Forwarded is the Wilderness Act and just cause for concern....remember
Los Alamos?  A fire deliberately set.

Today a man watched as his home is being destroyed - beautiful trees in
area up to 200 years old will be gone forever - he has noto yet
considered erosions from the mountains which have been hit.

Dry Lightning - in 70 period read book prior to Weathr Control aka
Weather Modification Program and Senator Udall laughing saying "Oh
someday they will be crying How Dry I am"....big joke for in this book,
called  THE WEATHER CHANGERS written prior to program being classified -
it speaks of clouds without water (straight from June???) and how the UN
by resolution demands we share out weather with the poor third world
countries and they will not have to pay for the program....what else do
they want - they have even polluted our blood banks with AIDS - the life
blood of this country is in part, water.

Yesterday the skies were dark; clouds, wind going east, west, north
south....and dry lightning once again struck behind my house - I have
many trees in my yard - a jungle, and I love it.  To me trees are almost
human, and I can understand why cults of Tree Worshipers were formed
even unto family tree worship

So had enough rain no fire this time - I lost a big tree in front by a
ball of fire the size of a cannon ball some years back.....lightning hit
two years ago, but I got a new TV out of that one - but lost a beautiful
pine nearly 70 feet tall......

Have you seen the pictures out westt while we all go about our day to
day business - they are burning in fire, it is a holocaust - some of
these fires are deliberately set - now question why trees were not
permitted to be cut down by the woodman in orderly fashion......this is
Clinton - this is destruction of the beautiful forests and where is that
lousy phoney Greene Peace and these people picketing WTO and Republican
Convention?   See how phoney it all is.

I reproduce here a portion of what has been warned by Scientists and
people that know but what they do not know is there is a hidden agenda
here....they are paving the way for something else......Los Alamos, was
only the beginning....see how eastily the culprit said, yes I did it -
it was a controlled blaze....so now Dry Lightning....this is the Tesla
genius being put to work by evil men - artificial lightning has been
here some time.

Saba

Here is one portion and for those interested and many must be expert in
this area on list, I still suggest reading Wilderness Act with lots of
information, under the forwarded part of this messsage.

 Examples of Problems The Wilderness Act Is Causing
A Few Examples of Problems The Wilderness Act Is Causing

One of the Coalition's goals is to develop a comprehensive picture of
the impacts "on the ground" of the antiquated philosophical foundation,
inflexibility, anti-management and anti-stewardship limitations of the
Wilderness Act. To do that we need the help of everyone who has had
useful experiences with the Act. What follows are some of the examples
which led us to develop the Coalition's ten point reform agenda.

We offer these examples for two reasons. One is to educate those who do
not understand the problems the Wilderness Act is causing. That is
another one of the Coalition's goals.

However, our primary reason for listing these examples is to stimulate
those who have had or know about similar experiences to contact us and
tell us about them. If you are able to provide additional examples, you
can e-mail us or send us snail mail at WARC, Box 5449, Pocatello, ID
83202-0003. It would help if you could provide us with contact
information so we can get back with you, but if for reasons such as
continued employment you need to remain anonymous, we understand. Just
give us the lead and we will follow up.

Some Examples:

In 1997 a freak weather event caused a massive blowdown of timber on the
Routt National Forest in Colorado. About 13,000 acres of trees were
"windthrown" with over half of that acreage within the boundaries of the
Mt. Zirkel Wilderness Area. The blowdown created what the Forest Service
characterized as an "urgent situation" which "should be addressed
immediately." The agency's major concerns were over the increased fire
danger posed by this downed timber and particularly the threat that it
would serve as the breeding ground for a catastrophic insect infestation
which could kill millions of healthy trees far beyond the immediate area
of the blowdown.

Experts say that given the extent of the blowdown the devastation such
an insect epidemic could cause literally could be catastrophic. It is
reported that an epidemic which killed millions of trees over a nearly
twenty year period in Colorado erupted from a single acre of timber
blown down in the 1930's. Hundreds of thousands of acres of healthy
forest around the blowdown is now seriously at risk.

***********
The danger of catastrophic wildfire greatly increases as the percentage
of dead timber increases. Such catastrophic, high intensity fires not
only destroy fish and wildlife habitat but can permanently alter the
soil biochemistry making regeneration much more difficult. Soil erosion,
loss of recreation opportunities, loss of timber production and greatly
increased wildfire suppression costs are only some of the additional
public costs. To these must be added the local economic costs. These
include loss of property and business losses in the area which includes
the nearby Steamboat Springs ski areas.

*******************

Timing in dealing with such a problem is critical as the Forest Service
pointed out. It takes the insects about two years to build up to
epidemic proportions. Once they achieve a certain level, experts say it
becomes practically impossible to stop them, at least at any reasonable
cost. The traditional way to deal with this kind of problem is to
authorize salvage timber sales and employ other active management
techniques. The Forest Service immediately began to plan for dealing
with the blowdown problem in this way--but only outside the Wilderness
Area. While the Wilderness Act allows actions not normally permitted in
wilderness areas to deal with insect and wildfire, the agencies seldom
use them. Certainly, any effort to override the traditional
non-management of Wilderness would be tied up in court. Unfortunately
the bugs are not subject to court injunction or other legal maneuvering,
and some critics charge that even if the Forest Service were given a
free hand today, it is probably too late.

A similar blowdown occurred in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
in July, 1999, but on a much larger scale. A windstorm felled most of
the timber on over 400,000 acres, the large majority of it in the
wilderness area.

Scientists warn that unless active management actions are taken, actions
which are generally prohibited in wilderness, insect infestations and
wildfire outbreaks inevitably will occur. The scale of the blowdown will
guarantee that these outbreaks could reach catastrophic proportions.
There is still time to take action to prevent such problems, but little
is being done, largely because it is a wilderness area.

A detailed account of two scientists' concerns with the impact of this
blowdown is available on this site.

In 1994, a consortium of three federal agencies, the Department of
Energy, the U.S. Geological Survey and the National Science Foundation
and several universities proposed a "world class," $15 million dollar
experiment on a unique volcanic structure in the Katmai National Park in
Alaska.

The experiment would involve drilling into the the "Novarupta Vent"
created in 1912 in the largest volcanic eruption in this century.

Scientists were seeking answers to fundamental questions such as why
volcanos erupt, why they stop and what the impact is on the surrounding
earth as a result of these eruptions. The experiment would have involved
a temporary camp for the research crew, a drilling platform and a
temporary water supply system. All impacts would have been reclaimed.

A National Academy of Sciences panel appointed to investigate whether
there were alternative sites for this experiment anywhere in the world
concluded that there were not. Novarupta was a unique scientific target.

Unfortunately, it is also located within the boundaries of a Wilderness
area within the Park. Predicatibly, wilderness advocates stridently
opposed this experiment, its unique potential scientific contribution
notwithstanding.

As a result, the Park Service permitted only a portion of the experiment
to proceed, significantly reducing its value.

In December, 1996 famed race car driver Bobby Unser and a friend became
lost in a blizzard while snowmobiling in a Colorado national forest. As
they struggled to get back to the trailhead, they had to abandon first
one of their snowmobiles because it developed mechanical problems and
eventually the other.

They spent the night in a snow cave and struggled through deep snow for
hours, barely escaping the ordeal with their lives.

Even though there was no evidence that they had ever entered a nearby
wilderness area (they were lost, after all), Mr. Unser was charged by
the Forest Service with violating the provision of the Wilderness Act
which prohibits motorized vehicle use inside a Wilderness.

After Wilderness was designated on national forests in Arizona in the
mid-1980's, the state fish and game agency began to encounter a number
of wildlife threatening problems created by wilderness.

A serious one involved "guzzlers," manmade watering holes the agency had
been constructing for 40 years to benefit a wide variety of wildlife
species. In most of the deserts of the Southwest, water is the limiting
factor in the carrying capacity of wildlife habitat.

Following wilderness designation, the Forest Service began preventing
the state agency from repairing guzzlers or ordered them removed
altogether as being "incompatible" with wilderness. Those animals which
had become dependent on these watering sources were consequently
sacrificed to a bureaucratic interpretation of Wilderness
"compatibility."

In other instances, the state game department had to abandon any
effective aerial surveys of wildlife populations, which is a critical
management tool. Flights below 2000 feet were not permitted and the
Forest Service would not allow any on-the-ground marking of flight
quadrants in ways which, in the state agencies words, "could
realistically be seen from the air."

After a wildlife officer on a wildlife survey landed inside a Wilderness
area in the Superstition Mountains to apprehend a poacher, the Forest
Service informed the agency that its personnel could no longer land in
any Wilderness area without "prior approval." Other wildlife projects
the agency wanted to carry out became economically infeasible because
the Forest

Service prohibited use of motorized equipment, requiring the necessary
materials and non-motorized equipment to be packed in on foot or
horseback.

(  An article by the agency outlining these problems is available.)

In 1999 in Utah wilderness activists opposed the construction of
guzzlers in areas which were not even designated Wilderness. The areas
in question are merely areas they think should be wilderness. They are
opposing these critical structures because they claim they would
disqualify the areas from being designated as Wilderness by Congress.

The creation of buffer zones around Wilderness areas or even Wilderness
Study Areas (WSA's) by the land management agencies or by the courts is
a growing problem. In Northwest Motorcycle Association vs. U.S.
Department of Agriculture the district court found and the appeals court
upheld that the Forest Service could consider the presence of a nearby
wilderness area in Washington's Wenatchee National Forest in restrict
activity outside the Wilderness area.

***************
This, even though the legislation establishing the Wilderness area
specifically prohibited establishing buffer zones. Similar actions have
been taken in Colorado despite legislative prohibitions on creating
buffer zones. In 1990, the Interior Board of Land Appeals upheld a BLM
decision not to allow a mine development because of the "visual impact"
on a nearby WSA.

*****************
In New Hampshire, the Forest Service acceded to pressure from wilderness
advocates and dropped plans to allow people with disabilities to use a
previously closed road near the Sandwich Range Wilderness Area.

Return to MAIN INDEX
[See forwarded copy of value to those who care......American Is Burning
- cui bono  A Saba]

A. Saba
Dare To Call It Conspiracy

A. Saba