voice for their human rights. He
also
| assisted the Chechen representatives at the UN Commission in expressing
| their peaceful proposals for a cessation of bloodshed.
|
| The official Russian delegation in Geneva was annoyed by that position and
| activity, considering it to be "support for terrorists and separatists".
At
| the same time, on 25 April  2000, resolution 2000/58 was adopted at the UN
| Commission for Human Rights in Geneva by the overwhelming majority of
| delegates from many countries of the world. The resolution clearly
condemned
| the Government of the Russian Federation for their grave violations of
human
| rights in the Chechen Republic.
|
| Evidently, it was entirely due to these circumstances that the Russian
| authorities took measures in return, as a kind of revenge on Rev.
Terasawa.
| Such steps are practised in authoritarian states only, and were typical
for
| the former Soviet Union, but are in no way acceptable for countries which
| claim to be part of the democratic European community.
|
| We must consider the fact that all the numerous actions and activities
| against the war in Chechnya conducted in Russia by Reverend Terasawa, and
| even his arrest and five days' detainment in a filtration camp in Chechnya
| in 1995 (where he and his disciples had their  finger prints taken), were
| not followed by any restrictions for his stay in Russia. Only after the
| country has become generally gripped in the hands of the security
services,
| has  such a diplomatic revenge been able to occur, in return for the open
| condemnation of grave violations of human rights in Russia on the
| international arena.
|
| We call on all organisations and institutions, all those of good will in
| Russia and abroad, to raise their voices for the legal right of Reverend
| Junsei Terasawa to the unobstructed  entrance into the Russian Federation.
| We request everyone to take all steps possible for his official
| rehabilitation and the restoration of Justice.
|
| Today, the rights and freedom of a single person are concerned; tomorrow -
| the same may happen to everyone…
|

| 8 June, 2000     The Buddhist order of Nipponzan Myohoji
|
| For further and detailed information and papers, please, contact us at:
| (+7-095) 466-09-78 (tel/fax)
|
| or mail us to:
| 16-49, 1-st Tverskoy-Yamskoy pereulok, 125047, Moscow, RUSSIA
| (For Felix Shvedovskiy)

|_________
earthradioTV.com - Alternative News Portal for ecology, politics &
consciousness.           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
earthradioTV.com MIRROR SITES:
USA     http://www.earthradioTV.com/
CZECH   http://mujweb.cz/www/ecologynews/
UK      http://members.tripod.co.uk/ecologynews/
Canada http://www.ecologynews.com

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL