-Caveat Lector-

: Please note that 2 articles follow:

: - Ann Summers to open sex shop in Mecca

: - Sex - a veritable Goldmine
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

: According to the Sunday London Telegraph of August 27th; and the Sydney
: Morning Herald of August 28th; the Ann Summers chain will open a sex shop
: in the Mecca International Mall. The Saudi government has not issued any
: denial since that time.

: "Ann Summers Ltd" is the name of an organization owned and operated by the
: Jewish Gold brothers of the UK under its umbrella organization, Gold
: International Ltd.

: Ann Summers operates a website at http://www.annsummers.com that leaves no
: doubt as to what they are: a perverted sex shop that specializes in whips
: and other bizarre sexual items. Their site promotes violence against women
: and features an applet showing the silhouette of a woman with a whip
: taking a bullet in the head.

: The very idea that such a sick and perverted zionist-owned shop could be
: allowed in Mecca under any circumstances is too shocking to accept.
: Forceful steps must be taken, and quickly, to prevent this from happening.
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

: (1)

: source:

: Sunday London Telegraph
: ISSUE 1920 Sunday 27 August 2000
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=003362877647376&rtmo=3mSSYx3M&atmo=tttttttd&pg=
: /et/00/8/27/wmecc27.html
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

: Ann Summers to open sex shop in Mecca
: By Andrew Alderson and Rajeev Syal
:
:   ANN Summers, the sex shop and lingerie chain, has been granted
: permission to open 22 shops in the Middle East, including one in the holy
: city of Mecca.

: The Telegraph has learned that "erotic stock" has already been shipped to
: Kuwait in preparation for the opening of the first shops in October.The
: branch in Saudi Arabia will be at the Mecca International Mall. Permission
: to open the stores was obtained through the company's Kuwait-based
: franchise, Makae/Top Ten International.

: Ann Summers, which has a turnover of more than #53 million a year, will
: not however be able to sell its range of sex toys in the Middle East,
: where such goods are illegal. It will restrict the first sales to exotic
: lingerie, leather goods and PVC bodywear. It hopes to introduce chocolate
: bodypaints and massage oils later. Other stores are due to open in Dubai,
: Bahrain, Egypt, Qatar, Abu Dhabi and, possibly, Oman. Twelve are due to
: open from October, the rest in the New Year.

: Noshaba Hussein, a leading member of the Iranian-backed Muslim Parliament
: of Great Britain, said she would lobby the Foreign Office and the Saudi
: Arabian ambassador to prevent the opening of the shops. "Who is supposed
: to buy these products? When Muslims go to the holy city they should only
: be indulging in prayer," she said.

: Only Muslims are allowed to enter Mecca, the holiest city in Islam, where
: public observance of any other religion is forbidden. Every year, tens of
: thousands of pilgrims make their way to Mecca and Medina for the Hajj
: pilgrimage. Mohamed Ayed Alenezi, the chairman of Makae, defended the
: expansion. "Nice and sexy lingerie is not against Islam," he said.

: Some Muslim clerics believe that Islamic married couples are allowed to
: share an interest in erotic underwear. Ayub Laher, the general secretary
: of the Bradford Council of Mosques, said that the shops would provide an
: outlet to explore fantasies: "Islam encourages a man and wife to please
: each other within the confines of their own homes. Underwear is allowed,
: massage oils can be part of innocent fun and as long as leather is not
: made out of pigskin, that is fine too."

: The shops will be staffed by men. Senior staff, including Jacqueline Gold,
: the chief executive of Ann Summers, will be replaced by male executives
: for the stores' openings.
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

:
: (2)

: Totally Jewish
: 5th September 00
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: http://www.totallyjewish.com/business/features/gold.shtml
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

:
: "People don't stop enjoying sex when money is tight"
:
: Sex - a veritable Goldmine
:
:   The transformation of Anne Summers has propelled Jacqueline Gold into
: the Jewish big business league

: Jacqueline Gold has successfully transformed Ann Summers from a couple of
: seedy sex shops inhabited by the dirty mac brigade into a #43million a
: year business run by women, for women.

: Realising that women want to enjoy sex on their own terms was something of
: a novel idea for the sex industry when Gold got involved in Ann Summers
: twenty years ago. "I went to a clothes party in a council flat in
: Thamesmead. The women there told me they'd love to buy sexy underwear but
: wouldn't dream of going into one of our shops. Our parties were a great
: solution," says Gold, who realised that a mix of a hen-party atmosphere
: coupled with raucous games was the perfect way to sell naughty underwear
: and vibrators to a group of female friends.

: Her intention was to make sex acceptable and fun. Although the company saw
: a dip in profits in the early 1990s, Gold is confident that the business
: is recession-proof. "Sex is an important part of everyone's life. We offer
: people products that are fun and affordable - people don't stop enjoying
: sex when money is tight," she says.

: And Gold was smart enough to realise that the male and female perception
: of what is sexy differs sharply. "Most of our employees are women -
: they've got a much better understanding of what our customers want. The
: original shops sold underwear that men thought was sexy - the typical red
: see-through nylon baby doll, edged in black lace. We've made a big effort
: to make our stores as female-friendly as possible."

: The business is also continuing to grow because Gold realised that the
: parties do not appeal to all types of women. Instead, she has spearheaded
: on-line sales, as well as beefing up brand awareness through high-street
: shops. Expanding worldwide is her next move, through franchises and joint
: ventures. "Expansion will be the key to our continued success. Initially,
: we're focussing on the English-speaking world. But we have had a great
: deal of interest from Japan, and are currently in negotiations with Saudi
: Arabia, believe it or not, so there are lots of opportunities," she says.

: Heading up a global sex empire isn't bad for a girl who left school at 18
: with plans to become a window dresser. But business acumen and a taste for
: the sex industry runs in the family - her father David and his brother
: Ralph are the renowned Gold brothers, who have amassed a #280 million
: fortune from their top-shelf publishing interests. Gold junior will one
: day take over as chair of Gold Group International - which also owns a
: charter airline and property as well as Sport Newspapers and part of
: Birmingham City Football Club.

: But taking over from her father was never a foregone conclusion - and the
: desire to prove to him that she could hack it in the world of business
: made her determined to succeed. "He was always very disappointed because
: he wanted a son to pass on the business to. Now he's very proud of what
: I've achieved with Ann Summers," she says.

: And the demure softly-spoken brunette says she has never fallen into the
: trap many women do of trying to act like a man to succeed in a male
: business: "It's precisely because the industry is so male-dominated that
: my softer, more feminine side has won the day. People think I'm shy, but I
: achieve what I want by being quietly manipulative."