-Caveat Lector-

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 00:52:52 -0700 MICHAEL SPITZER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>-Caveat Lector-
>
>More casualties of the Clinton era
>
>DANA D.  KELLEY
>Arkansas Democrat Gazette
>December 3, 2000
<snip>

>Not only were flesh-and-blood Ar-kansans sacrificed in the name
>of Bill Clinton, but so were time-honored principles.  The
>now-infamous smear tactics were perfected to silence "bimbo
>eruptions" and other critics. Lying became an accepted, even
>preferred, method of garnering headlines and manipulating public
>opinion under the guise of "spin." Integrity went from being a
>hard-earned virtue to a relative measure.

Yes, they did all that and more....and it cost them 3 Speakers of the
House.

>Even as the Clinton administration wanes, it continues to claim
>casualties. The latest and perhaps most unexpected include Al
>Gore and Joe Lieberman.

The 'Witch Hunt' is still on.

<BIG snip>

>Bill Clinton will live forever in history books as an impeached
>president.  In his shadow, Al Gore has solidified his historical
>footnote as the only candidate to contest a certified
>presidential election.  That no other losing candidate has ever
>behaved in such a way speaks tellingly about the man who would do
>it now.

It sure does.  It took guts to challange a flawed result.  At the very
least, that challange has made it abundantly clear that the mechanics of
the system (if not the system itself)  we are currently using are greatly
flawed.  In a computer age we are still using a 1950's technology to
choose the winners of an election.

>Dana D. Kelley is a free-lance writer from Jonesboro.

Jayson R. Jones is a free-lance thinker from Oregon