-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 09/30/2000 1:32:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< An internal Pentagon report says that Clinton-era changes to the Department
 of Defense accounting and inventory procedures have "virtually eliminated war
 reserve levels of spare parts for both the Navy and the Air Force," reversing
 a decade-long effort of steady investment in vital military components.

 The report, dated May 11, says "despite ... current initiatives" that were
 only implemented last budget year to remedy the Pentagon's spare parts
 problems, "the [Defense Department] is likely to face parts challenges for
 the foreseeable future."

 Released from the office of the director for Readiness Programming and
 Assessment, the eight-page report said "spare parts shortages have been a
 major factor in lower reported equipment levels, particularly in ... aviation
 communities, for the last five to seven years." >>

Don't you just love the cute slant--"Clinton-era changes" indeed.  What
they're really saying is that at some point in the last eight years, the
GENERALS (God help us with such idiotic leaders in our miliary) screwed up.
I hate to bring it up, but the President hardly ever writes procedures for
the Pentagon.   If there's a problem here, it's based somewhere in that
mystical time when it was discovered that the military was paying hundreds of
times the price that civilians were paying for the same products.  Could
kickback have been involved?  Oh of course not.  Would our fearless leaders
have channeled orders to their friends?  Of course not.  It's been a while,
and so of course the American public (taxpaying sods that we are) has
forgotten all about being overcharged for spare parts.  So now there is this
CRISIS.  Oh my goodness.  Let's blame it on Clinton.  Let's not own up that
we can't really program properly.   What is it we call the excrement of the
male bovine?  Oh yes, I remember.  Prudy