From:               "Tlasek, Sally" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:            FW: Republicans for Buchanan!!!! if Dubya
picks pro-abort Ridge
Date sent:          Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:57:00 -0400

This could be really good news!!!  See paragraph 5.

-------------

Bush may find middle with Ridge GOP split on usefulness of pro-abortion
rights running mate
By R.G. RATCLIFFE and JULIE MASON
Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle

The state Republican convention begins in Houston today with its
socially conservative delegates wondering whether presidential candidate
George W. Bush will pick a pro-abortion rights running mate.

As several potential running mates have withdrawn their names from
consideration, the speculation about the Texas governor's choice keeps
swirling around Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge.

Bush is opposed to abortion in most cases, but earlier this year Ridge
advocated removing the anti-abortion plank from the Republican national
platform.

"The reaction (to Bush choosing Ridge) on the part of pro-lifers would be
stunned disbelief and then anger," said Colleen Parro of Dallas,
executive director of the Republican National Coalition for Life. "He
(Bush) would lose a substantial amount of his base vote and the
election."

Parro said some are talking about forming "Republicans for Buchanan,"
referring to conservative commentator Pat Buchanan. Buchanan, an
abortion opponent, left the Republican Party last year and likely will be
the Reform Party's presidential nominee.

"A pro-abort vice president would really be a huge turnoff for pro-lifers
generally," said Texas Right to Life President Joseph Graham of
Houston. "And I don't think it would give him (Bush) any great advantage
that would offset the likelihood of causing a great number of pro-life
voters to sit on the bench in November."

Ridge appeals to the Bush campaign because he and the governor are
friends and because it is believed Ridge would make the ticket look more
moderate, especially to women voters.

But Republican National Committeeman Tim Lambert of Lubbock said he
does not believe Bush will pick Ridge. Lambert said Bush campaign
strategist Karl Rove told the RNC last month that the election will hinge
on whether the Republicans or the Democrats get out their base vote.

"Governor Bush understands the base includes pro-life supporters,"
Lambert said. "I just think the ultimate choice is going to be somebody
who will energize the base and agree with him on abortion."

Bush is not attending the Republican Party of Texas State Convention
today through Saturday at the George R. Brown Convention Center. First
lady Laura Bush is scheduled to speak to delegates Friday.

Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, a Catholic opposed to abortion, got a
boost in the running mate rumor mill this week when he acknowledged
that the Bush campaign had asked him to fill out a background
questionnaire. Even Keating, from a neighboring state already believed to
be solidly in Bush's corner, considered himself to be a distant prospect.

"I will be ... a great coat-holder," Keating said on CNN. "Whatever I can
do to help him become our president, I'll do it, but I don't really expect to
be chosen."

University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato said Bush needs a
moderating influence on the ticket. Sabato said Ridge would not cause
social conservative angst as would the selection of New Jersey Gov.
Christine Whitman, also an abortion-rights advocate.

"He could get away with picking Ridge," Sabato said, though a few
delegates might stage protest walkouts at the Republican National
Convention in Philadelphia, which is expected to nominate Bush and his
running mate.

"The pluses outweigh the minuses of a walkout," Sabato said. "It
positions Bush in the middle where he wants to be, and additionally he
wins Pennsylvania."

Pennsylvania, with 23 of the 270 electoral college votes needed for
victory, is considered to be a tossup state right now in Bush's contest
with Vice President Al Gore, the likely Democratic presidential nominee.
Charles Black, a Washington consultant who is advising Bush, said he
does not believe the selection of an abortion-rights running mate would
hurt Bush among Republicans as long as it was done in advance of next
month's national convention.

"That would give us a few days to organize and reassure the strong pro-
lifers before the convention," Black said. "I'm just not finding the
intensity
that I used to for people wanting (ideological) purity."

Bush's campaign raised Ridge's profile Wednesday by having him offer
the official rebuttals to Vice President Al Gore's campaign swing through
Pennsylvania Wednesday. It could have been viewed as tryout for a
running mate's role as campaign attack dog.

Ridge, a Vietnam veteran who won a Bronze Star, served in Congress
from 1983-95. He, like Bush, was elected governor of his home state in
1994.

Michigan Gov. John Engler, a Catholic opposed to abortion, was once
considered a top pick for Bush. But when Democrats flooded his state's
GOP primary this year to deliver a defeat to Bush, Engler's chances to
become vice president dimmed, despite his state being a tossup with 18
electoral college votes.

Former Missouri Sen. John Danforth was briefly considered as a Bush
running mate, but he removed his name from consideration earlier this
week.

Texas Right to Life President Graham sees another Missouri politician,
Sen. John Ashcroft, as "a marvelous choice."

But the gospel-singing Ashcroft and a candidate such U.S. Rep. John
Kasich of Ohio might be viewed as too tied to the religious right wing of
the Republican Party to help Bush in his move to the middle.

Another candidate with current cachet is Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel,
an early supporter of Bush GOP rival Sen. John McCain. But like
Keating, Hagel comes from a state already in Bush's corner.

------------  end  ---------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
T H E   I N T E R N E T   B R I G A D E
Linda Muller - WebMaster
Post Office Box 650266, Potomac Falls, Virginia 20165
Email: http://www.buchanan.org/form-contact.html
Web: http://www.buchanan.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
S U P P O R T  the Internet Brigade !
Help by sending a Contribution to the address
above or use our online forms at:
http://www.buchanan.org/contributioncheck.html

*******************
A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL