-Caveat Lector-

[Intersting stuff.  Personally, I find it hard to dislike
this guy.  --MS]

http://magazines.enews.com/103000/trb103000.html

For more commentary by Andrew Sullivan, visit
http://www.andrewsullivan.com

The New Republic
10.30.00

TRB FROM WASHINGTON
Scoop
by Andrew Sullivan

If you're an American romantic, it's hard to beat the story of
Matt Drudge. Paperboy in Takoma Park, Maryland. High school
dropout. 7-Eleven shelf stocker for ready cash. Never makes it to
college. Moves to California. Spends his days working in the CBS
studio gift shop; spends his nights listening to talk radio and
police scanners. Picks up advance TV-ratings reports from the
trash cans of Hollywood executives, posts them in Internet
newsgroups, gets a following, starts his own website:
drudgereport.com. Helps almost bring down the president of the
United States.

Why hasn't Hollywood rushed a biopic into the movie theaters?
Beats me. They did it with Watergate, elevating Bob Woodward and
Carl Bernstein to superhero status for parlaying a source's leak
into the resignation of Richard Nixon. Woodward and Bernstein, of
course, were liberals, and therefore heroic. They were also
employees of The Washington Post, anointed sons in an old medium,
and so had instant credibility. Watergate was also a different
category of scandal than the Monica Lewinsky affair. But
still.... Drudge is not only uncelebrated. He's vilified. The
Lewinsky mess, whether or not you think it merited impeachment,
was a massive story. And Drudge was a key player, making history
from his basement apartment with a Radio Shack computer and no
journalistic training or institutional support against a White
House almost as ruthless as Nixon's. I tip my fedora to him.

You can tell the phoniness of the anti-Drudge consensus by its
blustering incoherence. Former White House spokesmen Joe Lockhart
and Mike McCurry often refused to answer press questions that
emanated from rumors circulated by Drudge. It was, they averred,
beneath them. Did it ever dawn on them that for almost a year
Drudge was telling the truth and the president was telling
grade-A, USDA-approved whoppers? You'd think the man who helped
break the Lewinsky story would have gained some level of respect
in its wake. But no. In the official wisdom of Washington, the
hacks who rewrite White House press releases day after day are
far more distinguished than the man Bill Clinton once referred to
as "Sludge." (Full disclosure: Drudge's site has carried a link
to my work for months, along with links to dozens of other
writers.)

When Drudge's ill-conceived TV show was canned last year, his
critics salivated. Frank Rich, a reliable barometer of
bien-pensant liberalism, unloaded this bizarre opinion:
"Journalistic watchdogs should be overjoyed at their nemesis's
ignominious exit from the tube. We should be thrilled that he no
longer has the power to terrorize the nation's news cycles with
his apocalyptic bulletins." The pooh-bahs of journalism schools
were equally dismissive. Marvin Kalb, Harvard's chief press
chin-stroker, has called Drudge a "conveyor of gossipy
information." Joan Konner, big macher at the Columbia Journalism
School, has said Drudge is "by no reasonable measure working in
the public interest." Give me a break. You can understand why the
White House or Hillary Clinton might be happy to see Drudge take
a fall. But fellow journalists? "Thrilled" that the man who was
the first to air the Lewinsky story might be silenced?
"Overjoyed" that a lone hack with a phone and a modem might be
quashed? Here's a brief list of stories Drudge has aired first:
the intern, the dress, the cigar, the MSNBC merger, Jack Kemp's
vice presidential nomination, Seinfeld's $1 million-per-episode
salary, Kathleen Willey's trauma, Princess Diana's death. In
recent months, Drudge has pioneered the story of Dick Cheney's
openly lesbian daughter and Hillary Clinton's hospitality in the
White House for her campaign donors. I don't know why Rich and
Konner think airing these stories is not in the public interest,
but it seems to me that hypocrisy, law-breaking, and
corner-cutting among our political leaders are subjects worth
raising.

Hasn't Drudge gotten lots of things wrong? Yes, he has. The worst
was the vile rumor that White House aide and TNR alum Sidney
Blumenthal was a wife-beater. But Drudge was contrite--more
contrite than The New York Times was after it virtually convicted
Wen Ho Lee of espionage; he withdrew the story and issued an
apology within 24 hours. He's gotten other things wrong, too. But
his site is transparent and accountable, and it doesn't pretend
to be the finished version of the news. I see no problem with
different news sources having different levels of reliability.
And no one in their right mind thinks they're getting The New
York Times when they read Drudge. On the other hand, the
difference between Drudge and the "mainstream" media is subtler
than the press establishment would like to admit. Drudge, for
example, didn't erroneously report as front-page news that the
polar ice cap is melting fast (that was the Times), and he didn't
agree to pay Richard Jewell a reported $500,000 for all but
accusing him of being a terrorist (NBC). He hasn't published
self-conscious fabrications, like The Boston Globe or, ahem, The
New Republic. He's far more likely to be accurate than the
talking heads on television. He does piggyback on others'
stories, but he doesn't plagiarize them. His occasional partisan
provocations--the obsession with Al Gore's fibs, for example—are
not always enlightening, but they have counterparts elsewhere.
How else to explain the Times' page-one airing of a nonstory
about subliminal rats, planted by the Democrats?

I think a large part of the reason for the excoriation of Drudge
is the defensiveness of a trade guild beaten at its own game.
Many American journalists like the notion that they're not just
hacks but rather guardians of our communal truth, a truth so
precious it has to be vetted and approved and blessed by the
media elite before it is fit for the benighted masses to imbibe.
The notion that anyone with a modem and a laptop can be a
journalist is truly terrifying to these people. When Drudge homes
in on the journalists themselves--exposing their stories before
they can, pressuring editors to be as open about their own
affairs as they are about others'--panic sets in. After all, this
little misanthrope now pulls in far more readers than he did in
the Lewinsky era. In numbers of visitors to his site, he rivals
large entities like Slate and Salon. In terms of what e-people
call "pageviews"—i.e., the number of times repeat visitors
actually click on and look at a page on your site—Drudge kicks
e-butt: more than Slate and Salon combined and in the same
ballpark as washingtonpost.com and abcnews.com. This year alone,
according to numbers posted daily on his site, his hits are up
almost one-third, and his new, lively, subliterate book, Drudge
Manifesto, is on the New York Times best-seller list.

The numbers tell you something. If you trust readers to separate
quality from dreck (and I trust them far more in this respect
than I do the Columbia Journalism Review), Drudge is not just a
commercial success but a journalistic one. If he were completely
unreliable, readers would turn off and move away. But they
haven't--and won't. I'm a Drudge addict myself, a recipient of
his constant instant messages--and the better for it. Anyone
committed to open journalism--a fallible, haphazard endeavor to
find out more things and let more people know about them--should
be copying Drudge, not scorning him. Vive la révolution, I say.
My fellow hacks have nothing to lose but their pretensions.

ANDREW SULLIVAN is a senior editor at TNR.

Copyright 2000, The New Republic

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                       ~~~~~~~~~~~     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>