-Caveat Lector-

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/092700/loc_092700031.shtml

Wednesday, September 27, 2000
Last modified at 4:22 p.m. on Wednesday, September 27, 2000
© 2000 - The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Sheriff's deputy kills man
Family says victim unarmed during child custody matter

By ELIZABETH LANGTON
Avalanche-Journal

A Lubbock sheriff's deputy shot and killed a man Tuesday just yards away
from where the victim's family had gathered for a birthday party.

Joe Cavazos Jr., 46, died about 6:45 p.m. in a ditch bordering a cotton
field at Woodrow Road and Interstate 27.

The shooting occurred across the road from Cavazos' parents' home, where
family members gathered Tuesday night to celebrate his mother's birthday.

Relatives who witnessed the shooting said it was unprovoked and that Cavazos
was unarmed.

The 10-year patrol deputy who shot Cavazos was placed on paid administrative
leave, Sheriff David Gutierrez said. He refused to release the officer's
name.

Gutierrez asked the Texas Rangers to investigate the shooting.

''I want a thorough, complete, independent investigation into this
shooting,'' he said. ''I've talked to the family, and they are handling it
very well under the circumstances. I assured them that we would have a
thorough investigation into this.''

Texas Ranger Warren Yeager, the investigating officer, was working at the
scene late Tuesday and was unavailable for comment.

Authorities released few details about the shooting.

The incident started when Children's Protective Services arrived at Cavazos'
parents' house and called for assistance from the Sheriff's Office on a
child custody matter, Gutierrez said.

One of the responding deputies shot Cavazos.

Jose Sr. and Viola Cavazos had custody of their grandsons, ages 4 and 7,
said their daughter Norma Berlanga. CPS workers came to the house looking
for the children's parents, who were barred from seeing the boys.

''CPS thought they were here, but they weren't here,'' Berlanga said. ''They
searched the house, but they weren't here.

''They (the children's parents) were going by the law; they weren't coming
over here.''

The CPS workers left but returned later with sheriff's deputies and a court
order to take the children, Berlanga said. As CPS officials left with the
children, Joe Cavazos Jr., the father, drove up to the house and saw them,
she said.

Cavazos Jr. followed the CPS vehicle, and the sheriff's deputies pulled in
behind him, said Cavazos' cousin Simon Castillo. Cavazos Jr. exited his
truck and ran toward the cotton field.

''The cops started chasing him. He was standing in the ditch,'' Castillo
said.

Two deputies with their guns drawn ordered Cavazos Jr. to the ground,
Castillo said, but he continued to stand and pleaded with them.

''He was telling them, 'I want to see my kids; I just want to see my kids,'
'' Castillo said.

One deputy then fired his gun, and the bullet struck the ground near
Cavazos' foot, Castillo said.

''I don't know if it hit him. But he reacted; he got scared. He just reacted
to the shot,'' he said. ''Then the cop shot him in the chest. The impact ­
he went up, and he just fell.''

Family friend Linda Arnold said she saw the first shot hit the ground, then
saw Cavazos fall after the second shot.''I didn't see any cause for them to
shoot him.''

Cavazos' body lay in the ditch covered by a white sheet for hours as law
enforcement officials conducted an investigation. Family members, many whom
came to celebrate Viola Cavazos' birthday, stood outside hugging and crying.

''I had rented a limo to take her to dinner,'' Berlanga said. ''We were
going to have a big birthday party.''

Viola Cavazos was taken to a hospital by ambulance after ''going into
shock,'' Berlanga said through tears. She looked toward the cluster of
officers on the road and said, ''I wish I could go see him and touch him and
say my last goodbye.''

Jose Cavazos Sr., who saw the shooting, said his son was a gentle person,
and the deputy has no reason to claim self-defense.

''The reason they shot him is because he wouldn't kneel down. He was just
murdered. He didn't have nothing; they just cut him down,'' the father said.
''That is a murder. ... They are not going to get away with it.''

Elizabeth Langton can be contacted at 766-8795 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is