-Caveat Lector-

How did a judge of this caliber reach the highest court in this
country......if this report is true this guy should be kicked off this
case and off the bench for surely, when you have a judge so prejudiced
why bother to put on such a dog and pony show for the press?   Surely
the American public is in for a treat now - watch Ginsburg, who too has
made up her mind - for by their fruits you shall know them.

Saba

Mail message

 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Fwd: XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN DEC
03, 2000 20:29:31 ET XXXXX

 To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<< XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN DEC 03, 2000 20:29:31 ET XXXXX
  CONTROVERSY SWIRLS AROUND

SUPREME JUSTICE BREYER; COMMENTS MADE BY GORE 'FRIEND' INDICATE
PREJUDICE
  As the nation waits for the US Supreme Court to rule, Justice
Stephen Breyer found himself in the middle of complete controversy after
Friday's historic oral arguments where he indicated how he had prejudice
against Florida's Secretary of State.
  Justice Breyer, appointed by the Clinton/Gore administration,
slipped during questioning and revealed just how Election 2000 has
become a bitter battle split down partisan lines -- even inside of the
land's highest court!
  Breyer stunned watchers inside of the courtroom as he grilled
Joseph Klock, a lawyer for Republican Secretary of State Katherine
Harris. Justice Breyer framed the debated by stating: Whether we win,
whether your side wins.
  "And now the secretary has certified a winner," Justice Breyer
declared. "And therefore, I guess, whether we win -- whether your side,
the side your supporting wins or loses, it doesn't change that."
  The Justice's view that he is on the opposing side of Secretary
Harris, who awarded George Bush the state's electoral votes, may be
rooted in the fact that Vice President Gore is a personal friend -- who
argued vigorously for the selection and conformation of Breyer to the
Court.
  Gore was a driving force during formal meetings held by President
Clinton's Supreme Court search team in the Spring of 1994. During the
sessions, a list of a dozen prospects were considered to fill retiring
Justice Harry Blackmun's seat. In the end, the nomination was given to
Breyer, a personal friend of Gore's.
  On July 8, 1994, Gore said of Breyer: "Just speaking in personal
terms, it is a great pleasure to be able to promote the virtue of this
particular nomination. He is a friend and he is obviously an outstanding
jurist... the more you know him, the more you come to appreciate what he
is really like -- his wife and his family and he, himself, are really
wonderful people... His whole approach to life, I think, is just a real
model. I think he's a wonderful person."
  Breyer's "whether we win, whether your side wins" comment made in
open court on Friday ignited nonstop conversations throughout
Washington, even though the nation's main press has remained silent on
the slip.
  Said one insider: "What if Justice Scalia had made such a
revealing comment? Or Clarence Thomas? Another media lynching would have
begun, at a minimum with calls for recusal from Jesse Jackson."
  One court staffer told the DRUDGE REPORT late Sunday, "I think you
can now understand why the justices would rather debate without
the
  glare of the camera, or even the broadcast microphone."
  A Gore campaign spokesman refused to comment for this report.