-Caveat Lector-

SO WHY NOT STOP TAKING HER CALLS?
Those of us who served at the pleasure of the president knew Monica was
someone to pay attention to, not to offend, a person who could be volatilely
dangerous to all of us. She was the confidential assistant to our boss, Ken
Bacon, and he was happy with her. So we all made allowances. When I told my
supervisors my predicament, they said, ³Keep talking to her.²

IN OCTOBER ı97, YOU STARTED TAPING MONICAıS CALLS. WHY?
Because by then I realized that I was in the presidentıs personal
crosshairs, that he was pitting me against Monica, me against him. This did
not happen in a vacuum. If the competing scandals that had eaten me alive
for years hadnıt contributed to my state of mind, I might have been more
malleable. But I watched Mr. and Mrs. Clinton repeatedly break the law, and
now to be asked to help them break the law‹that was the straw that broke the
camelıs back.

WASNıT IT DURING A JULY 14, 1997, MEETING BETWEEN THE PRESIDENT AND MONICA
THAT YOUR NAME CAME INTO PLAY?
Yes, the conversation was all about me calling Bruce Lindsey. Monica never
told me about this meeting, but from then on, she started acting strangely,
badgering me every day to call Bruce. Iıd say, ³I did. And he chose not to
answer.² I wanted to say, ³Too late. He canıt fix it.² Because by now I was
talking extensively to Isikoff.

I encouraged her to tell the president that I knew about them, but she
didnıt. She was even more fearful he would discover that she told so many
people‹including D.C. cab drivers‹about their affair.

ON JULY 29, YOU FINALLY CALLED LINDSEY. WHY?
Monica showed me the Drudge Report, which broke the story about Kathleen,
and I wasnıt happy. I thought Isikoff had leaked it. Monica said, ³Now you
must call Bruce.² I did, and he got back to me in 30 seconds, very friendly.

WHAT DID HE WANT?
For me to meet with the presidentıs lawyer Bob Bennett‹to agree with their
assessment that Kathleen was unstable. Their typical nuts-and-sluts routine.
Bruce said more than once that he wanted me to know the president
emphatically denied her allegations.

WHAT DID YOU SAY?
I was terrified. I had a healthy respect for what the presidentıs protectors
could do. I still had the asinine idea that I could expose the story of his
corruption without it being attributed to me. I didnıt want to make Linda
Tripp a national name. Obviously, I failed.

IN AUGUST, ISIKOFF PUBLISHED HIS WILLEY STORY, QUOTING YOU BY NAME. HE
CLAIMS YOU KNEW IT WAS ON THE RECORD.
That is an outright lie. I never once talked to Michael Isikoff when it
wasnıt off-the-record.

IN THAT SAME ARTICLE, BOB BENNETT SAID, ³LINDA TRIPP IS NOT TO BE BELIEVED.²
Yeah, he called me a liar. I know that Bob Bennett does not speak on the
record unless itıs been cleared with the president. So, essentially I was
hearing from my employer, who could fire me at any second.

SO YOU CALLED LUCIANNE GOLDBERG AGAIN, SHE SAYS WITH ANOTHER BOOK IDEA.
We may have talked about a book, because I felt I had to come with a carrot;
otherwise she might not help. But if I really wanted to write a book, why
would I have dumped this entire story into the hands of a competing author,
Michael Isikoff? What I really wanted was advice on what to do with my
story. She gave me the best advice I ever got‹to arm myself with records. It
was she who suggested I start taping Monicaıs phone calls and, later, that I
report the story to the OIC.

WASNıT THE IDEA OF TAPING A FRIEND REPULSIVE?
It was instantly as hideous to me as to others. But what option did I have?
People act as if what I did was tantamount to murdering baby seals; all I
did was protect myself, my integrity, my kids.

HOW DID MONICA REACT WHEN YOU TOLD HER THAT YOUR TESTIMONY IN THE PAULA
JONES CASE WAS GOING TO DISCLOSE HER AFFAIR?
She was shocked. When Monica found out we had both been subpoenaed, I said,
³Under oath is different. I will not be blackmailed.² She really turned on
me when I told her I had given a complete written record to my lawyer in
case something happened to me.

HOW DID SHE TURN ON YOU?
She began relaying implied threats from the president about my safety, the
safety of my children, that the Clintons would always know my whereabouts,
and that I would never be able to stop looking over my shoulder. That losing
my job would be the least of my worries.

HOW COULD YOU BE SURE THESE IMPLIED THREATS CAME FROM THE PRESIDENT?
Because she would say things like, ³He says²; ³I would take him at his
word.² Plus, the timing: The threats usually came right after she had seen
him.

WERE THERE ACTUAL THREATS?
Someone left a ³body count² on my chair at work. Before the presidentıs
deposition in the Jones case, a list appeared naming the people who were
dead, not necessarily at the hands of, but in close association with, the
Clintons. It said, ³Thought you might find this of interest²‹with no
signature, and the handwriting was not Monicaıs.

OBVIOUSLY YOU TOOK IT SERIOUSLY.
I recalled something Isikoff said when I wouldnıt give him Monicaıs name,
because I was afraid. ³The more visible you are,² he said, ³the less chance
anything will happen. You are protected by going public.² In the end, that
was true.

WHY DID YOU FINALLY GO TO THE OIC?
Because it was the only law enforcement agency that was investigating the
White House, and I thought it was bipartisan.

YOUR CALL TO THE OIC LED TO YOUR INFAMOUS MEETING WITH MONICA ON JANUARY 13
AT THE RITZ-CARLTON. WHO SUGGESTED YOU WEAR A BODY WIRE?
It wasnıt me. I didnıt know about it until I showed up that day. A female
FBI agent taped the recorder, the size of a cassette, to my inner thigh,
which in my case didnıt make much difference, just a bigger lump. [Laughs]
The wires came up through my bra. It was intrusive and degrading.

COULDNıT YOU HAVE REFUSED?
I was either with them as their witness, or I was out there in limbo with
the president after me. I was thinking of white hats versus black hats, and
they were the white hats. Besides, they told me I had made ³errors in
judgment,² because I stopped documenting before I got evidence of the
conspiracy to fix the court case and cover it up.

HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN MONICA ARRIVED AT THE HOTEL?
Frightened. Terrified. Guilty. Every possible negative emotion. I thought
sheıd be able to tell I was upset, but she didnıt acknowledge it.

WHAT DID SHE SAY?
Her mission was still intact to get me to perjure myself. She used every
wile in her repertoire, including offering me her share in a condo in
Australia. I just kept repeating what my stepfather had told me: ³This isnıt
about left or right; itıs about right and wrong.²

WHILE YOU WERE IN THE LADIESı ROOM, SHE RIFLED THROUGH YOUR HANDBAG, LOOKING
FOR A TAPE RECORDER.
Monicaıs a bright girl. Since Iıd been saying for a month that I wasnıt
going to commit perjury, she figured that I was arming myself with records.
And she was right.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT TAPING HER?
No, the friendship was over. Monica made choices; so did I. And this is
where I ended up. Was it pleasant? No, but this was Monicaıs own making. She
had to deal with the consequences of her actions, just as I have had to deal
with mine.

WHY DID YOU HAVE A SECOND MEETING WITH HER?
The OIC told me I had to. I was never privy to their thinking; I was just a
pawn. They told me they were going to confront Monica, explain that if she
spoke with them honestly right then, they would promise her full immunity. I
said, ³Sheıll never talk. Sheıll say, ŒWhereıs my lawyer?ı²

SO YOU TURNED MONICA IN.
I did. It was part of the hell I was already in. When you cast your lot with
the devil, you are beholden to that devil. And for me, this devil was far
more agreeable.

SO, THE STARR PEOPLE ESCORTED YOU DOWN THE ESCALATOR OF THE PENTAGON CITY
MALL.
Actually, she was in the food court.

AND SHE SEES YOU?
I see her, she sees me, she sees the FBI agents. And itıs [claps] instant.

WHEN SHE SAID, ³HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?² YOU SAID, ³THEY DID IT TO ME,
TOO,² WHICH WASNıT TRUE.
I couldnıt bear for her to know I was in any way responsible. I felt
terribly guilty. But I thought sheıd be better off, and I believe she is.
She is certainly no longer suicidal.

WHEN WAS SHE SUICIDAL?
Different periods. Monica would call me up and say, ³My mother is in New
York, Iım all alone. Iım going to kill myself, because no one cares about
me.² Iıd stay on the phone with her all night calling doctors. But she never
went to any.

WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE OIC NAILED MONICA?
We all returned upstairs to a suite, and Monica insisted I sit there while
she screamed at me.. They finally let me leave because I had an interview
that evening with the Paula Jones people.

HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO MONICA SINCE?
No.

SO, WHAT DID THE PAULA JONES LAWYER WANT?
He didnıt ask about Kathleen, which surprised me. He wanted specifics about
Monica for his deposition with the president the next day.

AND WHAT DID YOU TELL HIM?
About the oral sex. When I finally read the presidentıs testimony, I was
stunned no one had worded the questions to make Clinton answer ³yes² or
³no.² He deflected pointed questions based on semantics. Her lawyers were
dealing with a polished liar; they were out of their league. When he denied
ever having been alone with Monica, it was an outright lie. He certainly
remembered when she was on her knees under his desk.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FAMILY WHEN THE STORY BROKE ON JANUARY 21?
We were infiltrated by the press, had to put sheets on our windows; my
children had to stay with their dad, while I was sent to a safe house for 30
days because of death threats. I was hysterical, couldnıt cope. Reporters
stayed outside our house in teams. Helicopters hovered overhead. I didnıt
drive for a year and a half, because if I did, thereıd be high-speed chases
with the paparazzi. The biggest thing I learned from all this was the
omnipotence of the media.

DID YOU WATCH THE TELEVISION COVERAGE?
Twenty-four hours a day, all those pundits. I would be shaking my head,
saying, ³No, that isnıt how it happened.² Finally, my daughter looked at me
one evening and said, ³Why is your head twitching?² I said, ³What do you
mean?² She said, ³Your head is doing this!² [Twitches head] And it was. I
figured it was neurological, then thought, Wait, itıs because of all this.
So I turned off the TV and havenıt watched since.

WHEN THE PRESIDENT, HILLARY BY HIS SIDE, DENIED HAVING SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH
³THAT WOMAN,² WHAT CROSSED YOUR MIND?
I knew it was orchestrated, right down to Mrs. Clintonıs yellow suit.

DID HE REALLY FORGET MONICAıS NAME?
I think on some subconscious level, he couldnıt say her name in the presence
of his wife. When I saw the presidentıs narrowing eyes and wagging finger, I
knew I was in big trouble.

BECAUSE?
He knew that I knew this wasnıt true. He just didnıt know there was
evidence.

ENTER THE BLUE, SEMEN-STAINED GAP DRESS. WHY DID YOU ENCOURAGE HER NOT TO
CLEAN IT?
The dress was Monicaıs insurance policy, just as my documentation [the
tapes] was mine. If she got rid of the one tangible piece of evidence that
proved she was telling the truth, all hope was gone. Remember, with
Clintonıs other women, there was never actual evidence. Besides, I knew
sheıd never dry-clean it. The stain was a badge of honor for Monica.

THROUGH OUT ALL THIS, DID YOU SEEK OUT THERAPY OR MEDICATION?
No, just lots and lots of doughnuts. [Laughs] I deal with everything bad in
my life through food. So, I ate and gained weight, which only made me look
more ominous.

THE PHOTOS OF YOU TAKEN DURING THAT TIME REALLY HAD AN EFFECT, DIDNıT THEY?
Yes, those horrible photos helped the White House defame me. And I helped
them by not taking care of myself. I wanted to sink into the earth,
disappear, come out different-looking. I tried to change my appearance many
times to make it less offensive, but didnıt know how. Which is why I decided
to have plastic surgery.

YOU HAD A FACE-LIFT.
Two. After the first surgery, I had severe complications, and the doctor,
rather than being concerned with my healing, went on his 15-minutes-of-fame
television tour. [Laughs] The corrective surgery took nine hours, but it
turned out wonderfully.

HOW ARE YOU PAYING YOUR LEGAL BILLS?
I eat my guts out about it every day, because I have a moral as well as a
legal obligation to ensure they are paid. But thereıs no way in my lifetime
I can do it. My legal defense fund, which has had almost the same number of
donors as President Clintonıs, has helped. Of course, he gets $10,000
donations, and I get $20. People who understand that this was a legal case,
not a soap opera, want to help me.

DIDNıT THE OIC LET YOU DOWN? YOU WERE THEIR CHIEF WITNESS UNTIL MONICA CAME
ALONG
And they didnıt need me anymore. You realize quickly that a witness is only
of value to a prosecutor when she can provide what they need.

THAT MUST HAVE HURT.
The whole thing hurt. By the time I got to the grand jury in 1998, the
country was saying, ³Letıs move on.² The jurors had heard the jokes, read
the unflattering descriptions‹I was a pariah.

IS THAT HOW YOU FELT DURING YOUR 13 DAYS OF TESTIMONY?
It was palpable. I thought, If I keep explaining it, theyıre gonna get it.
Some jurors even slept. At the end of my testimony, I was so disgusted, I
said, ³I give up.²

ON THE OTHER HAND, THE JURORS LOVED MONICA.
They embraced this poor, young girl whoıd been taken advantage of,
manipulated by an older woman, an innocent victim unlucky in love. Monica,
of course, didnıt leave out much in the sexual descriptions; I knew she
wouldnıt. Thereıs a validity in saying publicly that you provided services
to the president of the United States. Where she made the mistake was lying
about the cover-up of the affair, the job-for-silence part.

IN THE END, WHAT DID MONICA GET OUT OF THIS?
She has everything sheıs ever wanted, less President Clinton. And even that
may be something she still has hopes about. Sheıs got celebrity, the full
attention of her family. Things that were missing so dramatically in her
life have fallen into place.

WHAT HAVE BEEN THE REPERCUSSIONS FOR YOU?
I was forced from my home, because it was turned into a tourist trap. I was
fired from the project I ran at the Pentagon; I now go to a desk every day
at the Department of Defense, but I have no job description. I have a
20-year history of nothing but outstanding performance reviews and, yet, who
would want to hire me? Itıs the price you pay for whistle-blowing.

SO WHY ARE YOU STILL AT IT? YOU RECENTLY SUED THE WHITE HOUSE AND THE DOD.
WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?
The Greenwood Lake incident‹the lowest point for me in this whole thing. The
White House illegally released confidential information about me, which
should have been protected under the Privacy Act. For the first time in
history, the White House claims that the Privacy Act doesnıt apply to them.
But I had gotten top-secret clearance with this information in my file for
years. I never even told my children.

DID YOU CONSIDER THE IMPACT OF ALL OF THIS ON YOUR KIDS?
Theyıve been very supportive, but have paid an enormous price theyıll carry
the rest of their lives. When the Senate acquitted Clinton, my daughter
said‹and Iım still not over it‹³I guess what we get from all this is that
you should have just lied.² More than anything else, that hurt, that it had
all been for nothing.

WELL, WHAT DID YOU GET OUT OF ALL THIS, LINDA?
Itıs a good question. I have no problem with oral sex. [Laughs] It wasnıt
about bringing down the president. People say it was my parentsı vitriolic
divorce that made me react the way I did‹thatıs not true. It was about
getting the truth out. Iım tired of sounding Pollyannaish, because in
retrospect it sounds ridiculous, but at the time it seemed like the right
thing to do. What if I had agreed to lie under oath? The president could
have fired me the day after I submitted my perjurious affidavit. And what
recourse would I have had then?

HOW DO YOU RESPOND WHEN PEOPLE ASK, ³HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?²
I sleep well. I look in the mirror without a problem. I have absolutely no
regrets about what I did. I would do it all over again, only better and
sooner.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>