-Caveat Lector-

Wednesday, January 3 9:50 PM SGT

180 lashes for Nigerian teen mum to go ahead: governor

GUSAU, Nigeria, Jan 3 (AFP) -

The governor of the Nigerian state which has sentenced a 17 year-old-girl to 180
lashes for engaging in
pre-marital sex insisted Wednesday the punishment will be carried out.

Governor Ahmed Sani of Zamfara State told AFP that recent media reports that he
was under pressure
from the federal government not to allow the sentence to go ahead were false.

"We are under no pressure from anyone. The law is the law and people respect
that," Sani said.

"Even if the federal government issues an instruction it would have no reason to
do so. "We will go
ahead and carry out the punishment," he added.

The girl, Bariya Ibrahim Magazu, was sentenced in September by an Islamic court in
Tsafe in Zamfara
State to be lashed 180 times after she was discovered to be pregnant despite being
unmarried.

Asked who was the father, the girl named three middle-aged men from her village
who she said had
pressured her into engaging in sex.

The judge of the local Islamic court, Idris Usman Gusau, ruled that under the
terms of Islamic law
introduced in Zamfara last year, she had not proven her claims against the three
men.

He sentenced her to 80 lashes for pre-marital sex and 100 lashes for making
unproven claims against
the men.

The sentence is to be carried out around 40 days after the birth which took place
last week. Magazu
gave birth to a daughter who has yet to be named.

Several human rights groups, including Amnesty International, and the government
of Canada have
expressed concern about the case.

But in an interview with journalists last weekend, President Olusegun Obasanjo, a
Christian, said he will
not intervene.

Obasanjo has been criticised by many Christian leaders who see him as overcautious
in his reaction to
Islamic punishments being introduced by leaders of the mainly Muslim north.

An AFP correspondent who visited Magazu's village Tuesday said both mother and
child appeared
healthy but was prevented by family members from speaking to the girl.

The family said she would receive the punishment set by the court.

A court official told AFP no firm date had yet been set for the sentence to be
carried out but predicted it
would be around the end of January.

The punishment would be carried out on the floor of the court premises either by
police or Islamic
vigilante members, the court official said.

The case is the most high profile so far in a series of punishments carried out
since nine northern
Nigerian states voted last year to introduce strict Islamic law.

The measure is opposed by minority Christians in the north and by the Christian
majority in the south of
the country.