WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Tzemach News Service - http://www.tzemach.org/fyi

Tzemach News Service
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A weekly update of news and events regarding the nation and the people of
Israel

Week Ending: 8 July 2000 / 5 Tammuz 5760

Please feel free to forward to a friend or colleague

NOTE: We apologize for the lateness of the report; however, our server had
a power outage.

"'No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue
that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the
servants of the L-rd, and their vindication is from Me,' declares the
L-rd." (Isaiah 54.17)

HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS WEEK:

> CLINTON COMMITTED TO SUMMIT AND ISRAEL'S DESTRUCTION
> PLO WANTS $40 BILLION PAYOFF
> ISRAELIS ASK CONGRESS TO HOLD BACK CLINTON
> THE MEDIA AND THE 'PIECE' PLAN
> WELCOME TO THE 'BORDER GAMES'
> GREEK CHURCH 'WARNS' ISRAEL
> BARAK SUMMONS HIS 'ADVISORS'
> THE TEMPLE MOUNT 'SUMMER CAMP'
> BLOODSHED PREDICTED BY ALL
> A TIME OF FASTING AND PRAYER (MUST READ!!)
> TOURING IN THE PLO 'CAMP'
> THIS WEEK IN JEWISH HISTORY

CLINTON COMMITTED TO SUMMIT AND ISRAEL'S DESTRUCTION: US President Bill
Clinton intends to make "100 percent of an effort" to ensure that this
week's Camp David summit leads to a deal between Israel and the
Palestinians, the White House said. The eight-day summit starts this
Tuesday, July 11th. Clinton himself is expected to spend much time on the
retreat. PLO Chairman Arafat and Israeli Prime Minister Barak are not
expected to leave Camp David until the end of the summit, and US Secretary
of State Madeleine Albright is also expected to stay there throughout [The
last time there was a summit in Washington, D.C., the Israeli delegation
had their telephones cut-off, among other things -- ed]. Leaked
negotiating papers have suggested that Barak would be prepared at the
summit to give up 92 percent of Judea, Samaria, and Barak has said that
50,000 out of some 195,000 Jewish settlers could be forced to choose
between Palestinian rule and abandoning their homes. Barak seems ready to
give up at least some suburbs of Jerusalem to the Palestinians, while some
of his advisers would go further and plant the Palestinian flag over part
of the city.

PLO WANTS $40 BILLION PAYOFF: The Palestinians want 40 billion dollars in
compensation as part of any peace deal with Israel, which a top negotiator
implied Thursday they would be willing to compromise to reach. Mohammed
Rashid, a top economic advisor to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, told
reporters in the town of Ram'Allah that the some 50-strong Palestinian
negotiating team heading to Camp David next week would ask for 40 billion
dollars in aid, much of it for Palestinian refugees.

ISRAELIS ASK CONGRESS TO HOLD BACK CLINTON: Israeli opposition lawmakers,
who believe Barak's peace policies endanger the country's survival, want
US legislators to run interference for them. Specifically, they've asked
members of Congress to stop the Clinton administration from pressuring
Israel into making more concessions in negotiations with the Palestinians.
Barak's critics here say he is so intent on reaching an understanding that
he may bow to American pressure, in the process abandoning Israel's
security needs by handing over strategic territory to the Palestinian
Authority (PA/PLO). [In fact, Barak must bow to the pressure from Clinton
as it is Clinton who is responsible for getting Barak elected. Clinton is
the 'defacto prime minister' of Israel.-- ed]

THE MEDIA AND THE 'PIECE' PLAN: The media are, of course, running the
usual stories to prepare the general public throughout the world. The
French news agency AFP, stated in a recent story, "the Palestinians will
push for the return of all land lost in 1967 ...". The problem is that the
land did not belong to the "Palestinians" in 1967. Rather, in the case of
Judea and Samaria, Jordan took the land during the fight for independence
in 1948 and annexed it in 1950. In the case of Gaza, it was occupied by
Egypt in 1948.

In an effort to continue stirring up suspicions against the settlers of
Yesha, HA'ARETZ recently reported, "A settler who is believed to have
observed and noted security procedures implemented to protect Prime
Minister Ehud Barak was detained and questioned by police last week. The
suspect, who had sketches of details related to the prime minister's
convoy in his possession, was released after questioning. Police
interrogators concluded that the man's motives were not criminal." It went
on to report, "... the Shin Bet has no concrete intelligence about actual
plans to harm Barak. Personal security arrangements for the prime minister
have not been beefed up." Notice that, as far as the police and Shin Bet
were concerned, there was no story here. So why did HA'ARETZ feel it had
to report the story?

WELCOME TO THE 'BORDER GAMES': You could hear the rocks pelting the tin
roof of an IDF (Israel Defense Force) trailer before you could see them,
dribbling down the sides. About half a dozen Hizb'Allah supporters had
spied the small contingent of reporters approaching the Good Fence near
Metulla on Monday, and offered what has become the traditional greeting.
The demonstrators across the fence whistle and shout. One has a slingshot
and incessantly lets fly at the reporters. The former major checkpoint
between Israel and Lebanon, has become a park commemorating Hizb'Allah's
victory over Israel, where visitors can observe Israelis beyond the border
fence and throw stones at them. One such visitor was Columbia Professor
and Palestinian intellectual Edward Sa'id, who visited the site with his
family and threw stones at Israel. (AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE published a
picture of Sa'id throwing stones.) A senior IDF officer says: "Our
strength is in our ability to restrain ourselves. The image of the IDF is
irrelevant. I don't have any interest in dealing with demonstrators.
That's not my problem. Let's say I shot them. They would shoot back.
Suppose they miss? It would hit the houses, maybe even a resident of
Metulla." One captain says he had no trouble adapting his troops to the
new reality along the border. They had previously been in the security
zone, but have now become policemen, patrolling the border to prevent
demonstrators from infiltrating into Israel. Daily, demonstrators converge
on a 1,000-meter (1,100 yards) long stretch of the fence and pelt Israeli
soldiers, vehicles, and orchards. The rules of engagement are very clear:
No one is allowed to cross the border or deliberately destroy the border
fence. This is met with warning shots in the air, and then at the legs.
IDF troops have twice opened fire on alleged infiltrators. About 1,000
Palestinians shouting anti-Israel slogans hurled stones at Israeli
soldiers across the border Sunday, breaking the window of a military
vehicle, witnesses said. Along the road to the Good Fence there are carts
selling water, soft drinks, beans and pita bread; a peddler invites people
to buy cold water, his friend sells roasted grains. Beside the carts are
benches, where the visitors can sit, eat, and drink without missing the
view at this unique border point.

GREEK CHURCH 'WARNS' ISRAEL: The head of the Greek Orthodox Church in
Israel, Patriarch Dhiodhoros II, is considering freezing the leases the
State of Israel has on its lands. The PA/PLO is closely monitoring the
latest developments. The Palestinians, who repeatedly vied for church
lands against Israel, believe that the deteriorating relations between
Israel and the church will allow them to lease lands inside the Green Line
in locations such as Yafo, Ramla, Nazareth, and Greater Jerusalem. In
addition to Old City lands, the church owns plots in the Jerusalem
neighborhoods of Rehavya and Talbiye (including the Presidential
Residence, the Prime Minister's Residence, and the Great Synagogue), as
well as in Abu Tur, in the vicinity of King David Hotel, in Mishkenot
Sha'ananim, and a large plot in the Saint Simon compound, where a housing
project has been built. Furthermore, the church owns 19,000 dunams in Beit
Shemesh, hundreds of housing units in Ramla, the road from Ma'ale Adumim
to Jericho, and large plots in Akko, Tiberias, Haifa, and the Galilee.

"The land, moreover, shall not be sold permanently, for the land is Mine;
for you are but aliens and sojourners with Me"
(Leviticus 25.23)

BARAK SUMMONS HIS 'ADVISORS': Barak this week summoned urgently to Israel
the American media advisors who accompanied him in his prime ministerial
elections campaign. Barak wishes to discuss political, social and
diplomatic developments with his advisors, GLOBES has learned. The
advisors, James Carville, Stanley Greenberg and Robert Shrum, have been
asked to come to Israel as soon as possible. Their exact arrival date is
not known. The advisors were summoned in view of Barak's fears of a
government collapse, and in preparation for a referendum and/or elections.

THE TEMPLE MOUNT 'SUMMER CAMP': A summer camp for Palestinian youngsters
has opened   on the Temple Mount. Some 2,100 Arab children are
participating. The theme of the camp, as well as that of another one in
Kalkilya, is "the struggle against the settlements".

Meanwhile, it has been revealed that in recent weeks large diameter sewer
pipes have been brought into the Temple Mount. The Antiquities Authority
expressed concern that the installation of these pipes without any
supervision could cause additional severe damage. The director of the
Antiquities Authority, Amir Drori, said in the meeting that no
construction activity should take place on the Temple Mount because it
damages antiquities.

BLOODSHED PREDICTED BY ALL: For the first time in months, the Palestinians
and Israelis publicly agreed on something: if the Camp David summit fails,
then blood will flow anew in the Middle East. Barak warned that failure
would lay the path to a showdown "for which there would be a price to be
paid in blood ... at worst, we will be like Belfast and Bosnia". And
Yasser Arafat's man in Lebanon, Sultan Abu Alayen, predicted that the
summit's failure would make "the whole Middle East sink in a wave of
violence and blood".

Meanwhile, Imad Al Falouji, who holds the communications portfolio in the
PA/PLO, on Monday called upon the Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorist
organizations to prepare for an armed conflict with Israel. Al Falouji
added that this year, the declaration of Palestinian statehood would
become a reality. Al Falouji made his remarks during the second day of the
Palestine Central Council (PCC) assembly in Gaza, during which the
representatives were hashing out issues pertaining to future statehood.
"There will be a battle over Jerusalem. Settlers will not be permitted to
remain in their homes. Israel may not continue to occupy the West Bank,"
stated Al Falouji.

A TIME OF FASTING AND PRAYER: We at the Tzemach News Service and
Fellowship Church would like to ask our brothers and sisters and friends
around the world to join us Tuesday in a time of fasting and prayer for
Israel. The summit at Camp David will begin in full swing on Wednesday.
The main thrust of the summit will be to divide up G-d's land, Israel, and
His holy city, Jerusalem. We plan on entering into spiritual warfare
against this sinful activity. While not being able to come together
physically, we are able to join together spiritually in fasting and prayer
and praise and worship before the throne of the Holy One of Israel. "Let
G-d arise and His enemies be scattered."

TOURING IN THE PLO 'CAMP': An Australian businessman experienced a taste
of Palestinian "hospitality" last week. Chaim Ya'akov Hendrick recounted
his story to ARUTZ-7, beginning with his tour in the area of Shechem,
where he was stopped at a roadblock by Palestinian para-military policemen
as he headed for Joseph's Tomb last Thursday evening. He told the PLO
officers where he was headed, and was allowed to continue on his way   but
not for long. Within several minutes, Hendrick found his car sandwiched
between two Arab-driven vehicles intent on blocking his path. A large
group of Arabs then surrounded his car, and after some moments of tension
and fear, one of them offered to lead Hendrick to his destination. Instead
of being brought to Joseph's Tomb, however, Hendrick was ushered into a
side-street military-style compound, where he was questioned for nearly
two hours, watched by armed guards. "The guy questioning me kept his
finger on the trigger of his gun the whole time," Hendrick related, "and
even ordered me to remove my kippah [skullcap]. I felt like I was being
interrogated by an Gestapo officer. I feared for my life, and so I made a
point of telling him that I had talked to my office [abroad] on my
cellular phone in the car. I felt that if he believed people knew where I
was, he would think twice before killing me."

After two hours, Hendrick was finally released, but   faced with only
Arabic-language road signs   again got lost on the road, and was again
stopped. While yet another PLO officer studied his passport, Hendrick
heard the firing of many rounds of ammunition in what he sensed were
nearby military training exercises. "When the PLO soldier realized that I
noted the shots, he made a quick telephone call, and the gunfire suddenly
stopped."

Back on the road, Hendrick once again found himself at the mercy of an
Arab mob: "I pulled into a gas station in a village. All of a sudden,
swarms of Arabs gathered in the parking lot. Only when I showed the gas
station owner my passport, and told him that I was an Australian tourist,
did he shout something at them and they dispersed."

Chaim Ya'akov Hendrick concluded his harrowing five-hour experience by
driving up to an IDF outpost near Jenin, north of Shechem, where he
provided army officials with a detailed account of his adventures. The
soldiers offered him a room to stay for the night, and advised him to
remain there. Prior to his departure the next morning, IDF officials
suggested that he not contact the Israeli government about the episode,
but should rather register his complaints with the Australian embassy. "My
mouth was dry from fear throughout the whole episode," Chaim Ya'akov
concluded.

BRIEFS: The settlement of Bracha near Shechem and the surrounding area was
declared a closed military zone by the IDF Saturday to prevent
Palestinians protesters from reaching the community's fence and attempting
to tear it down as they did some weeks ago.

Throughout this coming week settlers in all communities have been asked to
take time off from work and devote themselves to the demonstrations and
protests opposing Prime Minister Ehud Barak's participation in the Camp
David Summit.

New Golan Heights website located at: <http://english.golan.org.il/>

ARUTZ-7's video gallery:
<http://www.israelnationalnews.com/english/video/Gallery/Gallery.htm>
"Recognize the Dangers"
Documenting the dangers of the Oslo process.

THIS WEEK IN JEWISH HISTORY

4 July 1945: In Tripoli, Libya and in other Libyan towns, Muslims began
anti-Jewish riots.

4 July 1976: The Entebee Rescue - 256 hostages from an Air France plane
were held  prisoners by Palestinian terrorists and Ugandan soldiers. After
eight days they were rescued by Israeli commandos in a brilliant ruse
under the command of Yonatan Netanyahu who was shot in the back and killed
during the rescue. Naturally, the United Nations condemned Israel for
violating Ugandan Sovereignty. (Suggested reading: "90 Minutes at
Entebbe", William Stevenson, 1976, Bantam Books, paperback)

6 July 1882: This date marks the arrival of the first BILU settlers to
pre-state Israel. This group, called BILU (initials stand for House of
Jacob Let Us Rise and Go), was formed by Russian students at the
University of Khrakov  calling for active colonialization of the land. The
first group of 14 arrived, hiring themselves out as agricultural laborers
at Mikve Yisrael. They believed it was possible to start a world-wide
movement to encourage settlement in Eretz Israel.

8 July 1654: Jacob Barsimon left Holland aboard the 'Peartree' for New
Amsterdam. He was the first Jewish resident of New
Amsterdam (New York). A few months later, 23 Jews who had sailed from
Brazil joined him.

This material has been adapted from "Beyond Time and History" by Eli
Birnbaum

(Sources: HA'ARETZ, AP, AFP, CNS, JERUSALEM POST, MEMRI, GLOBES, ARUTZ-7,
INDEPENDANT, ISRAELWIRE,
ICEJ)

"For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace and for Jerusalem's sake I will
not rest." Isaiah 62.1

Tzemach News Service (TNS) is a ministry of Tzemach Institute for Biblical
Studies (http://www.tzemach.org)

TNS may be reproduced & distributed in any form.  Please give proper
credit.

Lee Underwood

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan