[EMAIL PROTECTED],Internet writes:

>There was a particularly good year the previous year and

>many potatoes were left in the field.  If you know that the

>potato is a member of the nightshade family and that the
>whole plant will turn poisonous with age.  By leaving them

>in the fields to decompose they could have set themselves

>up with bad soil, then when the weather turned foul the next

>year the scene had already been set for fungus.

I raise potatoes in my yard. The fungus is in the soil. It only becomes a
problem when the weather is wetter than a certain degree. Last year was an
El Nino year. It didn't stop raining till June. my crop was ruined. This
year they're doing fine.

>Unless the

>English also controlled the weather in 1845...

What the Brits controlled was the troops. If you fell behind on your rent
a bunch of armed men would come around and throw you off of your farm.
Consequently, my ancestors were forced to raise wheat, beef and pork for
export, but couldn't afford to eat any. Instead they lived on potatoes.
The "shanty" Irish (the vast majority of us )typically lived in a two room
shack. The entire family lived in one room and raised a pig or two in the
other room. Once a year the pig was slaughtered, the meat sold, and the
rent paid. This was called "keeping a pig in the parlor." The pig himself
was called "the gentleman who pays the rent."

This is how colonialism works. It only ended in Ireland when the Irish had
killed enough of the right Brits. It still goes on in the North. Today,
colonialism the world over has evolved into neo-colonialism. Under
neo-colonialism the political control of the country is in the hands of a
tiny native elite while the control of the economy is in the hands of
foreign corporations. This is what the WTO, the IMF, the WB, etc, are all
about. The right calls this the New World Order. The left calls it
Neo-Liberalism. Anarchists call it the Same Old Same Old. But what ever
you call it, it's exploitation and it's wrong.